iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Monark Top  (Read 30473 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: The Monark Top
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »

Thanks for your insights.  I enjoy reading about everything that has gone into the development of top spinning through the years.

So, Herman, what are you doing in late August?  Want to come as our special guest to the Whirled Top Festival in Miamisburg, Ohio? 
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Received an early Monarc...
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2010, 11:18:06 PM »

Yesterday I received an early Monarc from Mr. Spin-Top.  To me the early Monarc might weigh a tad bit less than the later ToyCrafter Monarch. And the early Monarc point is shaped and feels close to a Duncan point to me. Now I see how the later Monarch point is shaped differently. The later ToyCrafter Monarch, Toss-N-Spin and 'What's Next 'BC' Classic wood top had the same kind of point. The Spintastics Sidewinder point is made out of the same material as the later Monarch with the exception that the Sidewinder point is beveled with a neck/throat making it play somewhat better when doing string tricks…(I'll be switching to steel point soon for Sidewinder after I receive it.)(Looks like I might replace my Monarc with a steel point Sidewinder here shortly.)(I still probably might spin the Monarc occasionally though.) One more thing with the early Monarc, Not that long after spinning with it I did happen to notice that plastic smell. I'm not for sure if the odor is from how long the top was in storage or if it's just the plastic itself. But the smell is bothering me. I might put an early Monarc point into a later Monarch top. I do like the Monarc top though and I would like to still spin it some. Thanks to Mr. Spin-Top…

The package paper.   

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 10:24:08 AM »

Herman!  Welcome to the forum, and thanks for all your history and comments on the Monarch, and on tops and tips in general!  You are absolutely right that I knew pretty much nothing about designing the tops and tips for best trick action.  I knew how to spin on the floor, and do a boomerang, and once in a great while I could do the string walker to my other hand.  I was a lot more interested in the huge variety of tops - spun in dozens of different ways - made from a wide variety of materials, etc.  I was however very committed to making old fashioned "peg tops" as I called them - first in wood, and then in plastic when I ran into Don Winters, Byron Watts, Walter Watts, etc. and their Monarch mold.  Even a non top spinner could see the big quality difference from the Duncans.  The tip change was for a couple of different reasons.  The original mold only created two tips per top, and I wanted there to be replacements available.  Even as a novice, I thought the original top tip was too rounded and making the tips from the same plastic as the top made for a short lifespan.  I plead guilty on my replacement tip being possibly too sharp. (I pretty much always gave a new one a quick spin on a rough surface)  It was just too expensive to change the mold, so they stayed fairly lethal for the duration.  The plastic used was a combination of nylon and fiberglass for longer life.

I completely agree that the yellow nylon mason's line that I packaged with them was pretty bad - if not actually terrible?  I hunted all over for better string, but was never able to find a good source.  To this day I prefer my old Duncan strings - of which I have a small stash -  I always soak a "new" one in hot water for a bit to soften it and get out the kinks from 20+ years wound around the button before use.

You are absolutely right that I never made a penny on "peg tops"..... in fact, they cost me a lot, but for a guy who made tops for a living, it just did not seem right to leave out the top that (outside of the metal pump top) is the classic image everyone thinks of when they think "top".

Don't know if I've covered everything, but thanks for the kind words!  I was very excited to meet you low these many years ago, and for all the stuff you shared with me.... including I think, some "video" stuff.  You should post some of those videos here for all to see.  I remember being amazed when you told me you had worked out a triple string walker.  In my next lifetime, I'll consult with you and the others on this forum on the design of my tops, though I don't think I could come up with any consensus..... :-\ :-\ :-\
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 06:24:16 PM »

I have always found it shocking to know that Toycrafter never made any money on peg tops.  Now I read that there is even more to the story.  It cost silvertop and his company a lot of money to make peg tops!!!  That is so weird.........and so sad.

Don Olney and Herman Lau - how would you both like to come to Miamisburg in late August?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 12:12:52 PM »

Inviting Don and Herman to Miamisburg is a bit selfish (but it at least gets the conversation started).  Actually, we should do all we can to get Don and Herman at worlds so everyone can enjoy them!

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »

Or maybe everyone should come to miamisburg  ;)

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 06:10:08 PM »

It is good to see more on the Morarc top.  Thanks for posting.   :)
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Received an early Monarc...
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56:09 PM »

(I'll be switching to steel point soon for Sidewinder after I receive it.)(Looks like I might replace my Monarc with a steel point Sidewinder here shortly.)(I still probably might spin the Monarc occasionally though.)

Just received a steel point for my Sidewinder today and looks like I'll now be replacing my Monarc with a steel point Sidewinder. The steel point did make a difference.
 Well now I don't have to think about my Monarc coming apart or smelling that plastic odor any longer. I will kind of miss spinning my Monarc though...

Thanks to those who had their part in making the Monarc.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »

Another little something about the Monarc from Dwight (Mr. Spin-Top) Paulson about the loop at the end of the string, the anchor ring that slips over your finger when tossing the top, and also that plastic smell...

' I tried to help kids be able to spin it quick and winding and holding were the two tough spots to learn. We had the tops made of plastic scrapes that the injector had at the time so sometimes got plastic that was odd and even smelled funny.'

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 12:44:07 AM »

Somehow, I recently found myself talking with some different people about the Monarc top.  I then went out and found this thread with a lot of good information about it.  One of the questions that often comes up is "where is the original Monarc mold?"  I see where it is talked about in this thread but I cannot quite figure out if anyone knows where it is.  Can anyone shed some light on this?