iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TV interview of the Top Lady  (Read 13170 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: TV interview of the Top Lady
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 10:36:40 AM »

I just noticed that Mike is wearing the T-shirt from the Tip Top Cafe of San Antonio: yeah!  :)

I think the roto-molded top he has in his hand was modded for a bearing tip. Did it remain in Burlington?

PrincessTrouble

• ITSA
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »

I just noticed that Mike is wearing the T-shirt from the Tip Top Cafe of San Antonio: yeah!  :)

Small world!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 12:21:03 PM »

never been to S-A but I have the cap of the tip top café ;D
I'd like to get the T shirt !Jorge,my birthday is in july, so you have plenty of time >:D
jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »

never been to S-A but I have the cap of the tip top café ;D
I'd like to get the T shirt !Jorge,my birthday is in july, so you have plenty of time >:D
jim

Actually, I have more time, as I will give it to you in person next year  ;) It has been open since 1938, so there is little risk that it will close soon.

On the other hand, in 2015 they opened a second location but it didn't work and closed. The last time I went by it still had the big neon sign with the spintop on one corner of the lot, very similar to the one in the original location. I don't know if it belongs to the new restaurant at that location or if it still belongs to the Tip Top Cafe. I would certainly would want it . . . But it probably costs quite a bit of money just to lower it from the massive columns.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 04:33:10 AM »

I don't know how I missed these responses.  Yes, the Tip Top Cafe has been a very good "go to" shirt for me when it comes to top spinning events.  I wear it a lot at our Miamisburg festivals and usually take it to worlds.  I cannot believe how well it has worn.  Has it been 10 years since I ate there with Jorge and his family?  I had been with Judith at the Top Museum for a while when she suddenly said "you have a top spinning shirt on!!!"  That made the wearing of it all worthwhile.

Yes, the top I have was from johnm.  Eric Wolfe asked for a roto-mold top that was really unbalanced and considered a reject.  John complied and sent him this piece.  Eric cut the top off, put in a bearing and balanced it.  It is a terrific spinner and great for visibility along with putting a spinner in people's hands.  I also have used it to run, hurdle and unicycle.  All my unicycle with a top spinning record attempts have been with this top.  I love it too much to leave it in the hallowed grounds of the top museum.  I carry it around in my car always ready for action.

She has been doing a lot of grant writing.  I assume that is to help with repairs around the building and especially after the water damage.  Hope that works out for her.  What she has going there is very special and unique.  It seems like that would be a good location for a gathering or a festival. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:50:57 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 05:09:10 AM »

At one point during my visit, the top lady pulled out a game where you spin a top among some little balls.  That would then kick them out into some holes marked with numbers.  After each spin you would add up your score.  Last night I was out in the hall of fame (it is not quite so cold anymore thanks to the weather change) and noticed I had that same game.  Is anyone familiar with this or the company - Mespi.  I have the Alpenroulette.  It looks like you have to click on the "roulette" section to see the top games.....

http://www.mespi.com/deutsch/index.htm
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:22:01 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 09:04:36 AM »

I picked one of those up on ebay.  It's great inspiration for beginners to perfect their finger spinning technique.  Sometimes the little wooden balls fly out of the playing field.  I anticipate having to replace them at some point.

PrincessTrouble

• ITSA
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 04:47:28 PM »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 07:03:10 AM »

I noticed that the balls in my game are kind of small and light but what Judith had in her game was marbles.  Maybe she already had to replace her pieces?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2022, 04:51:38 PM »

It took me a bit, but I finally found this old thread.  Looks like I was there three years ago.  We talked about Judith several times this weekend as I have a number of items from her in the hall of fame.  I got a photo of Joe Mauk holding a picture of Judith spinning what was considered the largest top in the world (at that time)!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2022, 11:37:16 PM »

I telephoned Judith today and we talked about me coming up for a visit on November 7th.  Sadly, most all of her tops are still boxed up.  Progress on the Top Museum, after the water damage, has been slow.  She did say she could try to pull out a few of her more significant tops.  I told her I was especially interested in the ones that were in the movie “My Summer Story.”  She asked if I was bringing up my high wheel bike and I told her about the Scovie site and her picture with it in front of the Top Museum.  For reference sake, here is that link again.  https://scovieprecisionturning.com/a-comprehensive-toy-museum-and-spinning-top-museum-list/

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2022, 11:29:54 PM »

I am packing tops tonight.  She says she wants all the gyroscopes I have.  That is 26.  I am also taking 50 plastic flip over tops Don bought from someone.  I have a big box of those giant flip overs with handles.  Seems like I counted 57.  There is another good size box with over a dozen big pump tops.  I have an assortment of other tops also for her.  I am getting anxious about leaving after church on Sunday.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2022, 01:41:36 PM »

I am enjoying lunch in downtown Burlington.  We are eating at a coffee house that used to be where the top museum was located.  I love this downtown.  I stayed at the Hampton last night which is only a couple blocks from the top museum and met Judith at 10am this morning.  Three and a half hours flew by and I was shocked to see the time on the clock.  I unloaded the flip overs, the pump tops and a box of assorted other spinning items (like coasters, lug nut covers, 3D tops and a box of Captain Crunch cereal).  She seeemed especially excited about the gyroscopes!!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 11:44:42 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2022, 08:28:18 PM »

I asked Judith about some famous people who have been in her establishment.  She says Don Olney was in her first place.  Ed Levin was in her second location.  Mark Hayward has been in the current building.  So also was Marcus, our Texture.  She believes the comic Stephen Wright was in this past December, although he denied it several times.  She wishes she had a list of all the big names who have visited.  I asked her to think about it.

I am also interested in famous people she has met.  She had a good conversation with the Smothers Brothers.  Tipper Gore is also someone she spent some time with.  Articles about her with her picture have been in a number of publications.  I know she has met a lot of people.  She said she would think about it.

Here I am singing “Happiness Runs In a Circular Motion” in front of her place.  I also sang “I’m a Regular Spinning Top” for Jim in Paris!!!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 11:24:39 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2022, 09:52:50 AM »

What a great photo of you, Mike! Love it!

Did you discuss the possibility of having an ITSA event (e.g. nationals) at the museum next year?