iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: more gasing videos  (Read 8736 times)

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Re: more gasing videos
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 07:39:18 AM »

Oh my, I can barely keep up with all the fascinating videos Johnm and others are posting!

Second that!
Really enjoyed the videos.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:44 AM »

Great find! Very nice collection and display (although some of the tops seem to be mounted permanently, what I don't like).

It really showcases the incredible variety of tops in Indonesia. Darwin would argue that this is due to the fact that the country is made of many islands and the tops could evolve independently in isolation  ;) The Galapagos of top spinning!

I liked that the TV anchors continued to talk excited for several minutes.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 09:58:47 PM »

OK.  I am not sure if this is the best thread to connect with or not but there sure are some good gasing videos here.  Now on to why I am looking for this.

We are having our Day Camp at the church this week.  We have been doing this for twenty some years.  I have made a few top spinning connections but very few.  Today, we met our new counselors and one is from Malaysia.  After getting to know her for a bit I finally asked her the loaded question.  Agnes, do you know anything about gasing tops from your country? 

Guess what she said.  She said "yes" and she also happened to mention that she brought one to show people about her country.  But she cannot throw it.  Would I help her learn to throw it!!! 
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 11:18:10 PM »

Wow! What a fantastic opportunity!  How about some video when that happens.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 10:40:42 AM »

She said "yes" and she also happened to mention that she brought one to show people about her country.  But she cannot throw it.  Would I help her learn to throw it!!! 

A Malaysian will learn how to throw a gasing from a Preacher from Ohio? That's funny!  :D It's also great!  8)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 03:33:28 PM »

TIME FOR THE OVEN. And make a Delrin trick FIGHTER.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 10:03:39 PM »

Ha ha!!!  It is so hot around here that I wonder about melting plastic on the cement.  But then, I just came from Houston and THAT was serious heat.  How do you handle that in Texas?  How about all of Mexico and Central America?  It is beyond this white haired ex-red headed's imagination.

Agnes brought her gasing with her this morning and I began work with it right away.  Sadly, I was terrible with it.  It is very touchy.  I have thrown it on and off all day and now feel ready to give her better advice.  I am still only 50-60 percent on spins and have only landed a couple sky rockets in the hard.  This little thing is tough.  I have touched my hand with a few boomerang attempts but the string is so short I have no time to pull back to get it coming toward me.  She thinks I am great but I know otherwise.

Oddly enough, it feels good to fail and try to figure out (once again) what I can do to improve.  I guess I miss that part of the top spinning process.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 12:40:27 AM »

Our week of Day Camp is winding down and so are my opportunities to connect with our Malaysian top spinning friend.  We did have an afternoon of workshops where the kids rotated through a number of different rooms and learned about different skills.  I shared introduction to peg top spinning and nearly 100 children came through in groups of 20 to try spinning.  There was not a lot of time but many boys and girls were able to get some spinners.  Of course, I also used the time to promote our August 25th event.  The gasing from Malaysia was on display as well as tops from Brazil (we have a counselor from there).  I am excited about how it went and hope to see a number of these children spinning at our event next month.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 11:40:22 PM »

Success!!!  We were able to get our Malaysian gal in the Hall of Fame today and she said she really enjoyed it.  Her Brazilian and Scottish friend also came.  It was another good night with fun stories shared at the HOF.  Now we can brag that people from 20 states and 11 countries have visited our sacred space.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 10:54:08 AM »

They will certainly have a strange story to tell when they go back to their countries!  :D

The HOF is a very unique place and feels like a privilege to have been there.

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 05:14:12 AM »

Most of these videos should  be soon added to spintricks!