iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down

Author Topic: Worlds Largest Spin Top record attempt  (Read 46319 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Worlds Largest Spin Top record attempt
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »

This is such an amazing story!  The more details the better it gets!

We need a couple of these pictures for the photo contest.  Maybe somebody can nominate the best two from Facebook.

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »

Thanks ta0 for getting the video on u-tube!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

yollector

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »

Wholey Moley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2012, 01:02:59 AM »

has anyone done any calculations on how much distance would've been travelled if it'd been rolling on it's side instead of spinning? someone said something like 100rpms in the first thirty seconds? what's the perimeter of it?
or am i asking something that's already been covered and i missed it?
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2012, 01:56:11 AM »

weight: 450 kilograms (992 lbs)

dimensions of top are: circumference 37' 5", Diameter 11' 11" (3.63M) and Height 12' 8.75" (3.88M)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »

has anyone done any calculations on how much distance would've been travelled if it'd been rolling on it's side instead of spinning?
Good safety question, daveid!

I timed 20 turns in 12 seconds, what confirms the 100 RPM that Don got.
With a circumference of 11.3 m, that gives a rim speed of 67.5 km/hr or 42.2 miles/hr.  So it could potentially roll pretty fast!!
Of course, if you are watching from the opposite side from Joe, you should be safe   >:D ;D ;D

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »

Love it!  Does this mean that if I got the top up to 1,000 rpm it would be going 420 mph rim speed? Crazy!  Does this also mean that with the right launch, the rim could break the sound barrier?  Not that I would try anything crazy like that, of course.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2012, 12:59:36 AM »

Well, at 100 RPM the material at the rim is already experiencing a centripetal acceleration of 64G. It increases as the square of the RPMs, so well before 1000 RPMs it will disintegrate throwing pieces in all directions!  :o The public will not be safe, even if standing opposite to you!  :P   

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »

Wow!

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »

Yes, all is well, thanks. Had first day with no pain meds yesterday and it went fine, didn't sleep as much but made up for it this morning! Walked 3K and did some chores too yesterday morning, nice to feel the stiffness in the muscles today! Did a little juggling to check my eye-hand coordination. Might do my first tops show since the accident today or tomorrow.

Yes, it's official, the Boss has approved a tops show for tomorrow after lunch (Thursday March 22). We will have about 300 guests from 6 different groups so it is an opportune moment!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2012, 02:31:34 PM »

I am very happy to hear that you are doing well!

Is the Boss, THE Boss?  ;)

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »

So glad Joe is doing great and back at the Top Spinning ministry.  Go Joe. :D :D
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2012, 02:24:50 AM »

Yes, THE Boss was not sure if I was fully up to it.  We were both right.  Was able to get through the 45 min tops show. Had a few technical errors but got it done.  Seem to not be picking things up as quickly visually.  Guess I better do some more juggling! We are both happy with getting back to the show but obviously I am not 100% yet.

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2012, 06:04:18 AM »

Second top show 13 days after accident, Friday, March 23, 2012

Yesterday's show had 5 technical mistakes involving three different tops.  I also felt a bit faint in the middle of the presentation.  It seems that yesterday I started out at an upbeat pace like always, like nothing had happened. Wore me out quick.

Today I started more slowly and deliberately, and with better pacing did not feel faint at all, didn't feel strong but didn't feel faint either.  Show went well with only two technical errors involving only one top, double trouble of course, but I successfully caught both tops on the third try, much to my relief, and the audience's too!  So a much better outing and then slept for two hours afterwards. 

No more shows until end of next week so can get a good resting stage in before trying aqain.  These two shows gave a good assessment of my condition, between the shows and assessing my juggling ability, it seems I am operating at about 70% of normal.  Thanks for all the prayers as we work back to full recovery.  Stitches are due to be removed next Friday, March 30th along with a medical re-assesment.  Also the video documentary producer will be interviewing the neurosurgeon at that time.

Had a great visit yesterday from my youngest Bible Institute student in Australia in 1976, Jeff Jack.  He came with his two grown sons to visit missionaries here in the Philippines.  He pastored in Alabama for 12 years and is now back n Australia.  Learned tops from me back then and still does tops shows so was glad they could see my first performance since the accident.  Great catching up with him and meeting his boys.

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »

Instead of Thurs-Fri March 22-23rd being my only tops shows scheduled since the accident, I ended up doing two more shows on Sat and Sun 24-25th.  Was glad I did as the last one felt like old times again.  Did not have the weariness during the show I had been feeling, no verbal or technical slips so was really happy to be back in the flow.  Have had one more this week, which also felt great, and one is on tomorrow morning.  We are starting our Philippine summer (April-May) so will be super busy with constant groups coming in and out.

Today, Fri March 30, had the stitches removed.  Our video documentary crew came out here to our site first and interviewed me first time since the accident.  Also showed me a preliminary edit they did of the day, talk about bringing out some memories!  They had me do some commentary on that.  Then they went in with me to the neurosurgeon and interviewed him.

Learned something new during that interview, the surgeon explained the major veins in the head.  Two are in the back of the head.  One was 1 cm below the point of impact and the other was 1.5 cm to the left of the impact.  Any variation of the impact down or to the left and I would have most likely bled to death on the spot.  I knew there was a miraculous aftermath to a bad situation but quite sobering to hear the original danger stated so plainly.  Freaked out my wife too when I got home and told her what he said.  Whether it is called a lucky break or an example of the amazing grace of God, I am happy to be writing this post to you today!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up