iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: OWB question  (Read 3521 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
OWB question
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »

so my OWB STB tips just arrived and since ive never had one before i figured id better ask before i install one: is there anything i should be careful of or look out for or just generally be aware of about these tips? o gawd im so excited been waiting to get one of these for so long  ;D behold the epicness @-@

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: OWB question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »

Wow! Three owb tips! Nice!
I see that you got the washers to convert them for fixed tip play.
Did you get the adapters for the inner diameter of the inside regular bearing?

My advice is that you don't tighten completely the nut. Leave a little play or it will freeze the owb.
Also, if you don't have the S8 tool but you have a washer small enough (at one point the tip came with one) put it temporarily between the outside bearing and the owb to push it a little further in, and then remove it.
I am sure you can figure out in which direction to install the owb for right handed play  ;)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »

Wow! Three owb tips! Nice!
I see that you got the washers to convert them for fixed tip play.
Did you get the adapters for the inner diameter of the inside regular bearing?

My advice is that you don't tighten completely the nut. Leave a little play or it will freeze the owb.
Also, if you don't have the S8 tool but you have a washer small enough (at one point the tip came with one) put it temporarily between the outside bearing and the owb to push it a little further in, and then remove it.
I am sure you can figure out in which direction to install the owb for right handed play  ;)

thanks so much for the advice ta0  ;) but what is the adapter? all i got is what was in that pic  :-[ can i make this work without it?

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 06:39:57 PM »

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! just got it installed and good grief this thing is a totally different top now @-@ im serious i cant understand how adding a OWB in there instead of the spacer could possibly make a top act so differently! good grief man i just did a 3 wrap corkscrew almost immediately after a snapstart! if ud a told me that id be able to do that with this bearing yesterday id a said "no sir u are exaggerating" @-@
also heres something interesting: look at what i found when i took the stock tip out of my stb 2.0

didnt know they came stock with the compatible tip  :o anyway long story short im amazed and tickled to death with my new tool  ;D also every man woman and child should have one @-@ 
oh also: i put bot the nylon and metal washers in so i dont lose the nylon one  ::) but the metal washer is slipping around and chattering while the top spins is that a problem? i cant see it could damage anything but maybe the threads long term eh? it is properly tightened to the right pressure but still the slippy slidey  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:46:57 AM by Jack »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »

Note: I was writing this when Neff posted his excellent video above.

thanks so much for the advice ta0  ;) but what is the adapter? all i got is what was in that pic  :-[ can i make this work without it?

As you already had an owb-ready tip, probably the inner bearing had an adapter (a little tube inside with one side flared).  The first owb tips came without the adapter and you could still play, but it is needed for the inner bearing to really do its thing.

didn't know they came stock with the compatible tip 
I guess you missed Sabaspin's similar finding: link

oh also: i put bot the nylon and metal washers in so i dont lose the nylon one  ::) but the metal washer is slipping around and chattering while the top spins is that a problem? i cant see it could damage anything but maybe the threads long term eh? it is properly tightened to the right pressure but still the slippy slidey  ;D
For bearing play you don't use the washers.

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:04:36 PM »

Be careful when you have the owb off the tip, one of mine had one of it's little rollers fall out, I was able to put it back in but it's a little loose in it's slot when off the tip and has fallen out other times... still works like a dream.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 12:03:03 AM »

Note: I was writing this when Neff posted his excellent video above.

As you already had an owb-ready tip, probably the inner bearing had an adapter (a little tube inside with one side flared).  The first owb tips came without the adapter and you could still play, but it is needed for the inner bearing to really do its thing.

didn't know they came stock with the compatible tip 
I guess you missed Sabaspin's similar finding: link

For bearing play you don't use the washers.

OWB info starts at 3:30

Be careful when you have the owb off the tip, one of mine had one of it's little rollers fall out, I was able to put it back in but it's a little loose in it's slot when off the tip and has fallen out other times... still works like a dream.

gentlemen as always your help is invaluable and much appreciated  ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:13:26 AM by ta0 »