iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Worlds 2014 - Prague preparation thread  (Read 8250 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Worlds 2014 - Prague preparation thread
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »

I know Maurizio is coming: we will finally meet and I'll get him on the Figaro Gallery  :)

Enrique Leal had an interview yesterday with the Colombian sports government agency and is still trying to bring a Colombian contingent (different players from last year), but he has little time left.
I am waiting for confirmation from Cometa, crossing fingers.

I don't know yet of any spintop players coming from the US (except primary yo-yo people like Andre Boulay). I hope we have some. Jon?

Are you coming Eric? Europe deserves to see your creations!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »

Yes, I wish I could be there even though I am anything but a legend......except for trying to bring different objects into the freestyle!  I do hold a couple of significant records that will be broken in Prague.  As I mentioned somewhere else, worlds 2014 will be the first time in seven years that I will not be doing a freestyle.  And if the corkscrew competition is held, it will be the first one without me.  I believe I am the only one who has been in all of them.......six I believe?  The best trivia about that (for me) is that in every single one of them I improved over the previous one.

Glad to hear the Colombian contingent and Cometa group are trying to participate.  Maurizio's presence will be wonderful!  I do hope there are some other surprises.  I believe Val and Dale Oliver said they were going!  They both have time to practice up and have a freestyle ready in case they are needed!!!

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »

will some of the players from Columbia (if there able to make it (fingers crossed)) be throwing Columbian style tops do you think??? i really enjoyed seeing those played in the vids from last year

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

will some of the players from Colombia (if there able to make it (fingers crossed)) be throwing Columbian style tops do you think??? i really enjoyed seeing those played in the vids from last year

The players Enrique would bring if he gets the funds would use traditional large wooden tops. There are players in Colombia who play our tops (e.g. Jeisson PatiƱo) but we are not yet in contact with them.

Humberto confirmed that there will be at least one Cometa player: Alex (Alejandro Torres)  :) He had a good freestyle last year.  I am waiting on confirmation of others.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »

Wasn't the first worlds in 2000?  If so, doesn't it make this the 15th?  I only noticed this because I was thinking about our festival in Miamisburg and it being our 15th year, also.  Seems like something could possibly be done to highlight this milestone.

I was looking up information about the venue, the Archa Theatre.  Sounds like a nice place.  I also see where Suzanne Vega is singing there tonight.  I listened to some of her music and really like that "Luka" song.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:11:02 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »

I also see where Suzanne Vega is singing there tonight.  I listened to some of her music and really like that "Luka" song.

omg i forgot about her, hearing that music again brings me back to when i was a kid lol good times  :'(

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »

Hoping for lots of participation.  Looks like there were 25 top spinners at the first worlds.  Get this...31 at the second!  I did not find results for 2002, the third one.  But by the 4th worlds there were only 16 participants.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 10:53:21 PM »

Hoping for lots of participation.  Looks like there were 25 top spinners at the first worlds.  Get this...31 at the second!  I did not find results for 2002, the third one.  But by the 4th worlds there were only 16 participants.
In 2002 there were 17 participants. But there is a real possibility that next year we would have more than 100 competitors . . .  if we have the contest in Colombia! I was just talking to Enrique about it (more later). By the way, we won't have the Colombians in Prague  :'(

Wasn't the first worlds in 2000?  If so, doesn't it make this the 15th?  I only noticed this because I was thinking about our festival in Miamisburg and it being our 15th year, also.  Seems like something could possibly be done to highlight this milestone.
Yeah, 15 years!  :) I have been to quite a few of those: since 2004 I have only missed 2006 and 2008 so this will be my number 9! I guess I should freestyle or at least get on the stage and dance a tango, or both . . .  :-X   ;)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »

By the way, we won't have the Colombians in Prague  :'(

:'(    :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Eric

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »

Sadly ta0, I won't be there.  I'll be getting Noah ready for college; the Oglethorpe U soccer team (go Stormy Petrels!) starts practice on the 10th and he and I are driving down to Atlanta....a father and son road trip in the Audi RS7 (land jet).  Give Maurizio a hug for me.....
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »

Sorry to hear the news about Eric and the Colombians.  We are due for some nice surprises of people that will attend!

I have enjoyed looking at the wiki page of world yoyo champions.  Not only are the top three placers in spin top there but our group is well represented in the iron mod section.  Of course, there are some yoyoers thrown in there too!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 10:14:08 PM »

I am no expert about the Iron Mod Contest but I have seen a bit of it and have witnessed all the tools each of the teams use.  It is quite an amazing competition.  Here are words from the 2012 World Yo Yo Contest website....

"Who's mod will reign supreme?

Two modders locked in a room with an audience of yo-yo players watching to real time mod yo-yos that will pit against each other. The catch? What they work from we provide and they don't know what they will have to work with before the event.

This takes place in the Mod Room, our tool room dedicated to making yo-yos better.

This years mod contest will have a fun catch, come and find out what it is. This will take place Saturday morning in the mod room."

I assume they will have this competition again this year?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 12:25:35 AM »

Sadly ta0, I won't be there.  I'll be getting Noah ready for college; the Oglethorpe U soccer team (go Stormy Petrels!) starts practice on the 10th and he and I are driving down to Atlanta....a father and son road trip in the Audi RS7 (land jet).  Give Maurizio a hug for me.....
I am disappointed that you are not coming, Eric, but a son-dad relationship takes precedence.
Now, where between Chicago and Atlanta is the autobhan?  ;D

I assume they will have this competition again this year?
I don't think there will be iron mod or any of the workshops and (official) throw-downs that for me were a big part of worlds (although attendance to them in general had been declining). I don't think there will be either a Sports Division. I will miss that part of worlds. On the other hand there is a separate contest just for women and for those who can stay longer a yo-yo camp.

Sorry to hear the news about Eric and the Colombians.  We are due for some nice surprises of people that will attend!
What I know for sure is that there will be two teenagers in the spintop contest who have the potential to pull off the two best spintop routines ever!  ;)

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 04:37:12 AM »

Hey guys!

I haven't been on the forums lately but have been throwing tops allot. ;)
Been working on my freestyle.
I registered a few weeks ago.
If only Mike, Eric, and the Colombians could be there. :'(

Do we know anything about Gus and Salvador?
Any players from Spain?
Will Chris (Neff) be coming? If you are, I would very much like to purchase a sodatop from you. :)
What about Jim? I expect you to come for sure! ;)
Anybody else...?

I know the chances are slim, but is anybody in Europe who owns a lathe going to be driving?   ::)
Strong hint to anybody who this applies to. >:D

Other random questions:
Maurizio: Will you have a prototype Aluminum STB 2.3? ;)
Jorge: How do you fly with Figaro?