iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: delicious youtube find @_@ (turning Chinese top)  (Read 8063 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
delicious youtube find @_@ (turning Chinese top)
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:46:13 AM »

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 09:30:25 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: delicious youtube find @_@ (turning Chinese top)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »

I don't recall watching another video of turning a traditional Chinese top. Thanks for posting it!

The tip is really different to those of other traditional tops. It is surprising they would go that way as a metal peg would be cheaper and much easier to obtain.  I guess it started with tops with wooden tips until somebody found a metal part that would fit over the tip, and that was how this design started.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:36:04 PM »

Thanks Jack, really great find!

We have met Mr Yang Chin-Lu in a previous thread about Taiwanese tops (link = Tiawan tops) in particular in a news article with video of a TV report about the Last Whipping Top Master (link = Yang Chin-Lu article).

From the text of the article
Back in the 1960's, when children in Daxi were obsessed with whipping tops, someone came up with the idea to try making a 5-kilo top that outweighs most of the regular ones. As time passed, the creative Daxi people even made giant tops weighing around 50 kilos, making their manufacture a unique tradition on the island.

Since the smaller Taiwanese tops have an inserted metal peg they likely knew that approach before making the larger versions  starting in the 60's but a large steel bar may have been more expensive than a machined cup (or coincidental found object) and boring a big deep hole centered in a big block of wood before or after turning the shape may have been a challenge better met simply by turning a post instead.

Grabbed from Tai-Min's thread (link = Taiwan school) introducing us to the spintop school in Taiwan is this video of a craftsman who makes many different types of tops including larger traditional style peg tops (not as much turning as in Jack's find).
970426 ????

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:11:51 AM »

Thanks Jack, really great find!

We have met Mr Yang Chin-Lu in a previous thread about Taiwanese tops (link = Tiawan tops) in particular in a news article with video of a TV report about the Last Whipping Top Master (link = Yang Chin-Lu article).

From the text of the article
Back in the 1960's, when children in Daxi were obsessed with whipping tops, someone came up with the idea to try making a 5-kilo top that outweighs most of the regular ones. As time passed, the creative Daxi people even made giant tops weighing around 50 kilos, making their manufacture a unique tradition on the island.

Since the smaller Taiwanese tops have an inserted metal peg they likely knew that approach before making the larger versions  starting in the 60's but a large steel bar may have been more expensive than a machined cup (or coincidental found object) and boring a big deep hole centered in a big block of wood before or after turning the shape may have been a challenge better met simply by turning a post instead.

Grabbed from Tai-Min's thread (link = Taiwan school) introducing us to the spintop school in Taiwan is this video of a craftsman who makes many different types of tops including larger traditional style peg tops (not as much turning as in Jack's find).
970426 ????

oooo thx for the thread/article link john  :)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 12:01:27 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »

After 8 minutes it was disappointing that he did not spin the top.  Is it any good?  :-\
It is a cute construction of a top by recycling a plastic bottle.  But the video should have been no more than 2 minutes long and he should have spun it.  Or 3 minutes if he could boomerang it  :P (I bet it is not easy to do)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »

Thanks for the hint on the video.  That way I was able to skim through it a little faster.

Yes, I agree.  I think it might not spin very well.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »

After 8 minutes it was disappointing that he did not spin the top.  Is it any good?  :-\
It is a cute construction of a top by recycling a plastic bottle.  But the video should have been no more than 2 minutes long and he should have spun it.  Or 3 minutes if he could boomerang it  :P (I bet it is not easy to do)

lol its always disappointing when a top isnt spinning  :D

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:04:21 AM »

heres another chinese one, i cant uderstand it of course but apparently this guy is making them without the use of a lathe @_@ im not sure if there just display peices or they would spin and be ballanced, impressive none the less  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrPaVTeSh8A#
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 12:02:27 AM by ta0 »

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »

Ta0: I challenge you to make and boomerang a bottle top! >:D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 10:01:58 PM »

Given the long explanation that the man gives about making the top, I imagine he is reenacting an old technique and not just fabricating a decorative piece. 

Well, a few minutes ago I wrapped a the rope (appropriately from my 5" Neff soda top) on the neck of an empty 2 litter soda bottle (root beer) and threw it like a normal top: tip (well, cap) up and came back spinning cap down!  Of course, without a real tip it immediately runs off the hand, but on the floor it spins nicely.  I can see that with a little modding it would work quite well as a top!

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »

Given the long explanation that the man gives about making the top, I imagine he is reenacting an old technique and not just fabricating a decorative piece. 

Well, a few minutes ago I wrapped a the rope (appropriately from my 5" Neff soda top) on the neck of an empty 2 litter soda bottle (root beer) and threw it like a normal top: tip (well, cap) up and came back spinning cap down!  Of course, without a real tip it immediately runs off the hand, but on the floor it spins nicely.  I can see that with a little modding it would work quite well as a top!

Wow! I might just have to try that.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »

Some more Yang Chin-Lu.  I did not expect to see him do this  :o I guess technique is just as or more important than brawn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sppGUSr9N-c#

and not to be outdone by the recently posted Japanese documentary (thread link = Japanese tops) is this Taiwanese episode with many of the Dasi top celebrities.  Perhaps Dasi should be approached as the host city for the World Spintop Contest.  ta0, how many days do you have scheduled for your visit to Dasi? --probably should double it. >:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brWeJrvXOw8#ws
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 09:31:45 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »

Yang Chin-Lu is my hero!  He certainly uses everything he is got to spin that big honker.

Speaking of big honker, is that lathe in the second video a big one or what?

So many good top spinning shots in these videos.  Thanks, johnm!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 01:23:33 AM »

Some more Yang Chin-Lu.  I did not expect to see him do this  :o I guess technique is just as or more important than brawn.

and not to be outdone by the recently posted Japanese documentary (thread link = Japanese tops) is this Taiwanese episode with many of the Dasi top celebrities.  Perhaps Dasi should be approached as the host city for the World Spintop Contest.  ta0, how many days do you have scheduled for your visit to Dasi? --probably should double it. >:D

that first video was very interesting because of the thowing technique he used, im gonna try that with my big top maybe be able to get that sucker to spin finally, thanks for posting that!!!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 12:04:47 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 12:35:56 PM »

Wonderful videos!

Perhaps Dasi should be approached as the host city for the World Spintop Contest.  ta0, how many days do you have scheduled for your visit to Dasi? --probably should double it. >:D
I think that the day I finally visit Dasi I will have a sense of deja vu on that street in front of the temple.

The heaviest top must be of the fabled 100 kilo class. I guess it could be shipped in a container  >:D
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up