iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Philippe Dyon: wood turning, art and life philosophy  (Read 4149 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Philippe Dyon: wood turning, art and life philosophy
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »

I wasn't sure if I should post this under modding or not-spintop related.  In this 18 minute video Philippe explains his anti-materialistic philosophy of "life art". You need to be pretty fluent in French to be able to follow him (and still . . .). But there are many clips of him turning tops (and a lamp shade) as well as clips from his "history of turning" show, some of his tops and artistic turnings. Something he shows and I had forgotten is how he burns the tip of the tops and then removes the charred wood to leave a stronger wood below (wood heat treatment!).

By the way, when I visited him two years ago I did not see his show: I hadn't realized his talent for acting!

Philippe Dyon, Penseur sur bois:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:51:46 AM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Philippe Dyon: wood turning, art and life philosophy
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:42:15 AM »

You need to be pretty fluent in French to be able to follow him (and still . . .).

yeah i agree with that ..................

but  it's a great document
and i'm sure Alan ,Eric ,Richie and other seasoned turners will really enjoy
Philippe's manipulation of the gouge

"penseur sur bois" whatever it means, is a pretty strong neologism ;)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »

penseur sur bois...........thinker of wood!  Very good.  I got the wood part but I had to look up penseur.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »

I noticed a little change in Philippe. He is now more willing to put his full name and face out there.  He is also willing to show his art pieces (he asked me not to photograph them when I stayed at his place).  Although he still thinks that there is art in what everybody does in daily life, he now says that to be an Artist you need to display your creations to the public.

Hopefully, Chris will be able to meet him, as well as Pulp and Maurizio . . . By the way, there will probably be INEPTT news soon :-X

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »

dear Jorge

i got Phil on the phone : i congratulated him for the document , the editing which provides a good balance between his "speech" and other shots from his show about the story of woodturning
you find him good as an actor : on the contrary i criticized him( in a friendly way ) a lot when I saw him 1st time in 2006, since then he has improved a lot , shortening some scenes, over-playing others like the robot part
now he has done this same show for over 130 times, he knows what he is doing : he even (still) tells people why they should not record or take any photo , but in a much less directive way

he now says that to be an Artist you need to display your creations to the public.

you 're really sharp on that point , because i also noticed since last year that's a turn in his vision of art : i 'm sure he feel so much more confident with his beliefs that it gives him the ferment to be all the more open to his fellows

i wish i had time to translate his message into english
if i dare do it ... not before christmas break in ajaccio , starting dec 18th to 30th

cheers!
jim  ( who connected this great character to the world of top spinning) ;) ;)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:34:54 AM »

Jim......you don't have to do all the translation at once.  In fact, it might be too much for me all at once.  Just give me a couple sentences here and there so I can contemplate on his thoughts!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:07:47 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 09:54:02 AM »

A new professional-made video of Philippe and his life philosophy. The spinning top part starts around 6:00.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 02:53:45 PM »

I hadn't seen this video from 2016 but it's great:

I'm so glad to have the long ball top made (and invented, I believe) by Philippe.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 06:52:24 PM »

That was the most mesmerizing top video I've ever seen!  :o :o I wish I knew French. The top he put on his finger and flipped over was great! Was he increasing the spin by blowing into it?

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 08:39:50 PM »

Wish I could understand the French in these videos. Fortunately, Didier's tops speak for themselves, and I love what they have to say.

Curious, though, about Didier's philosophy and why there's a professional video about it? Has he become a famous artist?

I ask because no one's making videos about my philosophy, and I'd like to know how to remedy that. >:D
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 12:56:18 AM »

The top he put on his finger and flipped over was great! Was he increasing the spin by blowing into it?
Yes, he was blowing to give it more spin.

Curious, though, about Didier's philosophy and why there's a professional video about it? Has he become a famous artist?
You mixed up the names. Didier Malherbe is the musician who plays music using tops.
This is Philippe Dyon, a spinning top wood turner (former mechanical engineer) who lives in Bourgogne. He tries to live a simple life in tune with nature while making art using wood.

At the beginning of the video he shows a rattleback top and makes up the story that it's attracted by colored objects  :D

He has many other unusual finger tops, most that he developed himself.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 01:08:21 PM »

hi all
Philippe is a character ! when i found him in 2005, it was a blast !

"why there's a professional video about it? Has he become a famous artist?"
no, not at all , and like you i'm a bit surprised when I watched this high tech vid with drone shots at the start  and this new age ambiance(..)
but the content remains the same since Philippe 's  first book "tous artistes" where he explains the connection between art and artwork ....
we 've had loong talks along the years and although we agree on many points , i 've always blamed him for his lack of political involvement ;) ;)

I'll give him a call soon

jim

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »

You mixed up the names....
He has many other unusual finger tops, most that he developed himself.

Yes, meant Philippe.

That's what I love about Philippe's designs -- many are very much outside-the-box for tops turned from wood. Especially like the ones with loose rings around the stems. Never cease to be amazed at the capacity some tops with freely moving parts have for self-balancing at speed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:59:36 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 01:58:32 PM »

"why there's a professional video about it? Has he become a famous artist?"
no, not at all , and like you i'm a bit surprised when I watched this high tech vid with drone shots at the start  and this new age ambiance(..)

A vanity video he paid for himself? Or maybe a marketing video for his next book?

Anyway, now I'm trying to pin down my philosophy for a video of my own. So far, I know it involves burritos and the celebration of complexity -- especially in things (like tops) that seem pretty simple until you start peeling back the layers.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:05:43 PM by Jeremy McCreary »