iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Joe Mauk Tops Show Video Production  (Read 3882 times)

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Joe Mauk Tops Show Video Production
« on: May 23, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »

Hi all, have enjoyed getting caught up a bit today on all the great posts the last month or so. Philippine summer (April/May) is our busiest time of year and we have hosted about 10,000 guests during this time. 

The big news is that starting tomorrow afternoon we will be doing a video shoot for a new tops show video.  My last one was made in 2001 at our former center on Lake Caliraya, Laguna, Philippines.  This one will be shot in our new auditorium here at the Rizal Re-Creation Center in Rizal, Laguna, Philippines. (www.re-creationcenter.com) We are transforming the auditorium into a studio so the effect should be less tied to a location or time.  This will probably be the last big video production I will do so we will try our best to make it one that can last a long time without seeming too dated.  We are aiming for a 30 minute final product of the main show.  We will shoot tomorrow afternoon and evening with a live audience and then Saturday will be for close-ups and detail shots. Will probably have 12-16 hours of shooting for the 30 minute final edit.

We plan to produce a DVD that has the tops show as the main feature and a bonus feature documentary (15-18 min) of making the biggest top in the world. Also thinking of adding two other bonus features of backgrounders on some of my tops and of my personal history of top-spinning involvement.  Anything you guys think would be good to add as a bonus, let me know and we will try to work it in if we can.  Have received the rough edit of the documentary already, it is excellent, but we are reserving another 2-3 minutes for what I hope will be zinging the biggest top in the world (check my progress post on re-thinking spinning the world's biggest top).

Glad to have you fellow-spinners at my back in these ventures, thanks!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Joe Mauk Tops Show Video Production
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »

This is great!  You can put me down for a DVD.

Is the "top show" mainly about tops or is it preaching the Gospel using tops?

The only suggestion I have is that it would be nice to also show a little of traditional top spinning from the Philippines (I imagine there must be some).

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »

Yes my "tops show" is preaching the gospel.  I do more than 200 shows a year here at our center and at outside invitations.  This is what I am known for and what I am requested for.  I occasionally do just a simple demonstration of tops and tops spinning for young children or television shows but the 30-45 minute "tops show" is a series of object lessons from tops similar to those done by the original "Gospel Top Spinner", Jim Schreiber.  By August, 2010, I had done 4,000 shows since arriving in the Philippines in 1980. I started doing shows in Australia in 1975 but didn't count how many.  Also have stopped counting since the August, 2010, milestone but can give a pretty good estimate year by year based on experience.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »

High Joe , Hi all !

you wrote that "Anything you guys think would be good to add as a bonus, let me know and we will try to work it in if we can.
it's a very teasing offer :!
you could use some of the collective videos which we edited in the past few years with people from around the world, revisiting some of the traditional spintop tricks: Jorge/TA0 has the master and there is no copyright

it depends on what you would like to see
it could be a super class fix tip routine by one of our maestros
or a simple sleeping beauty spinning forever on a glass plate while reciting a lecture on precession

wot U think ?

jim 8)

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »

Jim, thanks for the suggestions, will give it some thought. Right off I am not sure on the DVD inclusion but am very interested in including these things on a web page I am having designed: mrtrumpo.com 
I want it to have a good overview of the top spinning world so those things look like perfect items to include.  Thanks.
-Joe

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »

I occasionally do just a simple demonstration of tops and tops spinning for young children or television shows

Here an almost 3 minute TV spot from August 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZjmmNdgd_4

hermityo

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:02:52 AM »

What a great video. Must admit that I always like to go longer too!!!