iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello to All-New to Forum  (Read 6709 times)

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Hello to All-New to Forum
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »

Hello. This is my first post on this forum but I have been reading up on all the wonderful information here for over a month. I wanted to introduce myself and give thanks to all who share their knowledge to help those of us starting out. I personally don't know anybody who knows how to play tops, so the information on this forum (as well as Pulpowsky's and yoyo-expert) has been a life saver. I am from Puerto Rico and although Spin Tops were traditional toys in my grandfather’s generation, today is  mostly a lost art. There are only a couple of artisans who still make the traditional wooden peg tops (I actually found one, and will later post a video of him turning a top for me).

Last May I bought a Saturno Roller for my 9 year old son while on vacation and in the process of learning how to throw it in order to teach my kid, I got hooked immediately. I’ve never been a player of skill toys, but something about the spin top just caught me.

Considering work, family and never having played with skill toys before I'm pretty proud of my progress. I have bought a few tops (BK,blizzard, saturno..),  but lately I am mostly playing a Giulia bearing and a trompo grande fixed with diabolo tip. I have 4” Watts on the way.

Right now I can do the tricks on the spintastics 8 award (except arm walker for some reason), plus boomerang, trapeze, wire walker, and a couple of others.
I started to go through the motions of regenerations and I can do (sometimes) up to two consecutive rollercoasters to hand with my trompo grande before losing speed.

I am mostly trying to concentrate now on learning or observing how the top react to different movements and string positions (which is not easy to figure out) and most importantly trying to improve my CONSISTENCY.

Learning tricks is difficult, doing them right consistently, now that is challenging.

Like I said, I wanted to introduce myself and I will probably be asking a lot of questions, but I will try to make them on threads that deal with the subject I am asking (that way it also helps other who research the subject).
Thanks again,
Juan
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:08:20 AM by Sabaspin »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Hello to All-New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »

Hello Juan (Sabaspin).  Great to have you with us.  I like that "saba spin".  Glad you are enjoying the thrill of top spinning.  Sorry to hear the spin top is a lost art in Puerto Rico.  We have a Puerto Rican family in our area and I have enjoyed seeing them get back into spinning again.

Keep up the good work.  Sounds like you are making nice progress!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Juan!  Sounds like you've gotten yourself into tops pretty deep.   :)   With a Gulia and a Watts you've armed yourself with some of the best tops in production, congratulations.  You're progress is impressive, you should make a video of your 8 patch tricks and get the patch!  Having a goal (for me at least) is great incentive.

Again, welcome and ask anything.  We're all here to help.

yollector

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »

Welcome to the Site !
           RFC

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »

Hello Juan (Sabaspin).  Great to have you with us. 
   Welcome to the Site !
           RFC
Thanks Earl and yollector for your welcoming words!

Welcome to the forum, Juan!  Sounds like you've gotten yourself into tops pretty deep.   :)   With a Gulia and a Watts you've armed yourself with some of the best tops in production, congratulations.  You're progress is impressive, you should make a video of your 8 patch tricks and get the patch!  Having a goal (for me at least) is great incentive.

Again, welcome and ask anything.  We're all here to help.
Thanks lincolnrick for your welcome. I will be making my 8 patch video soon. Do I have to send it to spintastics or just post it here?

The Saturno that I first bought, between my kid and me was virtually destroyed pretty fast, I look everywhere around and couldn't find any tops in Puerto Rico, so I ordered a BK and a Blizzard. AS soon as I learned to boomerang and after reading the forums I decided to buy the Giulia, that changed everything. I also wanted to buy a wooden top, for I really appreciate woodwork and started to look for someone here who made wooden tops. about a month ago, during and artisan fair, I started to ask around and was given the telephone number for Don Heraclio Cruz, who makes old fashioned wooden peg tops and that how the video that i will post came to be. I went to his house and he made the top right there. They are not trick tops, but they are sure beautiful. They are made fro Caoba wood ( I think its Mahogany). I took my Giulia and BK and showed him the bearing tops. He was really fascinated and asked my to get some tips and bearings and invited me to come back after summer to see what we can come up with. In the mean time I decided to get a Watts top ( no more buying tops for a while!! at least i'll try  ;D).

Here is the video.

http://youtu.be/RFFmp8kAbY4
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:28:27 PM by Sabaspin »

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 11:08:17 PM »

Welcome to the Site.  Nice Video!!!  There are a lot of Nice/Smart people on this site.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 11:20:36 PM »

He is very good at making the tops he likes, but would have liked to see how he installed the tip (nail?).
Looking forward to what you guys come up with using the bearings/tips.
WELCOME!!!!!!
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:25:46 PM »

¡Bienvenido, Juan!

You are hooked and progressing fast!  :)

Thanks for sharing the video.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:24:54 AM »

Welcome Sabaspin. Throwing - buying - making, and sharing is a lot of fun.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:57 AM »

Welcome Juan!
except arm walker for some reason
I had trouble with this trick too. I found that a top with a sharp point really helps.  Fixed tip is better. This trick is really difficult with a bearing top.  Don't lift your arm until after you get the top of you hand and onto your wrist. then slowly lift the arm.
Glad to have you here!
Kirk

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 06:01:10 AM »

welcome home sabaspin  ;)
excellent video
Here is the video.

http://youtu.be/RFFmp8kAbY4

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 08:11:04 AM »

Welcome.

Yes, arm walker is one of those tricks you have to get a good feel for with LOTS of practice.

Have fun

Dave

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 09:27:23 AM »

Thanks to all for your welcoming words.
He is very good at making the tops he likes, but would have liked to see how he installed the tip (nail?).
Looking forward to what you guys come up with using the bearings/tips.

He uses a nail. When I arrived, he had a bunch of wooden squares already cut in which he hammers a nail in the center and inserts the nail on the lathe (viewers right side) and uses the nail as the center to turn the top. The nails are not exactly perfectly straight, but that makes them super fun for battle tops to play over concrete.
As for when we try to make one with a spintastics diabolo tip or a hollow out one with a bearing tip, I have no idea how you get the tip inserted and in perfect center after turning the top, hopefully he will have a plan.