iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trompo Bearing Cleaning?  (Read 4061 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Trompo Bearing Cleaning?
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »

I found lots of links on how to disassemble a BK but nothing on the Spintastics Trompo Bearing.
The bearings are fine. My 2 day old TB rolled under the sofa.  Cat hair and various dust bunnies are now caught between the tip and the body.
Advice anyone?
Thanks
Kirk
-----
edit
See tutroial attached below
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:21:19 PM by Kirk »

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Trompo Bearing Cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »

Dale has said to soak the tip end of the top in denatured alcohol over night and spin it really good with something like a dremel tool.  The other thing to try is get the small o-ring off of the shaft, soak the bearing, spin it and reassemble.  Put the o-ring on a straw and push it over the shaft and roll the o-ring down into the slot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:02:37 PM by Dick Stohr »
Practice hard and play safe.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:35:50 PM »

My TB is clear, so I can see in there is a lock nut on the top of the tip. I do not see any o rings.  I guess that I un-tape the crown then twist to get the crown off.

I did the Alcohol soak and spun it with the rubber tip of my Dremel. It is much better but not like new.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »

Yes, untape and unscrew the cap.  Then, I do not know about "lock nut" mine are all black rubber o-rings at the top of the inner bearing.

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »

lock nut's the older design i think...
leave the tip in, dip the tip of the top in mineral spirits... maybe leave it for a bit (i dunno)... i use a large (32oz) plastic cup from an icee and fill it two or three inches full of mineral spirits and put the top in it for a few minutes... maybe swish it around in the base of the cup some... then i take it out and dry it off with paper towels and pour the mineral spirits back into their bottle.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »

no wait, i was thinking wrong, locknut is new... i was thinking of a c-clip which now that i think about it i'm thinking my first trompo bearing was orings, and then a few years later i think i got one or two with c-clips in them... i don't have any trompo bearings with lock nuts, but
if it's the same setup as my new qs-hybrids, and i don't see why it wouldn't be: i wrap a paper towel that's been twisted into a rope around the tip and then either hold it with a pair of ten inch linesman pliers or use some vise grip pliers on the towel and then i use another pair of pliers to take off the nut totally simple... very similar setup to s8 tops.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »

The bearings are not dirty. It's the cat hair wrapped around the shaft.  I will disassemble and report back the results.

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:52:10 PM »

HA! cat hair... when i had long hair i had lots of problems with getting a hair wrapped up in the tip.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »

Trompo Bearing Cleaning Tutorial attached.
Spin forever o King (oops wrong top)
Kirk

Mr. Moderator,
 Is this in the right spot?

Oh Never mind after compressing images it is still barely over 200k
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:59:18 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 11:32:19 AM »

Trompo Bearing Cleaning Tutorial attached.
Spin forever o King (oops wrong top)
Kirk

Mr. Moderator,
 Is this in the right spot?

Oh Never mind after compressing images it is still barely over 200k

It is great that you made a tutorial to share your experience!
I would say that if it is just cleaning the bearing it can go in either this or the modding thread.

I have raised the maximum embedding size to 250kB.  I think that is more than enough for any picture for online viewing.  I actually think less would be fine for most images and I may compress and re-upload some that are too big.  I know that if I did not put limits some people would upload 10 megapixel images  ::)

Cattus

• Crepundia: my yo-yo and spintop collection
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »

I wrote a report about the maintenance of the Spintastics Trompo Bearing at Yoyo4All forum.
It is written in Spanish. You can try an online translator to understand it.

Here is the link:

http://www.yoyo4all.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2872

One of the bearings of my top was rusted probably because I play on the grass and sometimes it can be wet. So I dismantled the top, clean it and changed the bearings. Depending on the price of the bearings it can be better just to buy a new top.
This top has a rubber o-ring that locks the tip not a c-clip or nut.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 11:05:42 AM »

[The tutorial is now attached to Kirks post]

Very clear tutorial, Kirk! Thank you for taking the time to prepare it!

Something that should be noted about some generations of Spintastics Trompo Bearings is that a strong hit pushes the tip in and stops spinning well.  When this happens the tip just needs to be pulled out (e.g. using the string) until you feel it click.  The Earl, having freestyled with bunches of these, is an expert on this maneuver.