iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: one of Miamisburg's most famous citizens dies - Dorothy McGuire  (Read 3247 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
one of Miamisburg's most famous citizens dies - Dorothy McGuire
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

Dorothy of the famous McGuire sisters died just the other day.  Information about her mentions her birth in Middletown, Ohio (just a few miles south of us) but most all of her school age years were spent here in Miamisburg.  They had a number of big hits and were on countless television shows.  The three of them  traveled the world giving concerts.

An interesting bit of trivia is this.  When ta0 was here for our Whirled Top Festival and we went out to eat afterwards at Chumps sports bar/restaurant, we were just a few feet from the house the McGuire sisters grew up in.  It was across the street and Takeshi was facing it from where he was sitting.  I can't quite remember where others were sitting as I was moving around trying to stay away from a certain woman!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: one of Miamisburg's most famous citizens dies - Dorothy McGuire
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 06:01:57 PM »

I don't recall you mentioning the McGuire home, but I do recall that dinner (with a large group of spinners) and you trying to get rid of that pesky younger woman  :P

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »

With everything going on that night, I am sure I did not mention anything about the McGuire sisters.  They were quite a hot item in the late 50's and early 60's but they aren't quite the talk of the town like they used to be.  I have been by the house several times in the last couple of days and it seems pretty quiet.  I am not even sure anyone lives there anymore.

It will be interesting to see what the local paper has to say about it all.  Zeemo, Dick Stohr.....you guys have to remember the McGuire sisters!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »

I was aware of the McGuire sisters as I was growing up, but they were someone my parents liked.  They were really more into Dean Martin, Nat Cole, the male singers of the time.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:22:38 AM »

Similar to Rick, I do recall seeing and hearing the McGuire sisters when they were guests on many of the early variety shows my parents watched when I was a youngster.

My folks always watched the Ed Sullivan, Red Skelton, Perry Como, Dean Martin and Danny Kaye shows.
Many of their songs are very familiar to me.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »

Yes, I knew about the sisters but had no idea they lived that close to Cincy.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »

Ahhh, the music of the 50's.  Thanks for the memories.  I vividly remember the Ed Sullivan show and the Dean Martin show.  It seems like we watched those a lot.  But what we NEVER missed was Lawrence Welk.  My grandma loved Loved LOVED him.  She used to get Christmas cards from him.

The more we talk about this the more I am remembering specific things about the McGuire sisters.  I now can remember my mom singing "Sugartime" to me before I was in first grade.  In fact, I think I remember learning the words and singing it with her......."sugar in the morning, sugar in the evening, sugar at suppertime".