iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Future contests  (Read 18027 times)

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
Future contests
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »

A great review so far everyone, thanks for all the details and pics.  Congrats to all the winners in all the games and competitions. 

With airfares so high nowadays and having the best contests on both coasts, it does make it hard for someone in the midwest to travel to them.  I glad though I can meet some spinners at the juggling festivals I get to go to around here. 

St. Louis anyone?  End of October?

Denver. I am not so sure The Chico contest is good for us. We need to take the initiative and promote our own contests. It really seemed like we were an afterthought in Chico at Nationals--our stage was tiny and our PA was broken. I practiced my routine based on the music. When my music quit, I lost confidence and momentum. I really felt like I was getting a rhythm after working out my early jitters and the rhythm died with my music.  :-\

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Future contests
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:40 PM »

I nominate Flatland Juggling Festival for next year.  That, or converge on Miamisburg!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:21:02 PM »

Both Flatlands and Miamisburg are already great spintop meetings.  But for an alternative to nats I would agree with SirBoot about Denver.  With Jon, Darren, mtntop and now Alan there (plus the local kids from the skill toy club) it is difficult to beat.  Plus, let's face it, it is a better tourist destination.  Bob Malowney has been very nice to spintop players, but there is nothing like having a spintop player locally organizing the contest. And next year Bob is passing the torch to Thad. I don't believe Thad has ever shown interest in tops . . .  Fortunately, we do have Richy in Chico.

Changing contests, there was a lot of talk among yo-yo players at nats about next year's worlds in Prague.  Hinori and Taka were there so I asked them what the Japanese will do.  It turns out that the Japanese yo-yo association pays the tickets of all the national champions to go to worlds.  And next year will be . . . Prague.  I asked Hinori why would they want to have it the same day as Orlando and he answered: "because we do not want two world contests."  The impression I got was that no Japanese players will come to worlds. In 2014 worlds would go to Japan. I asked Hinori if they would consider a world spintop/koma contest but he was not very receptive and I don't think that will happen. On the other hand I talked to Valery from Yoyojam and she said they won't send players to Prague and was in fact annoyed with the split (but later I found that they barely sponsor their players, anyway).  She was also of the opinion that Duncan will have to decide between the two and cannot sponsor both (what is not what I had heard before).  My hope now is that Orlando survives 2014 and in 2015 the parties agree to a 3 year rotation where Orlando is the official world contest every 3 years.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »

hi folks
hi Justin , Jorge and Chris

let's go step by step
the national spintop contest as it has been in Chico no longer meets our needs

if that's agreed , we must find an alternative place , knowing that we would have to organize the whole thing by ourselves
how ? with what money ? with who ?

at this point the best thing would be to draft the basic requirements
and work from there ::
sound system/stage//accommodation/modding place/commercial display/video recording and feed/awards/prizes/insurance/ etc ..
what does that cost?

if we have a comprehensive roadbook we could tap a few cities
i'd say : Denver ok  NYC ok Laredo ok (on the rio grande?)
and see what funds or service we could obtain for the venue
whether a sports center , a school, a theatre, an outdoor stage etc ...

that's my first thought ,
 besides , at last ,
 officially registering the spintop association ;) ;)

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:15:07 AM »

May I put in a request? 8)

I would like the contest to be within 2-3 hours drive from St.Louis Mo   >:D

(that's where I will be for 6 months next year.) I know its a stretch! ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »

I agree Jim, we should start preparing now. The most critical things are choosing a city/venue (with local spintop people who are willing to put the effort) and raising the money to make it possible.

We could get a little bit of money from sponsors (e.g. Cometa), but probably not much more than what it will cost to make a nice stage backdrop where the names of the sponsors would be displayed.
We can raise an even smaller amount by registration and contest fees.
We have the ex-ineptt money, but Alan has said he only approves that it is used for videos.  So, at least the money raised with the top he donated, cannot be used. We would need feedback from Eric, Walter and Neff on the rest.
We can have new tombolas.  I would not expect to raise as much as with ineptt, but $1k or $1.5k would go a long way.
I think a feasible way of raising money would be to purchase some tops (or other skill toys) in bulk at reseller prices and sell them to the members at retail prices.  Member would have to pre-order.

Ideally we would have this contest before worlds and we would have enough money to sponsor the winner of nats to go to worlds like the Japanese do (at this time a pipe dream).

I think for US nats a central location would be best, so NYC or Laredo are not good choices.  The same would be the case of San Antonio; if not I would volunteer to organize it. 

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »

There is a lot to consider.

