iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vortex Dome  (Read 1662 times)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Vortex Dome
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 02:22:03 PM »

Thank you Jeremy and ta0 for the research you did and for the valuable results you came up with. That puts some pressure on me though as to soon present something I made from that.....  I guess that is a good thing.
It is not a big secret, since I said "magnetohydrodynamic" it is probably obvious to you that eventually I want to make something like that table where also some  electrodes are incorporated that can be moved from the outside and some strong magnets that provide the magnetic field to achieve the effect. If it is mica the stuff should not interact itself directly to too a large an extend with the magnetic or electric field.

EDIT: Something in principle like this but the rheoscopic fluid should replace the pepper.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:32:00 PM by ortwin »

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 05:49:09 AM »

In the meantime I prepared my rheoscopic fluid.
The receipt in that article that Jeremy pointed me to, works great and is so simple. One part shaving cream from a can and 20 parts (by weight) of water.
Even without food coloring it looks great in the bottle!

Another idea what to do with the stuff, is to make a base for endurance tops!
You know it can be very boring to watch those tops: The first two minutes after the start,  when there is still something happening (precession, dance...)are fine. Also the last few minutes when you hope it will get past a certain time mark. But those ten (or hopefully soon more) minutes in between are plain boring!If one would have something like that vortex dome to play with while time passes that would be great. I am thinking of two concave glasses inside each other, the sealing as a spacer of about 3mm. The space in between filled with the rheoscopic fluid. Some pieces of ferromagnetic material also inside to allow for "magnetic play".

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 11:34:35 AM by ortwin »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 08:58:53 AM »

Good to know that the shaving cream works. Bought the cream and am now scheming to do some tank experiments with tops that I won't mind cleaning up afterward.

Looking forward to seeing your rheoscopic top base. Since you'll be adding magnetic particles, might be interesting to see if you can also get a (non-endurance) top with magnets to stir the fluid as it spins. I realize that any coupling between the top and the fluid will add yet another resistance, so this would have to be an alternative way to play with the base.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 09:10:28 AM »

..., might be interesting to see if you can also get a (non-endurance) top with magnets to stir the fluid as it spins.
Very good idea, I will try!

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 05:34:25 AM »

Beta version of the "Rheoscopic Base" (speaking about quick and dirty)
https://youtu.be/H_2CjRNV16w

Possible improvements:

- add food coloring to the fluid
- use glue instead of the clamps

@Jeremy: Your idea with the magnet in the top to stir the fluid did not work well up to now. It only couples and stirs when directly under the top, which means the effect of the stirring is hardly visible since this top does not travel a lot. Maybe I should try a LEGO top with that "traveling tip" added.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 06:28:01 AM »

Very promising!

If I were giving out Nobel Prizes, the inventors of Swiss Army knives, Velcro, binder clips, burritos, and "Yes, dear" would all have them -- the last for the Peace Prize.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 06:36:27 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 09:38:26 AM »

Placing that base on top of a  cup of hot water, makes a nice display of convection cells. 

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 11:12:30 AM »

Wow! Definitely trying that with mine.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »

Very nice! Perhaps one day I build one. But my dream has always being to build a cloud chamber (cosmic ray detector). Perhaps I could combine the two  ???