iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: KC Juggling Festival  (Read 5140 times)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
KC Juggling Festival
« on: August 30, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »

Juggling festivals are always a good place to meet up with other top spinners and throw some.  The Kansas City Jugglers are putting on a great fest this weekend if anyone is in the area.  While you're spinning tops, you'll be able to see some outstanding international jugglers both on the floor and at the show.  If fire is your thing, there will be a performance of the KC fire troupe on Friday night.  This blew me away last year! 

There were a few spinners last year. I hope more can attend this year. The public is invited and admission is FREE (nominal cost for the big show saturday night)

Here's the deets:

http://kansascityjugglingclub.com/fest/2012/index.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:45:50 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: KC Juggling Festival
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »

GOING!  Maybe we can get Daveid to go again this year.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »

Great festival.  Several elite top spinners there such as Rick, Daveid, Chad Lunders, Nick Civitello, the Surface boys (my friends from my home town).  The show was awesome, including the World Champion Bataan twirler, Ben Conde's world class off string yo-yo routine, and Bronkar Lee, a very, very funny beat-boxer / juggler was the headliner.  I laughed so hard I couldn't see.

A photo by my friend Vince (not to be outdone by my friend Kevin ;D )

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »

Wow, lots of great fests happening in the same general time frame.  Daveid was there?  Is he doing OK?  Are things settling down with his life so he can throw some again?

Good old Chad Lunders.  What a good guy and one who is always up for some new and creative juggling/spinning fun.

Bronker Lee sounds pretty cool.  I will have to look him up.

Thanks for the update!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:20 PM »

That sounds like a great festival. It is wonderful that Daveid got out of his cave or facebook or wherever he is hiding from us, and went.

I think it had enough spintop action to be on the main board.  In fact, I am moving it there.  And I nominate that picture to the photo contest.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »

The KCFest was indeed a great time. I split my time between juggling and spinning with Chris, David and the others.  Taught a few kids the basics, but there was so much going on, their attention span was limited. 

Thanks to Chris my Hybrid is now better balanced.  He carries a bag that has all the necessary tools to repair any top and is actually excited to help out.  I also got some tips on how to better throw my trapeze so as to use my whole arm, not just my wrist.

Vince was not only the photographer who got that great pic of Chris but was also in the main show as part of the 'Flying Monkeys' and did a great club swinging routine with his parter Eric.  Vince was also part of the late night Renegade show doing one of the best fire eating routines I've seen.  Good enough for standing ovation from a pretty jaded group of jugglers.

So here's a shot of Davidid, Chis, and me on the festival floor.

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »

thanks Mr.Neff for letting me play with all them perrty s8 tops...
and also thanks for reminding me that i need to go buy some batons (that baton twirler was awwwesome!).

it was a great time, nice to see other top spinners like lincolnrick and neff... and i landed more reverse thrown one handed lassos than i have in years.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 06:56:55 PM »

Yeah, that is crazy hard by the way.  Daveid challenged me to land a double boomerang (right and left hand at the same time).  Took a while but I got it.  Feels Awesome!  Also worked on synthetic tangler.  Didn't even get close lol.

Alternate Beginning

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »

There are not enough practice hours in the next 12 months for me to learn that.
WELL DONE & THANKS for the example of what can be done by those with talent.
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 08:48:31 PM »

I had completely forgot about that video and the one-hand reverse lassos.  So I can repeat what I must have said originally:  :o :o

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »

oh also, for several hours there was a string sitting next to some of our stuff, it had a guitar pick with a hole in it for a button... such an obviously great choice for a button and it seemed not to belong to anyone for several hours until chad lunders came by and it turned out to be his...

specifically: guitar pick button for top string = totally awesome idea... i need to go buy some guitar picks... the little buttons that i have from neff are good too, but i thinks guitar picks may just be if not better in practice, better because the association to a guitar is just cool.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »

So, Daveid, do you play guitar?  We have a low-key noon guitar service where people bring in their acoustics and we have fun jammin' each week.  Matt Ritter played with us when he was in town for our festival.  Maybe we should keep the legacy going and try to get you in for one service?

Yes, I remember that Chad Lunders guitar pick thing.  I have one of his strings with a pick as a button.

By the way, guitar stores are now really branching out with their guitar picks.  A while back I bought a bunch of Beatle picks and Spiderman picks and gave them out.  They were a big hit.  Just the other day when I was at the store I noticed some more picks for Queen, Elvis, Pink Floyd, Woodstock and AC/DC.  Lots of great choices for buttons!

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »

the vast variety of images available on guitar picks is one of the unimportant things about them as buttons that appeals to me...
and no i don't play any musical instruments, i have no rhythm (i was raised LCMS  ;))

and if you could find some of the oversized guitar picks i'd expect that they may work as buttons for the ropes used with oversized tops...

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »

Well, it was worth a try to 1)see if you played guitar 2)see if you enjoyed picks with images and 3)see if you have rhythm.  Sorry I struck out all three times!