Since we usually only have three people freestyle and a few others do the ladder, would an event be considered a success if we beat those numbers?  Is that our biggest goal?  Of course, we want to get as many throwers together as possible and want things to go well enough to build toward the future but how many would gather for a weekend of "top only" events?  Hopefully we could pull something like this together. 

I am just thinking out loud.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

kevinm

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »

Since we usually only have three people freestyle and a few others do the ladder, would an event be considered a success if we beat those numbers?  Is that our biggest goal?  Of course, we want to get as many throwers together as possible and want things to go well enough to build toward the future but how many would gather for a weekend of "top only" events?  Hopefully we could pull something like this together. 

great points!
i'm looking for the 'thank you' button here...
spell check? anything??

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »

I think we should perhaps use existing venues, such as Flatland, or Jon Gate's annual yo yo contest, or KC Jugglefest, or Miamisburg... Move it around every year, ya know?  I would like to have HEAVY spin top attendance at one event once a year, just to see and share with as many of you as possible.  The National is not as important to me.  What do we need money for?  If we piggy back on an existing event we could simply support the event and volunteer to arrange spin top stage time and workshops.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »

hi all
hi chris

i agree' on the whole ; the "squatting" of organized events is a great opportunity, i have done that many times for various causes,but there are drawbacks too , like what's happening in Chico
you shouldn't underrate the necessity to be self-sufficient
What do we need money for?  If we piggy back on an existing event we could simply support the event and volunteer to arrange spin top stage time and workshops.
this attitude doesn't make sense, you will remain an outsider...fitting or not in the overall going of things..;i mean : to have a minimum of funding means more independence,more facilities and more power on the whole event....top spinning is here to stay////amateurism won't help in any way

let's go a step further !!more ambition=more work=more satisfaction
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
jim

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »

We have the ex-ineptt money, but Alan has said he only approves that it is used for videos.  So, at least the money raised with the top he donated, cannot be used. We would need feedback from Eric, Walter and Neff on the rest.
As General Secretary of the INEPTT Committee,  and for the sake of clarity,
I wish to provide accurate information to all the Forum members regarding exactly who is has a vote
on the use of any Funds Raised in the INEPTT Project.

There are 8 Voting members,
the Voting Members are:

Larry D. - general secretary
Jim Boehm - project coordinator
ta0 - treasurer
Maurizio - overseas coordinator
Pulp - overseas coordinator
Alan Gray - member of honour
Eric Wolff - member of honour
Walter Watts - member of honour

The chosen "Ambassador" of the INEPTT project was often consulted however, no voting privilege was ever granted to him by Committee Vote.

The Donation of a top in any of the raffles was never a qualification for the entitlement of a vote.

We will abide by our Committee rules concerning release of INEPTT Fund$.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »

There is no doubt in my mind that Flatlands would be a terrific nationals for top spinning.  I would love to go there for that but I could not guarantee it.  I would also be attracted because of the other events of the weekend.  Anything in Denver that got all their top spinners together would be great.  Even Madfest in the middle of winter would be intriguing for me.  Of course, we would love to have nationals here in Miamiaburg sometime especially if we could get some Cincy guys to compete along with John Buechele.  I would probably also join in with something because (contrary to what some believe) there are still lots of new possibilities with a top spinning routine.  I could not guarantee how much time I would be able to offer with the set-up and contest, though.  Personally, I don't think we should totally rule out Chico as a site in a rotation of locales.  That destination is still a draw for many people.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »

Jim is right, it is time spintops have an event where tops are the main attraction and our special needs are fulfilled.

The two most important factors in choosing a location are: 1- highest attendance of top spinners,  2- local spintop players that can organize it.  That is why I am inclined towards Denver (in summer).   

By the way, at nats I was talking with two movers and shakers in the US yo-yo community about worlds when one said that the contest that needed to be moved was nats.  Their preferred location was . . . the Mall of America!  That would definitely NOT be the place to have spintop nats (I imagine they only have hard floors, I have never been here).

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »

I competed in a impromptu top spinning contest at the Mall of America one year while they were counting the scores from the Midwest Regional Yo-Yo contest. It was right after the 1A competition so all three levels of the Rotunda was still full of people. I performed with my Stars and Stripes (9-3/4") top. The contest was judged by the volume of the crowd response. A giant red, white and blue top with white stars in the Mall of America did please the crowd. My prize was a wooden BC top. A wonderful venue for yo-yos, but not for spin tops. There were a lot of broken spin tops since everything is concrete. The stage was the only carpeted area.
Denver sounds like a great place for a top spinning contest.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 06:29:20 AM »

Denver sounds like a great place for a top spinning contest.

let's try and see what the odds are in Denver

is there an "arts and culture " department at the town hall?

Jon G might get us some clues/////////////////

jim
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up