iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA Annual General Assembly December 7th - 15th !!!

Author Topic: Chico Yo-Yo Company  (Read 2201 times)

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
Chico Yo-Yo Company
« on: September 28, 2013, 01:02:49 AM »

Today I was in Chico (my Dad had extensive back surgery) and I was feeling bummed because I will not be here next week for Nats. To cheer myself up, I went to one of my happy places, Bird in Hand. I was lucky enough to run into Richy and Thad while they were working on a batch of brand new, never-before-seen, CYYC yo-yos that they will be releasing at Nats (I believe). I also learned some 4a from a kid named Zach Rubino, some of you might have heard of him.

By now I am sure you are wondering, how is this spin top related...well, I mentioned to Thad and Richy that I had not had a chance to really take the Chico Top for a long spin. So Thad brought out not one, but two prototypes--delrin and aluminum. If I ever wrote a negative word about the Chico Top, I take it back. There was a time when I thought she was too fat bottomed, but I was wrong for so many reasons. For one thing, it is possible to regen the bearing Chico Top for as long as you would like. The string makes a lot of contact with the delrin. It is also very stable in the hand. The real fun started when Thad put the aluminum crown on the delrin body. I thought it was going to be too top heavy, but it was not at all. Instead, the top played like a weight ring had been added. THe whole time I was playing, Thad was asking me for feedback on the tops...I think this means we will see another batch soon.   ;D

After reluctantly giving the tops back, I decided to buy a Kendama and a yoyo in order to attempt the CYYC ladder. As Zach Rubino was helping me shop, Richy called me into the back, "to show me something." He handed me the beauty attached below and he and Thad thanked me for the feedback on the top.

What a great day! My thanks again to Richy, Thad, Zach, and the other really good yo-yoer for making me feel so welcome and for also taking a genuine interest in playing tops. I was pretty proud to get a compliment on my skill from a player as good as Zach.

I am going back tomorrow for their weekly workshop. I will spin my QSH a bit and try to pass the first ladder with my brand new yo-yo. No one there will have one like mine. I am off to practice...

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Chico Yo-Yo Company
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:08:39 AM »

Happy Times !!

thanks very much for the report , it's almost as if we had been there ;-)
your words are powerfully wonderful

have fun at bird in hand
and
wishing a prompt recovery to your dad
 8) 8)
jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »

Ditto what Jim said

Sweet yo-yo!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:02:30 AM »

After reading your post I had to try regenerations with the bearing top.  My delrin Chico is set up for fixed tip, so I grabbed the one with aluminum body and delrin cap.  Five gyro-flops followed by fifty roller-coasters convinced me that it does regen!

I guess it would have been asking too much to your dad to postpone the surgery one week  ::)  I wish him a fast recovery.  We'll miss you at nats.

yollector

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »

Well today Justin came to bird in hand to try to complete the
1st 10 tricks of the sports ladder with a yoyo         -----
  But he gathered all the kids around him and blew all their minds
with his AMAZING top skills ! They all were all in awe !
  Then they all starting THINKING about how yoyo tricks could be
used in a top freestyle and yoyo tricks in a top performance ( if you
ever have a top trick called thru the tunnel or the black hole I named them )
 But over all we all had a great time . Justin got the 1st 8 tricks on the 1st Card
and then called it a day . For a guy that said he never threw a yoyo he was pretty
good ( my stomach still hurts from laughing ) he also hit the yoyo on the ground and
put a doink in it.
   Anyway we had a super fun time at the yoyo / top club and it was great to see
a new face there to share his skills with
  Richy from Chico

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 12:19:44 AM »

Well today Justin came to bird in hand to try to complete the
1st 10 tricks of the sports ladder with a yoyo         -----
  But he gathered all the kids around him and blew all their minds
with his AMAZING top skills ! They all were all in awe !
  Then they all starting THINKING about how yoyo tricks could be
used in a top freestyle and yoyo tricks in a top performance ( if you
ever have a top trick called thru the tunnel or the black hole I named them )
 But over all we all had a great time . Justin got the 1st 8 tricks on the 1st Card
and then called it a day . For a guy that said he never threw a yoyo he was pretty
good ( my stomach still hurts from laughing ) he also hit the yoyo on the ground and
put a doink in it.
   Anyway we had a super fun time at the yoyo / top club and it was great to see
a new face there to share his skills with
  Richy from Chico

First, my dad did well and is home. For those of you who know anatomy, they used an erector set to rebuild his Lumbar region. Thanks for all the well wishing.

Richy, you'd better order a 3xlt shirt for my next visit, because I will do the zippidy doo and the atom splasher at Christmas.  ;D

By the way, those kids whose minds I was blowing...two of them were Gentry Stein and Zac Rubino. NBD.

We all three talked about crossover tricks and gave each other suggestions. I even landed a trick that Gentry suggested on my first try. The black hole. Is that name taken? Zac spent a lot of time working on doing a corkscrew with his 4a yoyo and came close.

We also talked about getting the tops on the main stage and we concluded that education is the key. Kids just do not know enough about how tops work to try them. For example, one of the instructors, Chris, thought I was playing bearing the whole time. He finally realized that I was using a "plain, traditional" top (a QSH--Dale I think it neither plain, nor traditional), which really blew him away.

Gentry and Zac also mentioned that fewer tops and more snap starts might help us to get on stage. We can drop, like they do in 4a, but we should try to keep our routine going with the same top. I totally agree. This might get easier now that we know how easy it is to regenerate bearing tops--even from a snap start.

I do not think any of the yoyo'ers had seen snap starts and quick regenerations of nearly dead tops. Gentry was perplexed by orbit regens. I picked a dying top off the ground (I missed a trick) and quickly got it going again using orbits. Their comments remind me of the video of Neff winning all of the bow ties. He blew a crowd away by exposing them to things they'd never seen done with a top.

Anyway, tops are amazing, the programs the Bird in Hand runs are amazing. They work hard to pull off a one day competition and I withdraw my complaints about the tops stage. We are lucky to be there and if we want to be on the main stage, we need to earn our way there.

Thanks again to Thad, Richy, and Bob for soliciting my feedback regarding the next Chico Top. I really think it will be amazing if it comes out the way we imagined it. I will definitely buy a few, as I promised them...unless they'd like to sponsor a local kid to play tops.  8)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:34:36 AM »

Glad to hear of all the good encounters.  Great work, Gustin!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

YodaGuy5

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »

Okay you talked me into it. Next YYE purchase will probably be a Chico Top.

yollector

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 09:17:52 PM »

Just a short note ::::::::::::::::::
   the 2 kids that Justin was referring to  , Gentry Stein
and Zac Rubino
  Gentry won 1st place in the 1A yoyo contest and is the National Champion
and Zac in the 4A Beat the 6 time National Champ and the current World
Champ and only missed 1st by a few points
   Great time for Chico
   RFC