iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 8280 times)

WaxyAxle

What am I doing wrong?
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:47:47 PM »

First off, hello everybody and thanks for letting me take part in your community.  I have been a long time lurker on this board so it is about time that I joined in the conversation. But for now I will spare you my skilltoys history and get on with my question.

I have picked up a few tops over the years but only recently have I really gotten the hang of it.  I have an Imperial that I can get a very consistent throw with but when I throw my Ripcord the results are a lot less consistent.  I often get a big snag before the top leaves the string and I haven't been able to figure out how to correct this.  I know the ripcord is considerably heavier so does this mean that I should be using a shorter/longer string?

Any help would be greatly appreciated so that I don't just throw my tops back in a box for a few more months until I forget why I got so frustrated agian.

Thanks everyone, Seth

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »

Hi Seth, welcome!

First of all, make sure you're not using the "winding groove" on the crown of Ripcord....they don't work like the originals did.  Just wind the top like you do the Imperial.  Next, check the string length...Duncan tops are notorious for coming with strings that are too short.  Check to see that the string winds to (or just past) the second groove up from the tip.  This should be long enough to work correctly.  Lastly, make sure when you release the top that the tip is pointing straight up and that you are throwing with enough force.

Good luck, and have fun!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 01:30:05 PM »

Welcome Seth! (is there something with names like Dale and Seth that seem to be much more common in this community than in the public at large?)

I bet Spin Queen is correct and you are using a string that is way too short for the Ripcord. I would recommend a wrap that finishes half way between the second and third grooves (close to the end of the rough surface finish).

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »

IMO, yo-yo'ers have a tendancy to throw too hard in the beggining.  Especially seasoned, rock-star-type yo-yoers.  I find the more aggressive you get with a rip-chord the more likely it binds or slips.  I'd ease up on it and just practice the throw to the ground.  Also, make the throw look as dorky as possible.  Seriously.  Arm straight out, no elbow movement, use your whole arm to push the top, stop your arm dead and simply let the top do it's thing.  Add power and decrease the robotics later.  Also, a tasty beverage helps.

Jeromy K.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »

I found if my first two wraps are not tight enough there will be a snag. I love ripcords, just find a o-ring to fit under the cap and the weight will be heavenly. But that is just me. Have fun and welcome to the form.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »

+1 on the tasty beverage, mmmm...

Seriously, try throwing a little more gently and perhaps more horizontal/parallel to the ground.  I used to get snags that came back wizzing toward my head; I was trying too hard.
Erratic Wobbler

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »

Forgot to say, on string length I get the best performance on a Rip-Chord if the string wraps at least halfway to the third ring from the tip, in other words, less than a quarter inch of the orange peel finish is showing.  If this makes the string too long for yer comfort, get fatter string, like Spintastic's large string - it can be shorter since it takes less length to wind to the optimum spot. 

Also, if you have a super-yo wildcat laying around, the weight rings fit purdy good in a rip-chord - i think i had to grind like a sixteenth of an inch off to get 'er to fit snug.

RunBMC

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »

i went trough this exact process!
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »

Yep, all of this sounds familiar to me too.  It felt like I would never get consistent throws but little by little........

It's been a great journey.  Seth, I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your top spinning progress as I have.  Welcome to the board.  I look forward to getting to know you better.

And by the way, what great responses to Seth and his initial question.  This is really a terrific online community!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

WaxyAxle

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 07:58:06 PM »

I have got to agree with Mike here.  Thank you all for the helpful responses.  I guess that is the difference between this and a yo-yo forum.

I was making a conscious effort not to throw very hard and to keep the point up and all that but it was the great Chris Neff whose advice worked for me.  I had the looking like a dork down already but the straight arm robot throw was most helpful, spinners and boomerangs with ease.  It was your recent P213 video that got be to pick up a top again anyway. 

And hey Mike Hout, I don't think that I live that far away from you or a few other people on this forum.  I'm in Cincinnati so hopefully I'll get to catch up with some of you.

Again thank you all for your help.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »

Yippeee!!!  Another from the Cincy area.  Wow, how exciting.  What are you doing tomorrow?

WaxyAxle

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 08:50:27 PM »

Tomorrow I will do the same as usual: take the kids to school and then get just enough done around the house so that my wife doesn't think I just sat around yo-yoing and spinning tops all day.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 09:12:22 AM »

Livin' the dream...

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 10:30:56 AM »

Tomorrow I will do the same as usual: take the kids to school and then get just enough done around the house so that my wife doesn't think I just sat around yo-yoing and spinning tops all day.

I resurrect the claim that we need a jealousy emote.  I go to the department and do just enough to make my adviser think I don't just sit around and spin tops all day.
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »

And hey Mike Hout, I don't think that I live that far away from you or a few other people on this forum.  I'm in Cincinnati so hopefully I'll get to catch up with some of you.

Cincinnati is becoming somewhat of an amateur hot spot for tops.  With our lastest Spintastics order (received Friday) we had two additional physics students from the first floor receive tops--that's six players willing to invest at least $11 in a toy all in one location. ;D  A simple low cost investment has increased their desire to advance their skills and set goals based on the Spintastics trick list.  Some 'Instructor' patches may be earned if the trend continues.

WaxyAxle--perhaps some errands can justify (or camouflage) a trip to UC to meet our spinners.  Although we aren't the best players and can't always offer the quality advice you can get from the board, we can offer to watch you practice and provide a real time perspective of your technique.   We have lots of experience watching and participating in failed trick attempts and perhaps can at least identify what goes wrong if not offer a correction for the 24 tricks of the patch award list.

Mike gets Tuesdays off and is a spur-of-the-moment visitor to UC so keep an excuse handy for emergency purposes.  He's a great guy and awesome for top spinning inspiration.
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up