iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Finalist selected. Winners announced live by Zoom and Youtube Saturday.

Author Topic: Diabolo Ladder Help  (Read 7571 times)

John Buechele

• Gold Member
Diabolo Ladder Help
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »

So in addition to all the top spinning I do, I have recently been spending a lot of time playing the Diabolo. I have been working on the tricks in the World Contest Ladder but I have reached a point where I need some help. I have no idea how Alan's Trick or Kyocide are done, or what they look like. I figured maybe someone here might have some more information about these tricks. Also if anyone has any advice on 2 diabolo shuffling that would be helpful, especially on how to correct them when the start to tilt. Thanks.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Diabolo Ladder Help
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »

John, I heartily endorse a site my buddy runs.  He's compiled the best diabolo site around.  I'm sure you'll be able to find what you need.  If not, please email him (Jim B.) with your questions.

http://diabolotricks.com/

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »

I have no idea how Alan's Trick or Kyocide are done
Those two may not be on the site recommended by Rick, but the people after whom those tricks were named are on this forum . . .  8)

John Buechele

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »

Lincolnrick I have been using that site a lot and I do think that it is the most complete and helpful Diabolo site on the internet. And ta0 I am kind of hoping to subtly ask for help from the creators of said tricks. I just don't want to be too pushy ;)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »

I do love diabolotricks.com 

lincolnrick, how do you know the guy who runs that website?

Mr. Buechele sir, have you seen the two diabolo part of that site?  I'm sure you have but I thought I would make sure.

There are some obscure videos I have found on google about kyocide.  They look pretty crazy to me.

Oh, and I just found Alan's trick on google.  I put in "diabolo alan's trick" and found kyo doing it!!!

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »

I do love diabolotricks.com 

lincolnrick, how do you know the guy who runs that website?

Jim is a great friend of mine.  He and I are among the founding members of the Lincoln City Jugglers.  He's a top spinner with 2 Watts tops, both won at juggling festival raffles! But he's a great diaboloist and club passer.  If you're a club passing juggler and have heard of Jim's Jam, Jim's 3-count, Jim's whatever, that was Jim that figured out that move.  So he's infamous!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »

Jim is a great friend of mine.  He and I are among the founding members of the Lincoln City Jugglers.  He's a top spinner with 2 Watts tops, both won at juggling festival raffles!
Was he at Flatland this year?  ??? How come I did not get his photo with Figaro?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »

Wow!  Glad to hear all this about Jim.  He is another reason why I need to go to Flatland.

By the way, what is his last name.  I am sure I have met him at some IJA fests.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:32 PM »

Ta0, Jim was indeed at Flatland this year.  His spinning abilities at the time weren't up to a Figaro session, but he's getting better.

Mike, Jim and I always hit the festivals, so there's a good chance you two did meet.  Jim Brennan.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »

When I saw the question to start, my thought was to recommend Jim's diabolo site.  Rick, you beat me to it.  Jim is a very excellent diabolo player and a great guy. ;D ;D ;D
Also glad to hear he got the Watts' Top at Flatlands.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 07:30:30 PM »

If you need further help on kyocide, let me know.

Alan's trick I expect to be removed from the trick list next year. If you want to learn it anyway, http://youtu.be/AnPCQPSqU-E is the video for anybody who hasn't found it yet.

Kyle

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 08:12:28 PM »

Alan's trick will be gone?  Hmm.  Interesting.

Kyocide is where we are.  Yes, the Earl and Mr. Uniquely need help.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 09:44:55 PM »

After a long long long time in my bag, Mr. Diabolo came out for a visit.  He seemed happy to get some fresh air.  I was happy to see him whirl around and fly high in the air.  I really missed that guy.

This all got me to thinking about a few things.  Does anyone know why there wasn't any diabolo throwing at worlds in Prague?  Maybe there was some and I missed it.  Does anyone know if there will be some diabolo in Tokyo?  They sure have a lot of good throwers from that country so it would be a shame not to feature it in some way.

I forgot what tricks constituted the ladder so I looked that up on the internet.  I also saw a few other things about the diabolo including the placers at worlds competitions.  I remember, quite fondly, that in 2011 I placed third in the freestyles (ok ok......so there were only three competitors......it still counts).  On the world championships site there are nothing but question marks for that year!!!  Who do I talk to about getting my rightful place in this not so right category (did I already mention there were only three competitors).  In an attempt to take this out of the NSTR category, I would like to point out that my whole routine was done with a monobolo.

Does anyone know Uri Gottschalk (Gotschalk or Gottshalk-I have seen it spelled several different ways on the internet)?  I believe he was second that year.  I cannot remember who was first but it seems like we should be able to get that information from someone.  Do you remember any of this kyo? 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »

This all got me to thinking about a few things.  Does anyone know why there wasn't any diabolo throwing at worlds in Prague?  Maybe there was some and I missed it.  Does anyone know if there will be some diabolo in Tokyo?  They sure have a lot of good throwers from that country so it would be a shame not to feature it in some way.

Even at US nats 2013 there were no diabolos already. Stu was there but I guess he gave up. Or perhaps they figured out that the best diabolo players went to other events. I don't think there will be any in Tokyo: it is not in the list of contest divisions.

jim in paris

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 12:26:34 AM »

hello
in Europe,after the big wave of diabolo in the years 2000 , and the DVD Diabology,it has climbed down a bit
the very young players we saw at the Marines festival, all used bearing diabolos
here is an old vid of ryo yabe , he plays in new circus/music-halls now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFF1lQR1nk4

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"