iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What kind of tape do you use on your plastic tops?  (Read 3941 times)

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
What kind of tape do you use on your plastic tops?
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »

I tried using standard electical tape on my Trompo Grande and found that it didn't lay flat around the curved edge of the top as it did with the original tape that was on it.  Is Dale using some other kind of tape that doesn't crinkle when applied to a curved surface?  If so, what is it, and what brand.  I didn't see any color of electrical tape except black at Walmart.  I'd like to use the same colors that came with the tops.

Thanks.

Ed

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: What kind of tape do you use on your plastic tops?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »

Find the electrical section of one of the big box hardware/home improvement stores.  Sometimes you can find the narrow rolls--I think these are similiar to the Spintastics Trompo tape.  I've also had good luck with the colored tape also found in these stores.  The more expensive/thick stuff seems to leave less residue when you remove it and doesn't seem to shrink back as much as the thinner/cheaper stuff.  I ususlly streach mine as I apply it, but just enough to make it lay down smoothly.  If you streach it too much it recoils so leave a little extra and trim it later as needed.

Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »

Yes, I've had the same problem with the wide black electrical tape.  Here in our area we have Ace Hardware and they have the narrower tape.  Some colors in their store work better than others.  There is something about the red and how thin it is that doesn't seem to look as good but as long as it is narrow it seems to be OK.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »

Guys

Thanks.  I found a six pack of the same type of tape in 6 different colors.  Nifty as that will work for several different colored tops. (-:

Ed

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »

Bond the end of the tape over the to, put the thumb firmly over that end. Pull hard the tape and roll it while pulling. Do complete circunferences to avoid vibrations.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »

Tip: Wrap the tape so the seam is going with the flow.  If you throw right handed, hold the end of the tape under your left thumb with the point of the top pointing away from you, wraping the tape to the right.  Wrap twice to cut at the same spot where it begins to have minimal effect on balance (like pulp said) and an added layer of protection.

jeffs

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »

When putting tape on tops, we should all remember the cautionary tale told by ta0's experiment measuring spin decay with and without. Here are the details:

http://www.topspinning.com/toptalk/viewpost.php?post=5794

Better keep those seams neat!!
Jeff Smith, Kalamazoo, MI

Spamgray

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:22:38 AM »

I just superglue mine. Yeah, they still break but just superglue them back together when they do. Or you could be like Alan and gorilla glue them.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »

Welcome Robert! Nice to see you posting!

I missed your boomerang from the foot for the last collective video. I hope you can contribute to the next one.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 04:45:49 PM »

Ahhh.......Spamgray.........Robert Gray!  I get it.  Welcome!!!

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »

I use durex all time. But I guess I a m going to experience with electricist tape, given that I see is the favourite one of the most here.