iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: 12 days of Christmas with a different spin  (Read 1984 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
12 days of Christmas with a different spin
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »

We are still officially in the season of Christmas.  Today is the 9th day of Christmas.  Last night while walking the dog I started thinking about how the song about the 12 days of Christmas might sound with a different spin on them.

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a big top from a pear tree.
On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me, two little loves etc.
On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me, three French gems (from Jim) etc.
On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, four whistling tops etc.
On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, five golden strings etc.
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, six (something like geese a laying)
On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me, (something like swans a swimming)
On the eighth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, (something like maids a milking)
On the ninth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, nine Spinqueens dancing etc.
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, ten lathers lathing etc.
On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me, eleven Salvadors piping etc.
On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, twelve drumbeats drumming etc.

Of course, this is just a rough draft.  I am sure others have better ideas and/or can help finish the 6th, 7th and 8th days.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: 12 days of Christmas with a different spin
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:17:10 AM »

It is now the 11th day of Christmas.  Try singing this in your mind (or out loud if you dare).  It all kind of fits.  From the last verse down:

On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to me....
12 drumbeats drumming
11 Salvadors piping
10 lathers lathing
9 Spinqueens dancing
8 whips a whipping
7 spinners spinning
6 kids a playing
5 golden strings
4 whistling tops
3 French gems
2 little loves
and a big top from a pear tree!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:02:08 AM »

I say! The man is a regular Charles Wesley!  :D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 11:44:38 AM »

Mike sent me these pictures he took of a top in a Christmas light display:

and with beautiful Megan:

Toy Land is very close to Top Land!

Now, somebody has to make a Christmas wire light display that rotates! Mm, I do have somewhere an electrical slip ring connector I used on a project fifteen years ago . . . But it may be easier to create the illusion of rotation by alternating the lights around the top.  Perhaps a project for another year.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »

It is 2018 and we are once again in the 12 days of Christmas.  Officially, we are in the 5th day.  The 12 days with a top twist could still just about fit four years later.......although Spinqueen has not been as active lately.  We just might need another dancer.  Any nominations?  And isn't Didier a drummer with a top?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »

It is 2018 and we are once again in the 12 days of Christmas.  Officially, we are in the 5th day.  The 12 days with a top twist could still just about fit four years later.......although Spinqueen has not been as active lately.  We just might need another dancer.  Any nominations?  And isn't Didier a drummer with a top?
I would have thought the 12 days of Christmas was a countdown to Christmas, not a post-Christmas celebration, but you are the pro  ;)

You did a good job with the rhyme.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 11:59:53 PM »

Today is the 12th day of Christmas and we are down to the last few minutes.  In the church calendar, the countdown days are actually weeks....4 weeks before Christmas and that is symbolized with our four candle Advent wreath.  Christmas Day begins the 12 days in the season of Christmas which always ends on January 5th.  January 6th is Epiphany and it starts the next season of the church year.

So, we see Christmas as more than a day and can celebrate it in different ways but maybe not exactly like the song!

How about SpinLynn for the dancing?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 12:31:55 AM »

Tonight children in many countries will put a pair of their shoes in the living room so the Three Wise Men (Reyes Magos) leave them presents on January 6th. I don't recall wishing to find spinning tops by my shoes  ::) but it was always a very exciting morning.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 07:54:19 AM »

I have read about that and some other fascinating Epiphany traditions.  I am envious of that and wish we had more traditions like that.  I did not know this was a part of your life in Uruguay!!!

I also love the stories of caroling, leaving grass and water by the door for the camels, special foods and treats, a baby Jesus statue hidden in cakes and even in some places throwing a wood cross in the lake/sea and having people dive for it.....even in icy water!!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:56:40 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 11:56:45 AM »

Epiphany traditions /

Here in France the tradition is to have a "galette des rois" on epiphany day
i've just shared a galette with my brother : "pâte feuilletée and frangipane cream"
like Mike I ' m very attached to cultural traditions , mardi Gras , Easter Eggs etc even if I'm a non-believer

galette and cider : the top combination :D

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"