iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: first post @_@ re-gen probs  (Read 3048 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
first post @_@ re-gen probs
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:22:48 PM »

hey guys hows it goin eh??? my name is jack and this is my first post here so please forgive me if its in the wrong section @_@. im having a bit of trouble with regenerating spin, ive been spinning tops now for about 10 years or so but ive never been able to figure out the technique for regeneration. ive tried being reeealy aggressive with my throw hand when poping it up ripping the string hard against the tip but it seams nothing works. so is there anyone here that can explain the technique to me??? i understand it should be the same principle as a whip top but theres something im missing here. well thanks for reading and i hope to be a productive member of this forum in the future

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: first post @_@ re-gen probs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Jack.
You came to the right place. I bet we can get you regenerating in a month if you put the effort and ask for feedback.

You don't say what regeneration trick you are doing.  Most people start with roller-coaster to lasso.  Can you do the movement already with a bearing top?  Can you lasso consistently?
The main thing to regenerate with this trick is waiting for the top to precess until it is pointing almost towards you, before pulling with your throwing hand up and to the outside.

It would be very helpful if you posted a video of what you are doing.  A view from above showing the top at the time you start the pull would be the most helpful.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »

Is this Jack-Jack my youtube friend or another Jack?

It's a lot more like a diabolo than a whip top - tugging not lashing.  In fact the "drumbeat" spin top regeneration is pretty much the same as regenerating a diabolo except the top rotates adding a twist to things.  Most people learn "rollercoaster" regenerations first though, which is vaguely similar to drumbeat but much more of a three-dimensional motion.

One way to get some results is to get a one-way bearing top.  Far easier to regenerate but also you get audial feedback when you are doing it right (the bearing is silent when you are adding spin to the axle).

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 12:08:50 AM »

yes indeed mr neff!!!!!!! this is jack-jack @_@. i was considering getting a diablo do u think it might be helpful at all in this difficulty??? mr tao the trick im try to regenerate with is a "drumbeat" and am able to keep a fixed tipped top spinning for 4 circuits of popping the top up and catching in a trapeze after which its lost 90 percent of its spin at which point i just bring it back to my hand for a sec whereupon it dies @_@. im going to rig up a ceiling holder for my cam but unfortunately the only camera i have access to is my blackberry i used that for the vids i have on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/nemesis3003/videos hopefully it will be clear enough @_@. thank u gentlemen for responding so quickly and i hope to have aerial footage of the mess im probably making of a "drumbeat" soon @_@ thanks again and in the meanwhile i will try "tugging" not "lashing" @_@

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:26:01 AM »

so is there anyone here that can explain the technique to me??? i understand it should be the same principle as a whip top but theres something im missing here.

non so se tú puoí capire, má, guarda le spiegazioni. Esse parlano da se stesse.
Molta gente ha imparato vedendo questo video.

http://www.strummol8.com/tag/pedro-salvador-martinez-moctezuma/

kevinm

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:42:51 AM »

Hi Jack,  wild guess here, but it sounds so much like the problem I was having. The solution for me was to keep hold of the end of the string in your non-throw hand until the last moment, if you let go too soon, the string is free to slip around the tip without regenerating any spin. Also, you can pull up on the string much less aggressively because you get better control.
Anyways, good luck. I'm still not very good at it, but it's fun to practice.

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »

Welcome to the forum¡¡
 the teachers of this place will be able to help you.