iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cometa with weight ring?  (Read 3632 times)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Cometa with weight ring?
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »

Wait, what?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Cometa with weight ring?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »

It is so imposibly difficult to share images here from a smart phone

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:33:19 PM »

Yes, metal rings. The King Cobra was mentioned here: www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,2773.msg29512.html#msg29512

At last Worlds I got some. They are pretty nice.  Unfortunately, I have more tops than minutes in the day and I have not played much with them yet.  I need to review them.

What Gus told me was that the metal weight rings were for the European market and the plastic weight rings for the Mexican market, although Cattus said that both were sold in Spain.

Cattus

• Crepundia: my yo-yo and spintop collection
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »

The metal ring is made of aluminium. I was able to buy in Spain both King Cobra (fixed tip), the one with metal ring and the one with plastic ring. I think that the distributor is not the same. The King Cobra with the plastic ring is sharpened but the one with the metal ring is rounded.

Now the Turbo Car (bearing tip), shown in that picture, has the metal ring but I don't have one yet.

These spintops with metal or plastic ring are the more expensive from Cometa.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:35:51 PM »

Yes, metal rings. The King Cobra was mentioned here: www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,2773.msg29512.html#msg29512
Huh.  Not sure if I actually missed that or just forgot ???

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »

I took some pictures of a couple of Turbo Cars with metal rings:

The tip uses one bearing. It is difficult to tell without disassembling it, but it looks like it has a design similar to the tips of the old turbo 5 Estrellas, except that the bearing well is deeper what allowed for a normal shape tip.

If you look at this one opened, the central axis does not turn. So it  seems that a short axle was attached to the body (glued or press fitted, perhaps during molding), the inside of the bearing press fitted to that axle, and the tip hugs the outside of the bearing.

Of those two tops, the tip on the orange one can be rocked just a little with the fingers while on the violet one is pretty firm.
Cometa did a very good job with the metal ring; it matches very well the body curvature. The tops weigh 53 grams.
They are noisy but spin well.  I could do 15 gyro flops in a row with 1 second stops between them.

By the way, I also threw my King Cobra (fixed tip, 43 grams).  It climbs the elevator superbly!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »

Cattus, I went to your website and was very impressed with both the number of tops you have and the organization of your collection.  Your Spintop Comparator is very cool.  Nice job!!

Cattus

• Crepundia: my yo-yo and spintop collection
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:36:16 PM »

Cattus, I went to your website and was very impressed with both the number of tops you have and the organization of your collection.  Your Spintop Comparator is very cool.  Nice job!!
Thank you. I'm not a real collector but I like to have a stock of spintops. I buy spintops when they are available because I don't know if I could buy them in the future. A few spintops of my web are now wasted or broken because I play with them.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »

At last Worlds I got some. They are pretty nice.  Unfortunately, I have more tops than minutes in the day and I have not played much with them yet.  I need to review them.
I too got a King Cobra and two Turbo Cars at the worlds. The King Cobra is very smooth. I have only thrown one of the Turbo Cars. It makes a racket and the tip seems to wobble, but it spins very well. I like the way it is easy to change the spin axis. (like for upside down merry go round)