iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 3739 times)

Jimk

New to the forum
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »

Hello All,
    My name is Jim and I am a misplaced Texan now living in the heart of Central Kentucky (USA). I must admit that I am several levels below beginner at this point. I had tops as a kid but never did quite get the hang of it and switched to Yo-Yos as most kids did.
Now some 50 or so years later I am thinking of making some tops and giving it a try once again. I am an amateur woodworker and have a small lathe. I have also found a place to order tips.  I have been lurking on the forum a bit but still have a ton of questions. Like what is the advantage of hollow verses solid? Is there any shape or size that is best or more popular?  I tend to gravitate towards the “traditional” style that they sold at the dime stores when I was young. What type of wood is good for tops? Poplar, oak, walnut and cedar are very easy to come by here, I also have a woodcrafters supply near me. Any and all advise are welcome.

Thanks

JimK

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »

Welcome! Great to see so many new top throwers!  :)

Although I cannot answer your questions well, others will be able to.

I throw tops. I don't make them. (yet) ;)

Anyways, welcome!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:39:16 AM »

Welcome Jim! 

I'd suggest you simply turn a few tops of traditional shape and size and see where it takes you.  Much of the joy for me has come from playing with tops of various shape, size and composition. 
Erratic Wobbler

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:38:06 AM »

Welcome to the forum Jim.

As far as size goes I think the tips you refer to will dictate the approximate size of the top you want to turn.  Other than that I would agree with poptop and just start turning.  Let us know how you progress!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »

Hello JimK.  Great to have you on board.  You ask a lot of good questions and I am thrilled to hear of your interest in not just throwing but also turning.

Central Kentucky isn't too far from southwestern Ohio, which is where I am.  Where exactly are you?  I could maybe make a trip your way so we could toss a few down together.  Also, there are some very fine people and fine top spinners at the University of Cincinnati.  Maybe we could meet up there some time?

Also, are you very close to Berea College?  They are pretty serious about woodworking there and once, when I stopped to visit, they had several skittle games in the waiting room of their dorm.  Are you very near this school?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »

Jim, Welcome to the Forum!  :)
I identify very well with the” 50 Year Gapper” category.  ;D
It’s great getting back!  8)

Jimk

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. I have ordered the tips , and some strings today and hope to get them soon. I may try my hand this weekend and see what happens.

Earl- I am just south of Lexington KY in Nicholasville. I guess I am about 25 or so miles from Berea. I have never been to the college though I tell myself that I need to go every year.

JimK

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »

Yippeee!  Nicholasville is only 150 miles from me and 2 hours and 45 minutes, according to Google.  We need to get together.  That would be a nice drive on my day off, once track season is over.  What do you do on Tuesdays?

Jimk

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »

Hey Earl,
    Most Tuesdays I am working but we can see what happens. I am sure that I could use some lessons once I get started.
JimK

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »

Welcome Jim, this is very interesting.  Yesterday I was on the way home from St. Louis MO (USS Ticonderoga ships crew reunion) and drove through Lexington.  So close and yet so far.
To answer one of your questions, for a given weight a hollow top will spin better/longer than a solid top.
Practice hard and play safe.