iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spinning Gasing: The (drama) Movie  (Read 4157 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Spinning Gasing: The (drama) Movie
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »

This weekend I convinced my wife of connecting the computer to the TV and watching the movie "Spinning Gasing" ("Ulek Mayang", Malaysia, 2000) instead of the Almodovar movie she had borrowed.  The spinning top scenes take only about 2 minutes out of the 90 minutes of the movie, so I almost posted it as NSTR.  But the opening scene that shows the throwing of the large gasings from Kelantan is worth watching by itself.  There are three more short scenes late in the movie where those tops appear spinning, as a symbol of tradition/continuity and also life, I believe.

If you like foreign films, of the multi-cultural type (and this has a big mix), you will probably want to see the whole movie. It touches some controversial subjects in Malaysia.   It is on youtube in 7 parts (but it may disappear at any time).  Most of it is spoken in English, with some in Chinese, Malay and even French (with Chinese, Malay and sometimes English subtitles, but not always.)  Here is the first part:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 12:43:59 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Spinning Gasing: The (drama) Movie
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »

The movie starts saying that "as a former British colony, English is often the common language used between the races". Mmm, it may be easier to visit Malaysia than I thought . . .