iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: String Organization?  (Read 3042 times)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
String Organization?
« on: June 24, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »

I'm going through a shoebox full of my "spare" top stings; lots of various lengths, materials, colors, thickness, etc.

I thought I'd ask if any of you have come up with clever ways to keep your top strings organized?

For tops I'm playing, I ususally drape strings over their respective tops when not in use; my "player" tops are often on a shelf or mantle and the the strings hang free.  I like this, but it doesn't help with the spares...

When I put tops away, I don't like leaving strings wound on--they seem to get "wavy".  I've tried keeping top and string together in ziplock bags, but this hasn't been very satisfying either.  I'm not a neat freak or even well organized in general, but there has to be a better way than a shoebox-o-strings.

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?
Erratic Wobbler

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
Re: String Organization?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »

Send the box of string to me. Out of sight, out of mind.

I like to figure eight wrap around my thumb and pinky.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »

A tie rack seems ideal.  Under $10 on Amazon (probably even cheaper at thrift stores) and individual hangers to prevent strings from different tops from socializing.

Could even just put some notches in a regular coat hanger.

Some dowel made or bent wire spice racks might provide a nice way to store and display tops as well as provide ample space to hang strings organized below or along side their respective tops.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:02:41 AM »

Thanks for this John!  I think I'll try this one:

I like that all the strings will be at the same level so I can hang/mark a reference cord to quickly gauge length.  The price is right too!

I was thinking of simply hammering some finishing nails into a strip of wood, but this closet tie/belt is pretty compact.  If it doesn't work out, at least it may still help in my closet.  ;)  (gee, which one of my four ties will I wear this year?)

The other idea I've been considering is attaching a thin coated wire to the wall with short arms--like a towel rack of sorts.  We have something like this that we use to hang the kids school work on--I'm beta testing it now.   ;)

I'll have to try the fig 8 wrap too--haven't done this yet.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »

I found a three pack of really cheap carabiners.  I organize my strings by top size, little carabiner for little tops, middle size for normal, big one for grande and larger.  Here's how I do it.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:26:52 PM »

I have read this thread with much interest.  Clever idea with the tie rack.  I have had the best luck with simply making sure my strings are wound up and kept in sealed plastic bags but I am open to new ideas.......especially when the strings are damp from sweat.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

topper777

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:09:03 PM »

I found a three pack of really cheap carabiners.  I organize my strings by top size, little carabiner for little tops, middle size for normal, big one for grande and larger.  Here's how I do it.

the caribeaner thing is a great idea. i have tons of string and taking the time to wrap them up and tie them for storage is a big hassle. i think im going to try your idea. i have tons of caribeaners!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »

I don't play with many tops that don't have holes in the cap; Strommol8, Duncan, Spintastics... if it does not come with a hole, I make one.  Also, I only use small buttons that will fit inside said holes.... so for string storage I just wrap it around my fingers and shove the string in the hole.