iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Duncan Tour and the aluminum Bearing King news  (Read 5137 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Duncan Tour and the aluminum Bearing King news
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:09:48 AM »

Saturday I drove to San Marcos, 40 minutes north of San Antonio, to catch the Duncan 80th Anniversary Tour (I have no idea why they would stop in a town of 50 thousand and not in a city of 1.3 million  ???) A major reason of going was that Kyle Weems lives there so I wanted to get the latest news about the new metal Bearing King.

It was a nice sunny day and it was great to hang out with Duncan demonstrators Jack Ringca and Seth Peterson (Hank Freeman had just left the tour), ultimate yo-yo collector Tom Cunningham (oldyoyoguy) and Kyo.

Kyo says he will finish the design in a couple of weeks and that there is an outside possibility that the tops will be available by Christmas time. He thought he would have to give up either the bearing version or the one-way bearing version because he discovered that the actual diameter of the later is just a tinny bit wider than the standard Duncan bearing and he could not fit the two in the same well. I suggested that he uses one well (e.g. the outside) for the normal bearing and the other for the one-way bearing, as single bearing tops work fine. He liked the idea and he will consider it. What is sure is that the tip will be lockable for regular fixed tip play. Kyo will visit me in San Antonio so I can test them  ;D

I showed a couple of kids how to throw a top (hopefully they'll come by this forum). They bought Ripcords and I gave Jack a hard time when one of them opened the package and the string was only about 5 feet long! Jack assured me that the new ones are coming out with 6.5 feet long string. If I understood correctly, in the future Duncan will sell only Ripcord bodies, some converted to Bearing Kings (or with conversion kits, not sure). Until now, the colors of BK and Ripcords were different and BKs did not come with power spinners.

Jack and Kyo showed me how to do Tour Eiffel in the cradle: thanks!

I wasn't planning to buy another diabolo anytime soon. But when I saw the packaging of the Duncan diabolo with Takeshi pictured all around the package and in the instructions sheet, I had to get it  ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:57:57 PM by ta0 »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: Duncan Tour and the aluminum Bearing King news
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »

Thanks Ta0!  I agree the packaging with Takeshi was a cool bonus.  Let's hope for the best with these new Duncan tops--I can't wait to try 'em.  I hope they stick with the one way bearing.

Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:41:57 PM »

Great pics.  Glad you got to see part of the tour.  I missed the tour when it went by our area.

Jack Ringca is a big supporter of top spinning.  He has competed in the sports division at worlds a number of times (and I think he has won it a couple of times, too).

Did anyone else throw tops with you or show any interest in top spinning?

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:30:25 PM »

They only had one bearing king as a tester top (without tape: it already had one locking side broken). A couple of kids threw it upon my instructions (on the hard sidewalk  ::) Besides that, I was the only one throwing tops (it was a little gathering, commensurable to the size of the town). But I was surprised that your pal Seth told me towards the end that he was trying to develop a trick he started practicing with Takeshi (pretty difficult from his description.) Perhaps you two can throw tops together at worlds next year  ;) Anyway, Felix is joining the tour latter on, so he may bring more top spinning to it.

Kyle told me the reason of the step between the tip and the body on the second prototype batch: a misunderstanding. On the first proto (the one at Nats 08) the body was exactly flash with the tip. Takeshi suggested that the tip could be slightly smaller so the string would never catch when sliding from the body to the tip. Kyle communicated this to the machinist, but he didn't get the slightly part and made that big step.

Kyle asked me what I preferred in case the top could only be either bearing or one-way bearing (in both cases lockable). I told him they had to go one-way bearing, no doubt, because nobody else has it right now.  By the way, I guess YYF tried the same one-way bearings and encountered the same problem of a very slightly larger size above the specs. Those were the ones that ended up fixed tip Acrobats (purple body).

According to him, as soon as he approves the prototypes they go into production. But this is going to be a very limited production, about 200. They don't expect to sell more (clue: they will be expensive). Of course, if the sell fast they will make more.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:32:09 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 03:12:59 AM »

Probably any way Seth would throw a top would be more complicated than the last way I saw him throw one.....it was one of mine at worlds and he simply cranked his arm back and threw it across the room.  My son, SpinQueen and I sang songs about it until the wee hours of the morning.

Glad to hear he is working on how to throw a top correctly!

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 11:41:59 AM »

Ha ha, we did have a great time singing that night didn't we ;)   Yes, Seth did launch Mikes top across the room but that wasn't the worst of it.  He left US to look for it, and finding it proved to be a challenge.   I don't know why he seems to have it in for you Mike...I have my guesses, but it would only be speculation.  He's always been cool with me...granted, he is an "in your face" kinda guy...and "what you see is what you get", but I actually prefer that to the quiet sort who pretends to like you to your face and then talks about you behind you back. 

I'm curious to see what Seth's new tricks look like.  He has some great tricks already and he's very creative with a bearing top.  He's my opposite when it comes to performing....he'll get up on the stage w/out practicing and throw something together and I won't go near the stage w/out having some sort of rehearsed "plan" in mind.   Seth's a risk taker...sometimes that's paid off for him and other times it hasn't.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 01:17:47 PM »

Ha ha, we did have a great time singing that night didn't we ;)   Yes, Seth did launch Mikes top across the room but that wasn't the worst of it.  He left US to look for it, and finding it proved to be a challenge.   I don't know why he seems to have it in for you Mike...I have my guesses, but it would only be speculation.  He's always been cool with me...granted, he is an "in your face" kinda guy...and "what you see is what you get", but I actually prefer that to the quiet sort who pretends to like you to your face and then talks about you behind you back. 

I'm curious to see what Seth's new tricks look like.  He has some great tricks already and he's very creative with a bearing top.  He's my opposite when it comes to performing....he'll get up on the stage w/out practicing and throw something together and I won't go near the stage w/out having some sort of rehearsed "plan" in mind.   Seth's a risk taker...sometimes that's paid off for him and other times it hasn't.

You are not confusing Boyd Seth with Seth P., are you? Didn't Mike lend the top to Boyd but Seth P. took it from him and launched it? Perhaps you sang to the wrong guy? Al last Worlds Seth P. went out of his way to talk to Mike.  He surely felt guilty for what had happened the previous year "under the influence".
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:44:26 PM by ta0 »

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »

Oh yeah, that's right!   I remember hearing how sorry Seth P. was and everyone saying what a nice guy he usually was.  He did throw the top.  But Boyd didn't help us look for it and he was the one who borrowed it in the first place.  I don't think Seth knew it was Mikes top, he probobly thought it was Boyds.  All those Seths confused me.....I think we actually did sing about both Seths though ;)  It's Boyd S who has it in for Mike, not Seth P.  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 05:41:05 PM »

Yes, it's a hard life with every Seth in the book having it in for me. ;)

Actually, I have been getting a long fine with the Seth's around here and the Seth's at worlds.......at least face to face.  Who knows what they are saying about me behind my back (just joking Seth and Seth and any other Seth who may read this in the future).

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as I did that night when we were making up songs about Seth throwing the top across the room with wacky rhymes and great harmony from SpinQueen and nice rhythm from Joe.  We really had the yo-yo world wondering what was going on.