iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: De Agony of De Feet  (Read 5634 times)

kevinm

De Agony of De Feet
« on: November 01, 2009, 09:01:21 PM »

How come when you guys do a corkscrew it doesn't fall off the string onto your foot and roll under
the chair? I seem to be missing the part where you get the top to tilt onto a trapeze? I believe I have
everything right, until the (proper) exit.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
Re: De Agony of De Feet
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »

Being a newcomer like yourself, I understand what chasing a top feels like.  Personally, I end in more of a rollercoaster fashion.  With all the practice I do at the rollercoaster, this is a very convenient method of dismount.
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

kevinm

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »

what is the trick to keeping it on the string, is it the way you initially wrap the tip, or is it keeping a proper tension on it? i seldom keep it going at the end of the last wrap.
maybe it's because i am used to yo-yo trick instructions, but there doesn't seem to be an established vocabulary for explaining mounts, dismounts stuff like that w/tops.

agentsac

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 05:34:50 PM »

there are many ways to finish off a corkscrew. if you are quick you can bind the tip at the end with the running end of the string in your non-throw hand and do a gyro flop. if you are just trying to get the top to tilt at the end (in other words, go from a vertical top for the corkscrews to a horizontal top) it should do it almost automatically. i mean, i've never really noticed how it happens, but the top always tilts at the end for me. (you can even see in ta0's trick video that it naturally tilts throughout the trick). i think it may be because at the end my arm naturally stops revolving around the top and by making a slow wide arc at the end it causes the tilt. usually i try to avoid this and just pop the top back to my hand, so i try to correct any tilt at the end for a good catch.

i know this isn't much help, but i never had the problem you are describing.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:28:21 PM »

Are you using a Throwback by any chance?  :D That would be difficult to tilt if it has a good spin left. The BK on the other hand will lean into a trapeze almost by itself.

At the end of the corkscrew give it string with the left hand as if you wanted the top to go into a large circle (but don't give it too much slack so you don't lose it). It also helps to move the corkscrew arm towards the center. That should do it, I think.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:16:32 PM »

I am very familiar with what you are describing, yocephus.  This was my problem for the longest time when I was trying to learn this for the compulsaries. 

Here's my tip.  When you get to the finish of the corkscrew, move your whole body to the left with the top (I used to even take a step to the left) and that seems to allow the top to better stay on the string before you go to whatever dismount you want to do.

ps.....guess how many posts I have?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

kevinm

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »

I am very familiar with what you are describing, yocephus.  This was my problem for the longest time when I was trying to learn this for the compulsaries. 

Here's my tip.  When you get to the finish of the corkscrew, move your whole body to the left with the top (I used to even take a step to the left) and that seems to allow the top to better stay on the string before you go to whatever dismount you want to do.

ps.....guess how many posts I have?
thank you all for your tips, i am not using a throwback, i started with a blizzard, but seem to have better luck w/a
bearing tip rip cord.
pretty sure i am doing something wrong with my arm, i'm going to work on moving it more to center, maybe  lower it too, it seems like sometimes i see people lower the forearm at the end.
now mike, for the math question, not my strong point, but i'm going to guess almost 300??

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »

Ha ha, math isn't my strong point either yocephus ...if you look below everyones forum name (on the left hand side of each post) there's a number that represents the number of posts each person has made ;)   You got the 300 for Mike right!

As for Corkscrew, no need to lower the forearm. Try finishing the trick ala merry go round. With the string in your left hand, as the top finishes coming down your right arm, make a counter clockwise circle with "both" your left hand string and your right elbow string. You can bring the two parts of the string closer together if you find that helps.  Control the top just as you would merry-go-round to bring the top back up to your hand.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 05:25:04 AM »

hello there !!
i've recently (finally) got the corskscrew.... here is a video i posted 2 months ago  :  with the bigtopdog you can see clearly the different steps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izD8cCpx-Es
I agree with the " à la merrygoround" exit
 just keep the circular motion for a while

when you get it , open a bottle on us  :D

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

kevinm

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 07:49:50 PM »

hello there !!
i've recently (finally) got the corskscrew.... here is a video i posted 2 months ago  :  with the bigtopdog you can see clearly the different steps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izD8cCpx-Es
I agree with the " à la merrygoround" exit
 just keep the circular motion for a while

when you get it , open a bottle on us  :D

jim

thanks! excellent video. i'm going to open up a bottle to celebrate your video because i can't wait until i get this down, i spent my lunch break poking around in the high grass behind the shop looking for my BK tip wherever it
flew off too..... anyways yes, then another bottle when i get the trick.