iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: for the wood turner looking for alternative skill toy  (Read 2511 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
for the wood turner looking for alternative skill toy
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »

Bored making tops?--I doubt it but if you have some wood that you suspect may not make a well balanced top, you may get some ideas from the variety of these peg-catch (like ball in cup or the combined kendama) toys this guy demonstrates.

El Emperador del Emboque

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: for the wood turner looking for alternative skill toy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:51:41 PM »

Very nice! Jorge Araya is from Chile and has been doing this basically alone. He talks about his dream of popularizing the play of "emboque" (known in other countries Spanish-speaking countries as balero), how it is good for kids to develop motor skills and how it makes him feel young.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:54:07 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:38 PM »

This is ironic.  This weekend I drove 3 1/2 hours to see my step-daughter swim at the MAC (Mid American Conference) championships in Akron.  The meet was three days long and it was way too much sitting for me.  The best part of the trip was during breaks there was a guy from Buffalo who practiced his purple kendama in the hallway.  I haven't seen anyone do kendama in years.....maybe never outside of a juggling/yo-yo fest.  I didn't have one with me or it might have been fun to join in.  He was pretty good and could have given me some tips.

Now you have this one of a kind "ball in a cup" thread with amazing pictures.  I find it all quite ironic!

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »

I didn't have one with me or it might have been fun to join in.  He was pretty good and could have given me some tips.

Did he appreciate your skills with the spintop?  I know that you as the Earl of Whirl, Ambassador from TopLand, would not be caught (or at least confess to being) out in public a second time without a top.