iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Continuing my practice  (Read 2777 times)

Blithen

Continuing my practice
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »

So after landing consistently the awesome Corkscrew Reversal! (Crowning achieve in my spintop career thus far!)
The next step I want to take is getting good with Rollercoaster regens(if it matters I'm just using a spintastics trompo top).
How I start off is boomerang it to my hand then I drop the top down merry-go-round style and then feed the string until the top can't go down any further. I  pop the top up and get ready to catch it on the string again but one of 3 things pretty much always happen. I either get all tense and miss the top or pull the string too tight and the top just bounces off the semi-taught string or I never know what to do with the slack string so it flops somewhere and gets tangled up in my arms. :P

SometimesI manage to get the top back on the string and bounce it up again but the top usually dies pretty quickly after that.

Now it seems which way the tip is pointing is pretty important for this trick so which why should the tip be facing when i pop it back up?(I'm right handed)

Basically I'd like any tips/pointers for this trick and how much "regen" can you expect from a successful rollercoaster, in terms of extra spin time. Like if you do it once you'll get 3 extra seconds of spin time or something like that. Hope that made sense. ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:12:00 PM by Blithen »
Well, we knew we missed the boat
And we'd already missed the plane

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Continuing my practice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:03:41 PM »

Rollercoaster takes a while to master, be patient (sounds like you already are patient).  Try Rollercoaster to hand for a while instead of going straight into another Rollercoaster, and maybe use a bearing top until you get the feel for the shape of the trick.  Don't worry about whether you are generating any spin yet.

Now it seems which way the tip is pointing is pretty important for this trick so which why should the tip be facing when i pop it back up?(I'm right handed)
The tip should be pointing toward the center of the rotation.  This can be easier said than done of course, but it is the same as when you do merry go round, and it is the same as balancing the top in your hand - you  can direct it by pulling the way the tip is pointing.

If nothing is making sense, post a video!  Easiest way to see if you are missing some aspect of the trick.

Blithen

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »

Thanks for the tips neff! :)
Would a heavy top work better for this? The trompo is pretty light considering it's all plastic. Anyway to weigh it down some possibly?

Benito

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »

Have any of you guys made tutorials on learning regens on YouTube or something?
~Ben

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:38 PM »

Chris is a humble guy and wouldn't promote his own stuff, but I'll point you to one of his regeneration videos:

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 06:57:48 PM »

Thanks for the tips neff! :)
Would a heavy top work better for this? The trompo is pretty light considering it's all plastic. Anyway to weigh it down some possibly?
Heavy does help.  A quicksilver hybrid would be a great top to get now.