iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trans-national top spinning on the Rio Grande/Bravo  (Read 5891 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Trans-national top spinning on the Rio Grande/Bravo
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »

The contact I made at Jugglefest with the executive director of the Big River foundation is panning out very fast.  I am already committed to demo tops at a fair ("Farmers Market") in the border town of Laredo the third Saturday of April. This will also include a physics demo class with/at "Imaginarium South Texas."  And we are looking at the possibility of bringing to the river (literally) some Mexican top player as a rehearsal for the big event the third week of October. 

The Laredos Rio Fest is an annual festival that has included a floating stage in the middle of the Rio Grande (Rio Bravo to Mexicans) with the public on each shore.  Because of the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, the river is free for both nationalities and we can perform together with no visa requirements. We could do something like the "US - Mexico Trompo Challenge"  >:D  There is city money to change the bad image of the border and it would be promoted well.  The combined population between the twin cities of Laredo and Nuevo Laredo (on the Mexican side) is 1 million, so there should be good attendance.  And with the stage in the middle of the river they are sure they can get interest from the national media.

Who would be interested in participating in something like this?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:32:41 AM by ta0 »

Muzico

• Gold Member
Re: Trans-national top spinning on the Rio Grande/Bravo
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »

It's fantastic!
I would like to participate ... but I cannot

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »

that's one great opportunity !!

I really hope many top players will support the project

the third week of October.  : just 2 weeks after Chico !

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »

The Laredos Rio Fest is an annual festival that has included a floating stage in the middle of the Rio Grande

This reminded me of your little fishing adventure in Paris with Jim.  We'd hate to see Figaro floating down the river so you'd better have a good net ready. :D

I couldn't find the original post about this so it may have been on the old and apparently defunct topspinning.com board.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »

I guess I could probably help out.  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:45:32 PM »

Great!  I was counting you would volunteer!  ;)  This will be fun.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »

John
thanx for posting this video shot/edited by me , myself and I
: i had not seen it for a long time!
the travelling with Jorge walking around the pool after the rescued top ,totally looks like a rehearsed movie scene...and the fixtip routine in the park gets high scores...the sequence at the juggling festival is a true classic and the music by King Crimson really fits ;) ;) ;)

good document!

jim

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »

Sounds exciting!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »

In an hour I leave for Laredo. This trip is a preparation for the big event in October.  Saturday I will be doing an exhibition at the Farmer's Market in the morning, the Earth Day festival in the afternoon, and perhaps the Imaginarium later in the day. 

I will check the river to see where the stage would be for the trans-national festival.  There will probably be some media interview.  Tops are getting some exposure! (I hope good  ::) )

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 11:00:28 AM »

I am back from Laredo after sleeping 13 hours straight. In Laredo I stayed at the house a juggler (Kaj, the guy behind Simplistics juggling) who organized a welcome party for me, so I did not get much rest over there. I did two informal exhibitions on the grass at the Farmer's Market and then one on stage at the Laredo Civic Center for the Earth Day celebration. I performed right after the mayor Earth Day proclamation and before an all-in-red Elvis Presley did his gyrations :D  I had few drops and the public was really interested so they went very well.

These are girl scouts after one of the Market shows, trying to figure out how gyro flop works:

I must have been putting tops on the hands of kids for 20 minutes after the show (until I had to let Elvis get on stage). Among the public at the civic center there were a group of blind people.  They wanted to feel the tops. On the picture you can see one of the girls with the blue Giulia on her hand. The man with the hat, who is completely blind, is winding a top.  He told me he used to play as a kid in Mexico. He tried a few times to throw a couple of my tops but they landed on the side.  But then he asked me throw the 4 inch Watts on the ground because he wanted to scoop it. I guided his hand until he touched the top and, lo and behold, he scooped it without problem and raised it over his head still spinning! He even wanted to spin it on his head but I told him it would be dangerous.

I did not have the opportunity to get on the river, but I looked where a stage could be placed.  At least on that section of the river, it does not look either Grande nor Bravo. It is more like Chico y Manso  :P  With a stage in the middle of the river there would not be any problem for public on either side to watch a show.  I don't think they would do that just for us, top spinners, but they are trying to get some big name bands.  In that case we could use the stage earlier . . .

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »

Glad it went well.  I enjoyed the pictures and the interesting stories about the blind group.