iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

REGISTRATION OPEN FOR 2020 WORLD SPINTOP ONLINE CONTEST

Author Topic: the first Hall of Fame addition in the new year of 2013!  (Read 3409 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
the first Hall of Fame addition in the new year of 2013!
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »

After years of procrastinating and thriftiness, I have finally retired my belt.  It has already lost parts of the inside and is so worn that it is ready to break in half.  I had hoped to buy a new one before the old one broke and I finally did that on the last day of 2012.  The store offered to throw my belt out.  I looked at them in horror.  "I have plans for this belt" I said.

What they did not know is that this is no ordinary belt.  First of all, I bought it from our fine downtown men's store (Suttman's) years ago.......I am still trying to figure out if it was 13 or 14 years ago.  It has been amazing in it's duration.  I wear it everywhere.  Not only do I work in it but I also wear it with shorts that I work out in.  This belt has seen hundreds of hours of top spinning.  This belt has been to every single one of our Miamisburg Whirled Top Festivals.  Better yet, this belt has been on the world top spinning championships stage ten times (by my best count).  I wore it the last six years and several of those years we had two divisions.  I also wore it once for the diabolo stage contest.  And the clincher is that last year someone came to the championships and his pants kept falling.  He needed a belt and guess who was there to help out?  Of course, Mark Hayward had to punch in another hole because good old faithful was slightly (ha) larger than what he needed.   

It is time to retire the belt to a place where it will be appreciated for all time.  The Hall of Fame is happy to accept such a donation.  If all goes well and I remember to do it, I would like to unretire it twice a year so it can go to the Miamisburg Top Festival and Worlds.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Dojo-yoyo7

• Gold Member
  • Got a love can't wait to throw it!
    • my yoyoexpert account
Re: the first Hall of Fame addition in the new year of 2013!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

MarkHayward

• ITSA Jr.
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »

Hilarious!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »

Very deserving, indeed!

I hear Rippley's Museum also wanted it!

;D ;D ;D ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »

By the way, how many years did we have two divisions at world's.  I am thinking it was three.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:14:50 AM »

By the way, how many years did we have two divisions at world's.  I am thinking it was three.
Yes, 2009, 2010, 2011 had both bearing and fixed tip divisions. 
Of those, only 2010 and 2011 had an official combined title determined by adding the scores (I guess I was the unofficial overall winner in 09).

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
a wild night for the Hall of Fame and Topland!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »

We had quite a storm last night.  Lots of wind and lots of rain.  I was at a local bookstore that has big windows and watched the whole thing occur.  It was good to be inside and in a safe place.  Then I got a phone call that a tree was down in our back yard.  I drove home wondering what kind of damage was sustained by the Hall of Fame and Topland.  The night before I had spent a number of hours cleaning the area and putting out new mulch.  Everything looked great!  Now this.  I drove home imagining the worst.  The one good bit of news was that I knew the rascals were safe in my car.

The tree that sits directly to the east of the Hall of Fame was down and laying everywhere.  For some strange reason, it broke in several places but about ten feet up from the ground.  It was almost like a twister hit the tree and whirled at it until the trunk spun and split everywhere.  I knew ta0 would be instantly upset that he wasn't here to get a video of the whole thing.  I trimmed away everything I could and marveled at how balanced the tree was as some of it laid on our porch roof and the majority of it was perched on our neighbor's roof.  Obviously, the electricity was out for the rest of the night.

Looks like there will be more daylight available for Topland.  This, of course, means we will be able to enjoy some more high throws.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »

I am glad the Hall of Fame (and your house, I hope) did not suffer major destruction).

Yes, I would like to see a spinning tornado (from a safe distance).

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »

After several more hours of work, Topland and the Hall of Fame are safe.  We got the last of the giant branches off our roof and the neighbors roof.  There is not much left of the tree from ten feet up.  My wife had the line of the day......and everyone (especially ta0) will be jealous.  She said "you might just be able to have a totem pole".

And guess what just might be able to be carved on the top of that totem pole?!?!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »

Did you save any of the pieces that a wood turner could use to make a top or two????????????
Practice hard and play safe.

jim in paris

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »

hello Dick

you stole my line !! ;D ;D
i was going to ask for the same thing ///

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »

I do have some pieces laid off to the side.  It is maple.  What do you think about that for top wood?

The remaining tree looks pretty wimpy at the top.  There is a Y at about ten feet from the ground and I am thinking there is the possibility I could shape them into two tops that are battling!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »

TERRIFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!