iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Treasure trove of great paintings  (Read 2293 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Treasure trove of great paintings
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »

If you do a search for the keyword "spinning tops" in the www.bridgemanart.com gallery (they sell prints and rights of use) you get many wonderful pictures. Some we have already discussed but others we have not.  Here is a sample of the best ones:

Russia (19th century), The game of the spinning top, engraving / De Agostini Picture Library / G. Dagli Orti / The Bridgeman Art Library

Visit of the Angel, from the right wing of the Buxtehude Altar, 1400-10 (tempera on panel), Master Bertram of Minden (c.1345-c.1415) / Hamburger Kunsthalle, Hamburg, Germany / The Bridgeman Art Library

Portrait of Thomas Allason (oil on canvas), Alleyne, Francis (fl.1774-90) (circle of) / Private Collection / Photo © Christie's Images / The Bridgeman Art Library

The Very Image, Clark, Joseph (1834-1926) / Private Collection / © Mallett Gallery, London, UK / The Bridgeman Art Library

Two boys whipping a top; Queen Mary Psalter England, circa 1310-1320/ British Library, London, UK / © British Library Board. All Rights Reserved / The Bridgeman Art Library

Boy Drawing at a Table, Mercier, Philippe (1689-1760) / Rafael Valls Gallery, London, UK / The Bridgeman Art Library

French fashion plate, late 19th century

Children's Games (Japan): Second Month, 1894 (colour woodcut), Eitaku, Kobayashi (1843-90) / Edinburgh University Library, Scotland / With kind permission of the University of Edinburgh / The Bridgeman Art Library

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:32:12 AM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Treasure trove of great paintings
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:38:20 AM »

Fantastic !!

i'm going to send the link to Lourens

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »

Wow, that is indeed a treasure trove!

Impressive.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »

I search for the Kobayashi painting that Renee posted and found that it had already been posted in this thread.
A few more great finds from this gallery:

Roy 6 E VII f.67v Children catching butterflies and playing with a whip-top and a walker from Omne Bonum by Jacobus

Children Spinning tops, Gendall, John (1790-1865) / English

Le jeu de toupies, c.1924 (oil on canvas), Dinet, Alphonse Etienne (1861-1929) / French

Boy with Spinning Top. Illustration for Moral Songs by Mrs C F Alexander (Masters & Co, 1880)

Spinning top. French educational card, late 19th or early 20th century.

Spinning top. French educational card, late 19th/early 20th century.

New century - a promenade by top. French educational card, late 19th/early 20th century.

Spinning top seller, 1910 (sepia photo) (also sells some other toys)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 10:18:49 PM »

I hope she sold a lot of tops and toys in 1910.  It is hard to imagine anyone making much money by walking around the streets and selling tops today, at least in the United States.  There may be some other areas of the world where one could pull this off but I feel like this kind of activity is getting harder and harder to be involved in.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA Jr.
  • Immortal Member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:28:35 AM »

Love the French drawing. If only that were possible!  The tops have the ball tips needed to promote travel, but their critical speeds would probably be well above the riders' puking speeds.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 02:31:41 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

peonza

• El mundo de las peonzas
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »

I write a web about spinning tops in Spanish (www.peonzas.es) and I have a section about paintings and spinning tops. It is on https://sites.google.com/site/pinturaypeonzas/ ant there are some of the previous painting and many others.

They are from XV century to nowadays

Regards

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »

These are some Fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 12:17:01 AM »

I write a web about spinning tops in Spanish (www.peonzas.es) and I have a section about paintings and spinning tops. It is on https://sites.google.com/site/pinturaypeonzas/ ant there are some of the previous painting and many others.
They are from XV century to nowadays
Your site is very comprehensive. What I love the most is that you give information about the paintings, not just show the photos. Great job!

I noticed you do not have two winter landscapes from the XVI century that we discussed recently, but perhaps the tops are too small for you.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:49:10 PM by ta0 »

peonza

• El mundo de las peonzas
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 01:40:02 PM »

I noticed you do not have two winter landscapes from the XVI century that we discussed recently, but perhaps the tops are too small for you.
Yes I have to add some paintings but sometimes I don't have enought free time for add information in all the parts of the web.
Thanks for remember the information.

Regards