iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Future contests  (Read 18028 times)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Future contests
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 09:40:15 AM »

The chosen "Ambassador" of the INEPTT project was often consulted however, no voting privilege was ever granted to him by Committee Vote.

The Donation of a top in any of the raffles was never a qualification for the entitlement of a vote.

We will abide by our Committee rules concerning release of INEPTT Fund$.
Relax Larry.  I do not desire a position on the committee that you left... twice.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 10:08:57 AM »

Let's all relax.  The ex-ineptt committee is an ad-hoc, sui-generis thingy, with no formal constitution and basically working on an honor system between friends.   I would explain more but I don't have a dictionary with me  :P  Someone would propose something and others would agree explicitly or tacitly, but we do not have written rules on quorum, etc. etc.  We were not really prepared for the original goal cancellation, except that on a post I said (without prior asking other committee members) that we would consult those donating tops before using surplus money on other projects. I also posted that any person buying tickets to the tombolas should have a say (what I think would be fair).

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »

hi all
hi chris

i agree' on the whole ; the "squatting" of organized events is a great opportunity, i have done that many times for various causes,but there are drawbacks too , like what's happening in Chico
you shouldn't underrate the necessity to be self-sufficient
What do we need money for?  If we piggy back on an existing event we could simply support the event and volunteer to arrange spin top stage time and workshops.
this attitude doesn't make sense, you will remain an outsider...fitting or not in the overall going of things..;i mean : to have a minimum of funding means more independence,more facilities and more power on the whole event....top spinning is here to stay////amateurism won't help in any way

let's go a step further !!more ambition=more work=more satisfaction
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
jim
Thank you Jim, I agree with your position.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »

I guess we do not need to call the contest Nats and go against Chico.  Let's call it US Spintop Open (USSO, USASO, GUSTO [Great Usa Spin Top Open]?)  As worlds (both of them) will be in August, June in Denver sounds good to me.

Just so there is no confusion, although Larry offered to leave the committee in two occasions because he thought he could not contribute anything further, he was dissuaded by the other members of the committee, who thought he would continue to be very valuable to the project.

Jon Gates

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »

I'm all for it being in Denver.
We could do it along with our regional Yoyo contest and give it more of a center stage presence than Chico.
Besides, the trophy has spent most of it's life in Colorado ;-)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:23 AM »

I'm all for it being in Denver.
We could do it along with our regional Yoyo contest and give it more of a center stage presence than Chico.
Besides, the trophy has spent most of it's life in Colorado ;-)
Perhaps the yo-yo regionals could be Saturday and the spintop nationals/US open could be Sunday?  I am afraid that Darren and you would be dedicating too much time to the yo-yos, otherwise  ;)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »

This thread caught the attention of the Kansas City Juggling festival.  They would love to host the event during their annual festival next year.  I told a representative that the design at the moment is for the event to stand alone.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Future contests (my long ramble)
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:22 PM »

Of course this thread has caught my attention also but I've waited until I saw which direction the talks were going.  I'm writing this from my viewpoint as a spinner/juggler. 

The yo-yo community seems to have abandoned top spinners which is a real shame.  I'm not a yo-yo player so I cannot speak to this situation.

As a juggler and a spinner, I've seen spinners at juggling festivals accepted as just another type of 'object manipulators' equal to anyone else on the gym floor.  The thoughts I have are geared towards perhaps bringing more spinners and a contest to juggling festivals. 

Denver is a becoming both a spinner and a juggling mecca.  There are yo-yo regionals and a great juggling festival both attended by a large number of excellent players.  With all the spinners in the area there would be an almost built in base to work from.  But it's still a ways to go for people anywhere east of the Missouri river.

Kansas City has a great juggling festival.  Central location. 24 hour access to a huge gym.  Excellent theater for shows.  Workshops all day on almost anything juggling related.  Attendance is growing every year. The folks there are good friends and I'm sure would welcome top spinners with open arms.

The Flatland Juggling Festival also puts on an excellent festival.  It's smaller and I think more intimate.  ThisNext year the fest is in Lincoln, Ne. Also a central location. The venue is similar to the one we had in 2011, with all our activities happening in one large banquet hall. We've been lucky enough to draw some great top spinners in the past who have been welcomed and featured in our public show and our renegade, late night open stage.  Oh, and skittles! And good food.

The KC and Flatland festivals are free.  No charge for a weekend of fun.

As a side historical note, the International Jugglers Association was formed by a dozen or so magicians who broke off from the magicians and went their own way as a juggling society. Their first 'festivals' were nothing more than picnics at a members house.

After all I've said I guess we need to decide if we want to go small and just have spinners attend whatever venue we can get together, or go big and continue to piggyback on someones elses established event. 

Sorry for the wall of text, just my random thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:53:07 PM by lincolnrick »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »

No apologies necessary, lincolnrick.  Thanks for the good information.  I like the idea of the centrality of flatlands and Kansas city and I do not think we can go wrong with either of them or Denver.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »

A decision must be made whether the spin top festival (resisting the use of the word contest) will be a singular event on its own or not.  That must be answered first, then location.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »

A decision must be made whether the spin top festival (resisting the use of the word contest) will be a singular event on its own or not.  That must be answered first, then location.

I vote for starting as a small stand alone event. We'll make it look big on the internet  ;)  Realistically, we cannot expect to grab many new players at someone else event, no matter how big.  The impact on potential players will be through videos.  Let's plan it so we players have a great time.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 04:53:58 AM »

Hi All
a stand alone project being so much time consuming ,
and after having read Lincolnrick's input,
 my position would be now to try and play "in between"

it means tapping on a scheduled venue KCity for example
but with a partnership perspective and enough assets to be within the festival and not added to the bill

it means explaining the organizers our main requirements : stage, sound workshops, accommodation ,food ,printed material etc..and offering our help,skills, and financial participation in any ways needed
so that we make sure to have a relative control of whats going on, even if some "compromises" might have to be agreed on ....

of course , this format is suitable to tap other events (cultural/ethnic weeks, etc ..)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 10:05:33 AM »

I am still in favor of the stand-alone contest. If it is small it should not be that hard to organize.  But if we joined another one, it has to be one in which we have spintop players among the main event organizers and decision makers.  I don't think that would be the case of Kansas, but it would be the case of Flatlands in Lincoln, the yo-yo regionals in Denver and, of course, Miamisburg.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:28:43 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »

Nick Civitello of the KC juggling club is an excellent top spinner.  He wants this event.  Bad.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »

Nick Civitello of the KC juggling club is an excellent top spinner.  He wants this event.  Bad.
Good. If he wants it really bad he should join this conversation (I am not sure if he is a member).

I would propose Miamisburg, as a pure spintop festival, if the dates could be moved to June or earlier.  Right now is 2 weeks after worlds, and that doesn't work.  We would need to get a stage, etc., and Mike would have to skip going to track and field events that morning  :P
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up