iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Future worlds  (Read 3114 times)

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
Future worlds
« on: February 26, 2014, 03:35:53 AM »

Jorge,
You are probably right about the 6A idea. And I think yoyos always return to your hand. ::)
I just wish there was some way to make spintop more popular. :-\

We also need to think about the World ST contest 2015.
Hiro Mii does not want ST in Tokyo. :'(
Once we separate ST from yoyo, it would be very difficult to get them back together.
I think there are not enough players to do a separate worlds for ST. :-\

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Future worlds
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »

We also need to think about the World ST contest 2015.
Hiro Mii does not want ST in Tokyo. :'(
Once we separate ST from yoyo, it would be very difficult to get them back together.
I think there are not enough players to do a separate worlds for ST. :-\

Tyler, was Hironori Mii at EYYC?  He was at US Nats and I talked to him: he had changed his mind! He said spintops would be welcomed in Tokyo if we provided the players, judging, etc!
As you say, this is something we need to discuss.  Continuing together with the yo-yo contest has many advantages.  But if nobody goes to Tokyo, it does not work.  I am planning to go to Japan in the next few years, so if Worlds was there I would probably make it.  You hinted that you would go to Japan.  I am guessing Jon Gates may go.  But, who else?  On the non-competing side Dale & Val and Eric Wolf would probably be there.

On the other hand, Cometa has said they would be interested in organizing one in Mexico, probably in Cancun.  We would have guaranteed a number of competitors.  It would be cheaper for everybody, except for a hypothetical Japanese contestant.  Likewise, Cuper says he can get sponsorship from the city of Guadalajara to have the contest over there.  And Enrique says there is a good likelihood that he could get the Colombian government to sponsor a world contest.  That one would have guaranteed dozens of good players.

By the way, I don't know who else is competing a worlds this year.  I need to talk to Cometa (Gus should be already in Europe at that time, but taking care of a baby . . .)  Are you coming Jon?  Gustin? I know Val and Dale are coming, so we will have experienced judges.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:40:15 AM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 09:55:12 PM »

I am firmly planted in both the worlds of spin top and of yo-yo, and I really don't see any reason for them to stay together. Spintop is always just a sideshow for yo yo players, and it has been that way for years and years.  I am eager to see spin top events have a life of their own.  Spin tops are a much better fit at juggling festivals in  my opinion.  Aside from that,  anybody who would be going to the Japan contest to spin tops would be flying there, and I fear it would only be a handful of players. In Mexico, I think the turnout would be phenomenal.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:45:59 PM by Neff »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 12:40:07 AM »

I agree with you Chris: I want to see the spintop event become independent one day. But, what is the minimum attendance that we need to make it viable? We may be below the critical mass.

I confess I dream of having Japanese players compete with us, either coming from the koma tradition or from our style.  But that is just a dream. Mexico or Colombia are the logical places to have a contest next year. 

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:37:07 AM »

hi all

i agree with Dick on the fact that spintops should not be defined as another yoyo category
there is is room enough within the spintop activities to organize a World event , independant from the WYYC
 Mexico and Colombia would also be my 1st choices
it would guarantee a fair number of entries if the travel expenses were affordable to most
(europe to colombia = very expensive)
ideally there should be:
 some week days just before to do workshops in schools and promote the event
an exhibit with a cultural and patrimonial content,a tv coverage,a battle of the universe,one or several shops, a woodlathe area and of course a competition opened to different styles of playing and judging accordingly

what is clear is that compared to the yoyo world ,there is no hope to raise funds from brands or sponsoring like YYF YYJ C3 etc ..
we will have to find a way to rely on self-support and personal contacts like for the Marines festival (free room equipment and facilities+500 from the city against 5 days of festival including the visit of schools..)

that said , the idea of teaming up with an international juggling event
is really worth considering: it would solve the problem of the venue and the lodging, grant a fair audience , open new horizons...

the "committee" needs  being revived ;)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 03:36:29 AM »

Hiro was at EYYC, but I never got a chance to talk to him.
Last I heard was that he didn't want spintop in Tokyo, but I think you are the one who told me. (Ta0)
That's great that he has changed his mind!

Unless somebody pays for me to go to Worlds 2015, I do not think I'll be there.
I would love to go, but I do not have that much personal money to spend on a contest. :-\

I agree with Neff and Ta0.
Spintop should eventually separate from yoyo, but I think there have to be enough players to do this.

Although, I admit, it is best for me if they stay together for now. Getting to one event is hard enough, but getting to two events would probably not work financially for me.

Hrosik

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • Daniel Konecny
    • Spintop.cz
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 03:05:26 AM »

I think that top spinning is just a part of yoyo contests and not many (at least Czech) players want to separate these contests. I think that it's same community and it's a lot of fun to be part of these contests. I think that for some time there won't be enough players. So, in my opinion, if it won't be necessary, I don't want to separate these contests, just because it's different toy, for me it was always about the community of players. :)