iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Snap Start  (Read 2774 times)

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
The Snap Start
« on: August 14, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »

'Ello dere,

My lady friend is out of town so I am bored. I made some string this evening and tested it by seeing if it would regenerate spin from a snap start--I am pretty sure that is one of the better ways to test the effectiveness of string. I also put all of my other string in a mesh bag and washed it. It is so nice and purdy now--but that is another story.

The snap start. I was able to regenerate with the string, though I found it to be a little too limp noodle-y for me, so I don't love it. So, instead of making more mediocre string, I decided to see if I could snap start all of my tops (using my best good piece of string). I can...excepting my Quicksilver Hybrid (and Sodatop, but he doesn't count). I snap started a cobra, a saturno, a mercurio, all five of my Diet RC's, my Diamantin, all three of my Giulias (two OWB and one fixed), and my Cuper (it is the easiest and most consistent). I could not, however, snap start my Quicksilver Hybrid.

Why not?

For those of you who have successfully snapped the QSH can you tell me your trick? Do you just have freakishly strong and/or lightning fast fingers? I always figured the Giulia would be the hardest, but I always figured wrong.

I know that most of you are busy getting fired up about worlds, but don't forget about us little folk on the site who are still just trying to learn how to play with this fun little toy.

Hugs and Kisses,
boot.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: The Snap Start
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:50:55 AM »

Great progress with snap start!  Many consider that trick the threshold to be a "pro" player.

I am not sure if there is a trick to starting a hybrid QS, I just do the same way as with others.  In fact, even a full-metal QS can be snap started, but that one is a real challenge:

What can I say, there pros and there are Pros  :D  :P  (I'll see you tomorrow at the juggling meet, but I'll probably forget my QS  ;) )

You may also want to try the two-handed "prayer" start, a la Jakub.  It is probably an easier snap start for heavy tops (and would also work with the sodatop).

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »

Thanks, Ta0! I can do the prayer start with both, but I really feel should be able to do a traditional snap start with the QSH. There are pros and then there are PROS. Clearly, I am Luke Walton and you are Larry Bird, and Gus is Michael Jordan.  ;D

Don't worry, I'll keep practicing. I don't think one is pro until he or she is sponsored. Any top companies out there want to make me a pro? I have marketing skills and learn languages quickly.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »

A-ha! I see what you did in the video that I have not been doing. You pivoted to your left which essentially gave you more time to deal with the initially quick precession. I think I can get it now. I am off to practice...except I don't have any Salvador tips for my QSH. Hmmmmmmm...so, wanna bring some of those tomorrow?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »

I am quite happy with your snappy starts.  Keep up the good work.  Buen trabajo!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!