iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Deadline to submit World Contest Videos is October 25th

Author Topic: Eclipse  (Read 4579 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Eclipse
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »

This weekend we went to Corpus Christi on the Gulf of Mexico, to take advantage of the last weekend before the summer rates.  We packed in a hurry so I even forgot to take a spintop with me!  :-[ :-[ :-[  The only top I had was a Cuper key chain top that Beatriz happened to have with some of her keys.
I also forgot to take any filter to view the solar eclipse.  I knew it was going to be only partial, not annular like in some parts of the world (up to the Texas Panhandle).  Fortunately for us, the eclipse started just before sunset, when you can look at the sun directly.

We found a perfect location to watch the eclipse on the National Seashore Reserve, looking towards Laguna Madre from Padre Island. I only had a pocket camera, and these are  a couple of the photos I took.  Unfortunately it is practically impossible to get both the sun and something close in focus at the same time.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:01:50 PM by ta0 »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »

The second shot is really nice!

We watched from our driveway, passing 'round a replacement lens for a welders mask.  Good stuff. A friend told me they used an old exposed sheet of X-Ray film, which I thought was a clever idea.
Erratic Wobbler

jim in paris

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »

it is practically impossible to get both the sun and something close in focus at the same time. as always !!
good snapshot of the eclipse...and you barely get away from posting in the infamous NSTR section:well played , pal ! ;D

now with Corpus Christi,Laguna Madre and Padre Island , god almighty must have helped you  >:D
jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »

Yes, posting this as top-related was a stretch. I guess I was thinking on the top picture I COULD have taken if I had had a bearing top with me and I had planned it in advance.

This is another photo in which you can barely see the eclipse but at least the keychain top is spinning on a picnic table:

On the other hand, during the last minute of the eclipse I did not want to be messing with the camera, I just wanted to take it in.  It was a truly awesome sunset.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »

So beautiful.  Nice job with the equipment you had on hand.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:40:45 AM »

That's beautiful! thanks for sharing :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »

This Tuesday June 5th in the States and Wednesday in Europe (north of Spain) and Asia, a very rare transit of Venus in front of the Sun will be visible. Perhaps not too spectacular (just a black dot on the sun) but it won't happen again for 105 years. Historically Venus transits were very important, so if you are interested in this kind of things you don't want to miss it. Good information here and here.

Please be safe.  Never look without the proper filter at the sun, unless it is about to set and it is red (for the definitive word about safety when looking at the sun, watch this video of an expert talk). Venus will be visible without magnification as a dark spot on the sun. 

If you do not have a solar filter, you could build a simple pinhole projector like in this link.

It is going to be very difficult to take a spintop related photograph, but I will try . . . I hope it is not cloudy!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:07:17 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:11:12 PM »

I just want to tell you how things went.  Around "touch" time here, 5 PM, it was sunny and the sun was still high.  Using binoculars with silvered filters I could see nicely the disc of Venus entering the sun (and got a suntan at the same time).  I tried a little with the telescope but I preferred the binoculars.  But with the filter just covering my eyes I could not see it.  In our home only Pablo had eyesight good enough to discern it without magnification.  The 7 foot pinhole projector I built did not work. To get enough resolution to see Venus the pinhole had to be very small but then the image of the sun was too faint to see in the ambient light. In hindsight I should have covered my head and the box with a black cloth.

We drove to the countryside to watch the sunset against the horizon.  Unfortunately, a bank of clouds covered the last 20 minutes of the sunset and we could not watch the unfiltered sun.  Anyway, it was a beautiful sunset so it was worth the drive.

By the way, Monday before dawn there was a partial lunar eclipse, but I missed it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:23:28 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:44:51 PM »

Here is a great video using different filters and in "ultra high definition" by Nasa:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=145648241
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:49:23 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »

There is a partial solar eclipse over the US today, October 23. In Seattle it will peak at 3PM and last close to 3 hours, but you need eye protection to watch it. In New York City it will be barely visible before sunset. Cleveland can be a good place to watch it with the naked eye at sunset on Lake Erie. Over here it will end just before the sun goes down.

You can enter your city here to see what you can expect at your location: www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in.html

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »

Not a great shot, but it's all I got...the little dot is the eclipsed sun iPhoto'd thru a welding mask glass plate.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 11:05:38 PM »

Not a great shot, but it's all I got...the little dot is the eclipsed sun iPhoto'd thru a welding mask glass plate.
Hey, at least you got it (and a top with it!). Here it was very cloudy  :(