iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: i had an idea on the drive home today...  (Read 3965 times)

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
i had an idea on the drive home today...
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:00:45 PM »

maybe this should be in NSTR but i'm not sure... and maybe it's been covered or discussed but i was just thinking it'd be nice if there was a place to upload video files to share as downloadable video files so if anyone who had more time on their hands wanted to play around with editing gobs of stuff... like for instance if my current computer is stupid at editing video i'm not likely to film much... or if i just don't have the time to edit video, i'm not likely to film much... but if there was an option to throw random footage out there for anyone to have and play with, maybe i or other people might be more inclined to film if i didn't care about the editing process so much do you know what i mean? i don't have any idea how much memory i'm talking about, but if i maybe had an option to put up a half hour  of just me turning on my camera for a half hour and going at it, like maybe if there was a button under my name associated with a downloadable video file or two ... a half hour might filter down to about five minutes of reasonably useable material, but i really don't have the patience for that kind of filtering, but if anyone was interested in that half hour it'd be fine with me if they wanted to edit it into something... and if lots of people started just putting up random stuff that they didn't feel like taking the time to put effort towards editing their own material, the collective material might filter into fun stuff...

the thought started because i was thinking about the people who turn tops, like if someone wanted to just film the entire process from start to finish and put it somewhere on here, it'd probably be huge amounts of video, but if there was an option where someone who doesn't mind looking through tons of material or if someone was bored and wanted six hours of boring crap to look at, who knows something about the process they might if they were so inclined to filter the parts that don't matter out through editing... if someone wanted to lighten the work, so the person turning the top could just focus on making the top and they could just turn on the camera and get to work without thinking "afterwords i'm going to have to edit this down before i post it anywhere" i just figured it'd be interesting to see if anyone wanted to take on the job of doing that editing...

sorry if i'm not being clear.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: i had an idea on the drive home today...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »

I think it would be for fun to edit other people's videos instead of my own... maybe a video trading program?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »

If I don't post videos from Gus before nats, everybody should shame me into releasing the raw video so somebody else does.
I feel guilty about it, the footage is great, but editing so much video is a lot of extra time at the computer and I already work most of the day in front of one . . .

When I go to a contest or meeting, sometimes I have the fantasy that a filming crew would follow me and all the tricks I see or do get filmed without me worrying about it or missing part of the action.  It is nice to dream . . .

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »

It seems to me that there are some who like to concentrate on one thing or another.  Some like regenerating tricks.  Some lean more toward bearing tricks.  Some enjoy doing a little more with making tops from scratch.  Some seem to enjoy doing more modifications.  It seems like there might possibly be someone who might enjoy editing and want to do a little more with that.  This thread makes sense to me.  I just am not exactly sure who specifically might like to do this at this moment.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 05:01:41 AM »

hi daveid , good idea in itself
the file sharing project , a bank of information for the future players
the downpoint i see in your examples is that I( and most pros at reports..) always shoot sequences with the editing in mind , in other words i 'm aware of what i want to show (and later edit),when i shoot a sequence,  and the meaning or the intention of different frames , close ups or high angle etc ..is important..//
i can imagine the difficulty to edit such shots without a booklet and some notes even with a de-rushing ..////
other downpoint: editing is a time-eating activity
most serious reporters do a "shot - edit" approach , shooting various transitions in addition to the main sequences, it's a huge gain of time

my 3 cents

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:29:38 PM »

the downpoint i see in your examples is that I( and most pros at reports..) always shoot sequences with the editing in mind , in other words i 'm aware of what i want to show (and later edit),when i shoot a sequence,  and the meaning or the intention of different frames , close ups or high angle etc ..is important..//
i can imagine the difficulty to edit such shots without a booklet and some notes even with a de-rushing ..////
other downpoint: editing is a time-eating activity
most serious reporters do a "shot - edit" approach , shooting various transitions in addition to the main sequences, it's a huge gain of time

i know what you mean, on previous equipment (my old computer, and the camera i used to use) i started doing the same thing, as in: shoot, edit, shoot, edit, shoot, edit...and actually my favorite of my own videos was done like that extensively enough that i don't think i used any shots more than once... but now my equipment is different, the new laptop doesn't have the same editing software and the new camera while hi-def, lacks significant ease of use to do things like shoot-edit-shoot-edit, and my lack of being able to do much of anything with it mixed with my increased laziness in my free time means i'm not even so much as turning on my camera.... or checking the message board but once or twice in a blue moon... the times i think about turning on my camera anymore, i have no specific thoughts of what i want to show, mostly i think "well maybe i just go at it for a bit and if anything interesting happens i'll cut it down to one shot and put that up somewhere," but i usually end up not turning on my camera, and turning on the tv instead to watch something with helen mirren in it.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »

If I don't post videos from Gus before nats, everybody should shame me into releasing the raw video so somebody else does.
I feel guilty about it, the footage is great, but editing so much video is a lot of extra time at the computer and I already work most of the day in front of one . . .

I'm not sure how others feel, but I don't mind seeing drops, top winding, talking, etc. in videos of people having fun with tops.  Videos of events and gatherings or even practice sessions are not necessarily intended to be tutorials or performances, they can just give those that could not attend a little sense of the atmosphere and fun.  How many of us have watched entire clips of the Cometa tours where there are ten or so kids just throwing spinners and having a good time without feeling like we've wasted our time?  It is then just a bonus if someone else takes the time to edit a 'highlights'  video.

I for one would enjoy seeing the raw video of your trip to Mexico (or raw video of Daveid just seeing what happens with the camera on), so nothing personal here, I'm just following instructions. ;D ;D

SHAME!  SHAME!  SHAME!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »

Oh, John never misses anything, never forgets . . .  Yes, I am shamed, very shamed. I'll try my best to get it out soon.