iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Homemade Levitron  (Read 4325 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Homemade Levitron
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »

On the Trompos Space forum it was posted a link to this video from Colombia:

levitron casero.wmv

This homemade levitron (I am using the copyrighted term in a generic way on purpose) is much bigger (5 cm diameter) than the commercial version and it seems to have a larger zone where it is stable. Because of that and the apparent rough construction I first thought it could be a hoax, but after visiting his webpage I concluded that it is legit. He even has a video in which he floats 5 homemade levitrons at the same time.

The apparent extra stability of this homemade levitron reminds me a comment I read about the saga of its invention and how it was stolen by Fascinations (a company owned by physicists!) The original levitron invented by Roy Harrigan had circular magnets on the base, like the speaker magnets used by the Colombian tinkerer. When it was re-patented, to try to get around the previous patent, the magnets were made square and it was claimed as an improvement. Actually, this probably maked it less stable!

If there are people interested in actually making one, I will move the thread to modding.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:15:23 AM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
Re: Homemade Levitron
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:10:41 PM »

Great, thanks for posting, we've got rings magnets around temporaritly without a current use. ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »

You are on! I moved the thread to modding  ;D

Space

• Humanes,Madrid,Spain
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »

On the Trompos Space forum it was posted a link to this video from Colombia:

This homemade levitron (I am using the copyrighted term in a generic way on purpose) is much bigger (5 cm diameter) than the commercial version and it seems to have a larger zone where it is stable. Because of that and the apparent rough construction I first thought it could be a hoax, but after visiting his webpage I concluded that it is legit. He even has a video in which he floats 5 homemade levitrons at the same time.

The apparent extra stability of this homemade levitron reminds me a comment I read about the saga of its invention and how it was stolen by Fascinations (a company owned by physicists!) The original levitron invented by Roy Harrigan had circular magnets on the base, like the speaker magnets used by the Colombian tinkerer. When it was re-patented, to try to get around the previous patent, the magnets were made square and it was claimed as an improvement. Actually, this probably maked it less stable!

If there are people interested in actually making one, I will move the thread to modding.
It was I who published it in the trompos space tops Forum.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:23:46 PM by ta0 »
Greetings friends of spin top.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »

Another video on how to make a homemade levitron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RbsCiorwzI