iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Aeorobie Megatop  (Read 3571 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Aeorobie Megatop
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:08:17 AM »

I have been playing with the latest product (has been out for an year, I think) from the Aerobie company: Megatop. It is billed as an "utra-high performance spinning top." 

Coming from the inventor (Alan Adler) and the company that developed the Aerobie flying ring, Guinness World Record of the "longest throw of an object without any velocity-aiding feature," you would expect something really good. It was a disappointment.

I guess the top was designed with the idea of a high-endurance whip top. It does spin long on a flat hard surface. I got over 4 minutes the only time I clocked it and I am sure I could get more.  But even as an endurance top it is not much fun: being close to the ground the magic of a standing top defying gravity is lost. Neither does it have much of a "dance" so battles won't be exciting. 

The silicon-type whip works acceptably well and I prefer it to string or leather whips. But it is short and you cannot whip it on the floor while standing up.

It is also advertised for: "Fun Tricks & Games."  The back of the package says: "Invent new Megatop tricks and games . . .  will post them on our website . . . send us your video . . .  Maybe it would work for games (it looks like a hockey puck) but for tricks it is terrible: I don't know what they were thinking. The official video shows as much as it can be done: boomerang to the catching plate, throwing the top and catching it again on the plate (with a pirouette if you are really good) and passing the top between players.

The top can be spun on either the lower (spherical) or upper (cylindrical) tips, but these "tips" are completely useless for tricking. What's more, they are so short that the top cannot be spun on the hand! The plate and the top are made of hard plastic, so landing the top on the plate without the top bouncing off is not easy. I am surprised that Aerobie that uses rubbery materials for many of its products (including the Megatop whip) would not make a plate that would dampen the bouncing of the top.

For me the most interesting thing is the way it is thrown. It uses just a 27cm (11") long string wrapped only once around the periphery but still claims to get 3000 RPMs (I have not checked it but looks about right). I need to try something like this with our tops.

When I first tried to boomerang this thing I thought it was almost impossible until I saw the official video. Now I have got pretty good at it. You need to throw the top almost straight up (but with the axle remaining vertical)! But I cannot get as much speed as with a ground throw. The top can be whipped and kept going while on the plate.

After much thinking, the only "new trick" I could come up with is a sort of "fetch the stick." I throw it to the ground spinning on its edge so it grinds and comes back to me. Then I try to scoop it with the plate and hopefully end with the top spinning normally on it. I haven't decided if I will send the video to Aerobie.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:04:24 PM by ta0 »

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
Re: Aeorobie Megatop
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:43:24 PM »

Uffff! In Spain we said "A full de Estambull"

The seconds spent to wach the video was all the time I dedicated to the megatop.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »

Yes, you could tell from the video that this was not going to be a "tricking top." But I did learn some things from it so I am happy I got it. What bothers me is that Aerobie is known for high-performance skill toys, so somebody after trying their claimed ultra-high performance spinning top may conclude that tops in general are no good.

I tried the Megatop style start with a Sidewinder. If you take out the rubber ring it leaves a circumferential groove at about the right height to place the string. The Megatop actually has an anchor for the end knot, but with the Sidewinder I just overlapped the string by 1/4 of the circumference. On the 1st throw on the snow sled it spun for a minute! But it was beginner lack: the next 20 throws were bad. I guess with practice it would work well (specially with an anchor on the top) but boomerangs would still be challenging.

I took out the tachometer (I haven't forgotten the Throwback, Jeff  ;) ) and measured 2000 RPMs for my throw of the Megatop on the ground. So I am sure the 3000 RPMs claimed are achievable. But I failed at doing the pirouette a kid does 3 times on the video ad: it kept bouncing off the plate. The Megatop is now stored: I have better tops to play with!

jeffs

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:15:19 AM »

Thanks for the review, Ta0. I think you saved me a little time and money.
Jeff Smith, Kalamazoo, MI