iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Loop string regens  (Read 5593 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Loop string regens
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 10:49:28 AM »

Has anybody tried the trick?  Any success with other tops?

By the way, this "string loop" toy was on Grand Illusions newsletter for September, I it occurred to me that it could be used perhaps to regenerate a top.

String Thing

The idea would be to use a shorter string and do crazy-eights.  Lazy loop string regens  :P

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 01:23:18 PM »

Neat! 

I haven't tried the loop yet.  I've done it with a diabolo quite a bit.  I would think it is possible to do barrel rolls, magnetic wire, and suns with smooth transitions, kinda like Gerardo does at 0:30 here:

Trompo Gerardo Montero Rutinas

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »

I saw those string loop toys at Disneyworld after dark...I thought they were pretty neat.  The ones I saw were hand held and illuminated.  The motors seemed too weak to drive a top, but with a little modding... >:D
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »

Neat! 
I haven't tried the loop yet.  I've done it with a diabolo quite a bit.  I would think it is possible to do barrel rolls, magnetic wire, and suns with smooth transitions, kinda like Gerardo does at 0:30 here:
Yes, you can do all those tricks with a loop of string just by holding it like a normal string like Gerardo does in that video. Gustavo is a master at doing that, like in the atomos-bastones (suns with a "string triangle").  But they don't really use the "loopiness" of the continuous loop of string.
Over the weekend I tried pseudo barrel rolls using a loop: instead of moving the hand under the top, I just pull the string upwards, alternating both hands: right section of string when the tip pointing away from me and left side when it is pointing towards me.  It is like an lifting a bucket from a bottomless water well.  It regenerates but I need to work more on it before I post a video.

I saw those string loop toys at Disneyworld after dark...I thought they were pretty neat.  The ones I saw were hand held and illuminated.  The motors seemed too weak to drive a top, but with a little modding... >:D
On the description of one I read that it has a "knot detector".  So I am afraid that, even it the motor was powerful enough to overcome the friction, it might shut down due to the weight of the top.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 01:34:45 AM »

I hadn´t seen this topic.
I was reviewing the forúm and seeing what was lost for me.
Congratulations, Jorge¡
I´ve not tried yet, but in a free time (seldom this for my,btw) I´ll do it.
At first sight, immediately I could notice that is the same principle of átomo-órbita.
well, a new regeneration, that´s is very good new too me..!!!

topper777

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »

i have been using my stb 2.0 for this trick and it works quite well

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »

i have been using my stb 2.0 for this trick and it works quite well
Great! I had not tried it with a STB 2. 
I am happy somebody else is doing it.  It does work very well.

Have you tried it over the arms? I showed it to Dale at nats and he liked that version the most.

I have also tried it over the head with a long string and it works. But, as you do not see the top for half of the rotation, you need to keep a very steady pace and it is easy to lose the top.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I recorded the overhand version but I never uploaded it.  Here it is:

Looping a Top Overhand

Javier

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 09:43:03 AM »

Fantastico! tengo que provarlo!