iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kongzhus Cometh  (Read 3918 times)

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Kongzhus Cometh
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »

Hello everyone,   I decided to share my living room with you. At least one corner for now. The KONGZHU corner. I did tidy it up for the photos. I mentioned previously that I recently have become under the spell of the Kongzhu. It is a joyous toy.  Kongzhus come in many shapes and sizes. There are HULA HOOP Kongzhus that spin around your body, 2 man kongzhus, a peacock for spinning multiple kongzhus, short , long and incredibly long handsticks. One set of  handsticks are 25 feet long. You need a football field to use them. I do juggle and spin kongzhus and tops in the room and amazingly my wife allows it. I've broken lamps and end tables and we do need to patch and paint the room rather frequently. Needless to mention that its worth it.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Kongzhus Cometh
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:59:37 PM »

Amazing.  Simply amazing!!!

You also answered one of the questions I had about you.  So you are married.  And you say your wife loves you more than ta0's wife (since you are allowed to spin things in the living room).
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 11:42:23 PM »

:o :o :o :o :o 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

INCREDIBLE!!!
And you had to ship all this from China and figure out how to use it by yourself !  :o

What is the deal with the kongzhu  on the bicycle wheel (or is it a unicycle)? Don't tell me the wheel came from China!  ???

What looks like a flower vase on the left corner of the fireplace step is also a kongzhu, isn't it?

Can you successfully use the peacock? And the super-long sticks?

Thanks a lot for sharing this.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:14:01 AM »

What an amazing collection, such variety! 
To think of all the hours, trial and error, coming up the learning curve.

Jim you are an astounding man! (With a very understanding wife  :))

Thanks so much for the photos.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »

I am curious to hear more about the round wire ring with the handle.  I would like to have one of those to spin Kongzhus in one hand like you!

yollector

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:29:50 PM »

Great Collection !
          RFC

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »

The bicycle wheel is something I put together. It works great. The kongzhu spins the wheel. I put a set of LED bicycle wheel lights on the rim and it looks truly amazing in the dark. And yes, I can do the peacock. It was the most difficult prop to learn. It took a long while to figure out how to wrap the kongzhus. I can use the 3 foot and 6 foot handsticks. The 25 foot stick has eluded me. There is no where to practice them and they are almost too heavy to hold. The flower vase is spinable. Frying pan lids spin great also. The rings that I spin a kongzhu on Are called Sun and Moon rings. I am not sure what I do with them is what they are meant to do. Mike, you can try them at Purdue. And thats not all.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:36:37 AM »

ooo thats quite collection very nice. i have a question: what is that in the top second to left cubbie in the that white shelf on the wall????

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 07:15:31 PM »

That top came with a batch of tops I purchased on E bay. I'm really not sure how it works.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »

That top came with a batch of tops I purchased on E bay. I'm really not sure how it works.

ah, the reason i ask is becuase im pretty sure thats an old darning "mushroom" lol i have few of those things lying around

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

i have a question: what is that in the top second to left cubbie in the that white shelf on the wall????
ah, the reason i ask is becuase im pretty sure thats an old darning "mushroom" lol i have few of those things lying around

Is that a top for sure?  I have not seen one like that before.
The "mushroom" tops I know are whip tops, which are different.
That one looks too tall to spin well.  Perhaps it could be played as a monobolo.

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »

Your right. I'm not sure how I would even spin it. Like a monobolo?     Hmmmmmm?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »

I had a kongzhu adventure this morning and was looking for a place to share it when I ran across this old thread.  What terrific pictures of your living room!  I enjoyed looking at them again and thought there might be others who have not seen all of this magical wonder!!!

Anyway, here is my kongzhu adventure.  Across the street is the Roman Catholic Church and they are having a day camp for the children.  They have asked me to come to this for a number of years because their theme is "wheels".  I bring some unicycles and a high wheel bike and talk about how to get on and how to get off and riding in parades etc.  This year I noticed the sign said "wheels and whirligigs" so I grabbed my bag of spinning things from the car and asked if they would want to see some whirligigs.  All went fine until I got to the kongzhu (which is the obvious finale because it gets so loud).  When it was at the peak of obnoxious whistling noise it suddenly started wobbling like crazy.  Before I knew it, the kongzhu broke apart and the spinning end went into the crowd and up a guys arm!!!  Thankfully, everyone was OK.  I was truly embarrassed but, get this, the kids loved it and wanted me to do that thing again where it comes apart and jumps into the audience!!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:51:31 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 10:57:52 AM »

I had a kongzhu adventure this morning and was looking for a place to share it when I ran across this old thread.  What terrific pictures of your living room!  I enjoyed looking at them again and thought there might be others who have not seen all of this magical wonder!!!

Anyway, here is my kongzhu adventure.  Across the street is the Roman Catholic Church and they are having a day camp for the children.  They have asked me to come to this for a number of years because their theme is "wheels".  I bring some unicycles and a high wheel bike and talk about how to get on and how to get off and riding in parades etc.  This year I noticed the sign said "wheels and whirligigs" so I grabbed my bag of spinning things from the car and asked if they would want to see some whirligigs.  All went fine until I got to the kongzhu (which is the obvious finale because it gets so loud).  When it was at the peak of obnoxious whistling noise it suddenly started wobbling like crazy.  Before I knew it, the kongzhu broke apart and the spinning end went into the crowd and up a guys arm!!!  Thankfully, everyone was OK.  I was truly embarrassed but, get this, the kids loved it and wanted me to do that thing again where it comes apart and jumps into the audience!!!

ha!!! thats hilarious  ;D exploding kongzhus!!! that should be a new thing  ;D
excellent excellent  ;D

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 11:22:21 AM »

Fantastic Mike!  It must have taken a lot of practice for you to time the finale perfectly.  Bravo!
I’m sure everyone there will long remember your performance.
Any chance it was recorded?

I wonder if they’ll invite you back next year and what other dramatic ending you’ll come up with.

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 01:52:19 PM »

Exploding Kongzhu!!! What a great idea. Better yet. The audience thought it was your best trick.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 02:24:31 PM »

For anyone as ignorant of kungzhus as I was on first reading this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6CbSF8MZDg
Playing with the physical world through LEGO
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up