iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why Peonza not Trompo?  (Read 3065 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Why Peonza not Trompo?
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »

Something I was very curious and wanted to ask Cometa was why in Hungary and Slovakia they were using the name peonza on the Cometa campaigns.  Peonza is a term used in certain regions of Spain for the spinning top. In addition, I believe some in Spain differentiate between trompo and peonza according to whether is has a crown or not. Antonio Cortes, the owner of Cometa, told me that "as spintops were not known in those countries" he did some brainstorming with his sales manager, Humberto Hernández, and they decided to name it peonza because "it is a name that is already present in Europe".

It is true that our "acrobatic" style of spintop play (by the way, an adjective given by Pulp that has stuck) was not known in those countries, but they did know some other types of spinning top play.  In fact, Knut Hegna's website has 4 different names for spinning tops in Hungarian: búgócsiga (humming top) ; Pörgettyu; Pörgö and Csiga. I am sure there must be a name in Slovakia, at least for plunge and finger tops. 

I think that they should have used the generic names in the languages of those countries. But if they were going to change them, it is surprising that given that the company is called Trompos Cometa and "trompo" is a name much more widespread, being used in most of Latin America, that they would choose "peonza."   The biggest irony, is that among the Spanish "acrobatic" players the term "trompo" is used: see Pulp's forum and Trompos Space!!! I guess this is already irreversible, "peonza"  will be the term by which it will be known in those countries . . . and in Germany!!!

When I told Antonio that this type of tops were well know in Germany as Kreisel and that they even had bearing tops in the 1930's he was surprised. He told Humberto: "we should have used that name but now it is too late."  In fact, I saw the boxes already printed in German . . .

I guess people in the future will assume that these toys and style of play came to those countries from Spain given the etymology.  I don't think they will ever guess the true story unless they find this post  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:24:26 PM by ta0 »

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
Re: Why Peonza not Trompo?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »

That's why they need to hire me to do their marketing.

Muzico

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »

In my city (Segovia, Spain), is called "Peón" or "Peonza" ... very few people know as Trompo ... However, in Portugal and Galicia (Spain community), is known as Trompo ... Are synonymous!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »

I am sure there must be a name in Slovakia, at least for plunge and finger tops.

Actually, I just remembered that we used to have an active member from Slovakia, Killswitch, and he posted: "here in my country its called: vlk (which translates to english - wolf)"   But I understand that a name without vowels would be difficult for the demonstrators to pronounce . . .  ::)

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »

I'm in Czech Republic. The language is very similar to Slovak. If you have any questions I can ask a czech friend.

Also, Daniel konecny (Don't know his forum name) and Jakub Konecny (Hroch) are czech.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:13:07 PM »

Also, Daniel konecny (Don't know his forum name) and Jakub Konecny (Hroch) are czech.
Hrosik, of course!  :D

By the way, we have another (recent) Slovak member, Binonael. He seems to be a product of the Cometa campaign there (or maybe the distributor?)  The facebook page of "Peonza Slovensko" is here.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 03:46:45 AM »

eolo funtrix the Spanish company, also uses "Peonza"
http://shop.eolo.com/es/funtrix-spin-top.html
but in Morocco where they share the Arabic-Andalusia culture , they call it Trompo ..." Zarbout" is mostly used in Tunisia and Algeria, not in Morocco

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"