iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: question about spintops  (Read 1350 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
question about spintops
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »

hi all
i came up with this question and may be you can help me :

is the top an invention or a discovery ?

according to Gould and Lourens documentation,  the first tops were natural objects which the human started to manipulate: shells,nuts,fruits..
in that sense they "discovered" the strange properties of the top
example of celtic stones (anagyre) which came from the erosion of the cliffs in Connemara, were found by locals until someone "discovered"the anti-spin properties of the stone ....

but then , to increase spintime, people started to improve the point , to find a way to power the top , they introduced the string and various launchers ..thus inventing new spinning shapes and materials ..

the top seems to be a combination of discovery and invention

do you see any failure in these statements ?

thanx in advance for your input

jim
ps : i'm preparing the conference with Salva next tuesday !! ;D ;D

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: question about spintops
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »

Jim, to your philosophical question I say that man creates/invents nothing.

Man only discovers what exists and how to combine elements in previously unknown ways.  The successful combination of discovered elements gives one the impression of “invention”.   

Kirk

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:24:12 AM »

I say that man creates/invents nothing.
If this is true...
Edison put a lot of work into inventing nothing.
Auguste Rodin spent a lifetime at nothing

According to the Genesis account of creation, God Created man in his image. Thus man bears the image of a creator and is thus a creator also.

Tops are much like the basic machines (lever, wheel, inclined plane, etc) in that, primitive forms are found in nature.
An S8 however (or even the lowly RC) is a beautiful creation.  No doubt that, like many creations, it has a long chain of creations and inventions that lead to it. (like Steel, Delrin, ball bearings, Electronic machinery and so on)

It is the community of creators that gives greatness to civilization. Consider for a while the simple paper clip.  How many people were involved in its creation?  Some made a bending machine, some made steel. For steel some mined coal, some limestone, some ore, some mined chromium.  Some made paper for the box. Some delivered the box to the store were someone sold it to you.  It is easy to see that I am only skimming the surface.

So perhaps the discovery of wheel is an extension of rolling a load on a log, but the Michelin Radial is truly a creation that involved a large community.  It seems to me that the top is much the same.

PS Jim, Give Salvador a hug from Rachel and I.  I am very close to success with Rollercoasters (lazadas) Thanks for the link.  Kirk

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »

PS Jim, Give Salvador a hug from Rachel and I.  I am very close to success with Rollercoasters (lazadas) Thanks for the link.  Kirk

You are welcome, Kirk!  ;)

I am glad that video was really useful for you.
In future, you can reccomend it to others who want learn rollercoasters!