iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any of you guys and gal ever hit yourself in the eye...  (Read 11482 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Any of you guys and gal ever hit yourself in the eye...
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 11:54:01 PM »

Rushed a corkscrew on Wednesday.  QSH Bearing in the face. The shiner is fading.

:o

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 03:51:06 AM »

Hello Everyone,

That picture is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Well, I never really considered that tops to be an "eye" danger... But now that I think of it, Colombian tops often just have a nail sticking out of the bottom. I could see how this could end badly!

Thank you again!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 04:16:35 AM »

No top related injuries yet. Other than my hand getting the feeling of burning from plastic tips or just too many catches in a short period of time and the number causing enough soreness to say "Ok, break time".

However, I've had the string come around and brush across my glasses a few times.

With the cheap Thai top I have, which seems to be a blob of plastic over a nail, that one I would have concerns about. The new cheapie Japanese top I got seems a bit more refined but mostly seems like a variation of a "nail through a block of wood". I really see those being more capable of putting an eye out.

Worse injury I have received when I did a hard throw of my Timbr LoveJoy top, which unfortunately had a snag and I got nailed in the nose. That hurt bad, knocked my glasses off(they were fine) and I had a cut on my nose on the outside and a nosebleed inside too. Kinda had to "take a knee" and recover from that for a few minutes. I have had my tops go by my face, but nothing ever seemed to come near enough to my eye to cause concern.

I guess it's time to upgrade to safety googles!
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2021, 01:22:01 PM »

On the plane back from Mallorca I noticed what I thought at first was a large floater in my left eye. But then I realized it stayed fixed with respect with my field of vision and moved with it, so it had to be something on the retina. I went to an eye doctor and she told me I have a vitreous detachment and what I see is a Weiss ring. Nothing serious and very common if you are over 50. I may have it for a few moths or few years. During the festival I did hit that eye hard with a string that whipped back during a boomerang. So it might be a spintop injury.

Bill Wells

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2021, 01:17:20 AM »

I noticed what I thought at first was a large floater in my left eye.
I have had seven major surgeries for torn/detached retina, both eyes. First started when I was about 65. We are fortunate that ophthalmology science has advanced so much in recent years. In my case, just age related.
It's not worth doing if you're not obsessed about it.

Hydrona

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2021, 01:45:01 PM »

Ouch, when I read these comments, I am lucky that the rope did not hit me in the eye (yet..)
I've only had trouble with the rope itself on my finger. But it's painful enough.
Because when I wrap the top (mostly the wooden ones. The rope is more difficult to wrap around. ), the rope is constantly sliding across my finger. Results are a blister and sometimes even some skin.. It's painful, and I can't spin a top till it healed enough. I was thinking about using yo-yo gloves to wear.
To prevent this.
The thing is, those gloves are very thin material and smooth . I think it's polyester.
I'm going to test it out. Maybe the top will spin a bit longer, because my hand are a bit damp. Maybe it worns out the spin time. And with those gloves on, I can spare my finger.
The blister got open, but now it's almost healed. Time to put the gloves to the test! And spin a top of course!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:52:17 AM by Hydrona »
We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2021, 11:43:03 PM »

I've only had trouble with the rope itself on my finger. But it's painful enough.
Because when I wrap the top (mostly the wooden ones. The rope is more difficult to wrap around. ), the rope is constantly sliding across my finger. Results are a blister and sometimes even some skin.. It's painful, and I can't spin a top till it healed enough. I was thinking about using yo-yo gloves to wear.
I had this issue years back.  I got tired of the blisters and callouses, so changed the way I wind.  Try holding the string further from the top. Don't let it slide through your fingers but hold on.  When your had reaches the top, slide you hand away with less grip.  No Blisters!   Also watch some videos of how the Colombian players wind big tops.

Hydrona

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2021, 06:23:02 AM »

@kirk Thank you for the tip.
I had an idea to avoid blisters. Made a flexible reusable band aid.  But i will tet out your solution too.