iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Worlds 2014 - Prague preparation thread  (Read 14489 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Worlds 2014 - Prague preparation thread
« on: March 25, 2014, 12:44:29 PM »

I just got my plane tickets  ;D  I am using frequent flyer miles for part of the trip what limited my options, so I am arriving the morning of the 7th.

To recap, worlds this year will take place in Prague, Czech Republic, from Thursday the 7th until Saturday the 9th of August.

If you can get there, Prague and the contest are relatively affordable.  There are even hostel (bed) accommodations very well located for 16 euros (about $22) per night (but I am probably too old for this  ::) ). The  3-day entrance pass is 12 euros (about $17).  If you are competing in tops, there is a general competitor fee of $20 (includes entrance, but will go up in May) plus $20 for the Spintop division.

Yesterday, the sales manager of Cometa called me.  Humberto was interested in knowing about it, so it is likely that Cometa will be represented. With Tyler, Jakub and Daniel already there, this promises to be a great spintop contest.  Anybody else?

In addition to spintops, the general vibe of the yo-yo contest should be fabulous, with more than 1000 players from over 30 countries expected.  Add the charm of Prague and it should be a memorable experience.

By the way, I am leaving Prague on Monday 11th for Paris where I will stay a couple of days  ;)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:49:02 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Worlds 2014 - Prague preparation thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »

good news !!!!

what is NOT cool ::: if you are competing in tops, there is a general competitor fee of $20 (includes entrance, but will go up in May) plus $20 for the Spintop division.

how far should performers PAY for their performance??

this is not my vision of things

jim
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:26:48 AM by jim in paris »
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »

I was reading the sponsoring packet at it says that the contest will be streamed in HD and they expect 100,000 viewers!  :o  However, it also says there are "about 20 thousand active members within the competition world yo-yo community."  :-\

It also says they are expecting 1,500 attendees. If that happens it would double the number in past worlds  :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:58:27 PM by ta0 »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »

I hope you guys have the best time ever!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »

It all sounds so exciting.  Hoping everything works out very very well!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:39:28 PM »

how far should performers PAY for their performance??
While I agree, in this case I would call them competitors before I would call them performers.  They are competing for a title, and I would expect to pay an entry fee to become a World Champion of Anything.

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 08:02:21 AM »

I wish I could go! But alas the family has to come first this year, too expensive to justify.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 11:16:04 AM »

Nine hours left to register at the minimum cost:

www.worldyoyocontest.com/2014worlds/contest/registration/

To compete in only tops: $20 competition fee + $20 spintop fee = $40.  After that the competition fee goes up by $10.

I am debating if I will be a judge or I'll get on the stage. I always said that if there was a contest outside the US I may compete to support it but it doesn't look that I'll have much time to practice this summer.  Anyway, just in case I registered for the freestyles  :)  Am I the first?

Hrosik

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • Daniel Konecny
    • Spintop.cz
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »

I'm registered and Jakub is registered too :) But I don't know about any other players.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »

I sure hope everyone who has the opportunity to be involved in freestyles takes advantage of it.  I am officially going through withdrawal.  Last night I had a dream where I was on stage and doing a freestyle at worlds.  This is my second dream like this!!!  In this latest edition, everything I tried worked and I even tried things I had not practiced and that was successful (you would think by this time I knew it was a dream-but no!).  Then when I came off stage people started following me around and chasing after me wanting to talk to me and get my autograph (I still did not realize it was a dream).  When I stopped and confronted the people about why they were after me they said "we think tops are so cool".  I can't remember much after that.  I guess that was as far as my imagination could go with this and I woke up.

Anyway, I hope everyone is planning and practicing and taking advantage of this freestyle opportunity.  I sure wish I could be there!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »

I cannot believe that we are exactly 3 weeks away from the contest!

The schedule currently has the spintop finals listed for Friday 8th, after the yo-yo prelims end.

It also has listed a party every night, with a big riverside after party here:  :)

I just saw a post from early June under the News section that mentions some of the famous players that had already registered at that time. For example, it mentions Takeshi Matsuura and Hiroyuki Suzuki under 1A. It ends up saying that there were already more women attendees than in any previous world contest and that "the SpinTop legend, (my name) is coming and competing as well!"  :o :o :o :-[ :) 8)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »

Royal treatment awaits, Master Ta0.  That looks like a super fine place to hang out/party, very European. My excitement for you grows.  What a great trip this will be!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 03:04:04 PM »

Finally, somebody is talking about worlds. 

So, more females?  Great!

The legend is competing?  Now we are talking!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:57 PM »

It ends up saying that there were already more women attendees than in any previous world contest and that "the SpinTop legend, (my name) is coming and competing as well!"  :o :o :o :-[ :) 8)

oh tao i feel so bad for you.....oh no the most amount of women ever to attend and your only "the spintop legend" tiss tiss if only you could be something more than a living legend.......oh wait there isnt anything better!!!! ta0 ta0 ta0 ud best shine your shoes cus ur in for a good time  ;) i wish you luck and much success sir.....with both endeavours!!!!!!!  ;) ;D ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »

Thanks guys! I wished other "spintop legends" like you Mike were coming!
I guess I will probably compete but just to support the event and the other players. I might not be a legend anymore after that!  :-[

It ends up saying that there were already more women attendees than in any previous world contest and that "the SpinTop legend, (my name) is coming and competing as well!"  :o :o :o :-[ :) 8)

oh tao i feel so bad for you.....oh no the most amount of women ever to attend and your only "the spintop legend" tiss tiss if only you could be something more than a living legend.......oh wait there isnt anything better!!!! ta0 ta0 ta0 ud best shine your shoes cus ur in for a good time  ;) i wish you luck and much success sir.....with both endeavours!!!!!!!  ;) ;D ;)
Ha, my wife will definitely not agree with that!  Maybe some autographs  ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:14:33 AM by ta0 »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up