iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: upside down boomerang  (Read 7312 times)

SoCal topspin7

upside down boomerang
« on: October 14, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »

Does anyone know how to do it? Or have a youtube link? Thank you
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:56:59 PM by SoCal topspin7 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: upside down boomerang
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »

I promised to put up something a few weeks ago.  Tonight after I post my "too late entry" to the finger top contest I'll try to write an explanation and post a picture of how I hold the top. But it ain't an easy trick . . .

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »

I have curiosity, I understand that trick is. ???

SoCal topspin7

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »

Thank you, it doesnt look easy but im willing to try

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 01:28:11 AM »

There is the UD boomerang by itself and then there is the UD boomerang to a UD lasso.  The first one is much easier but it is only useful with specific tops, such as double tip tops in which you can throw it so it lands spinning with the upper tip on the hand (I do it in the S8 video). There is one neat trick that you can do with an open top such as a Hollow Point: you catch the top on something like a pencil. I called that trick Pencil Sharpener and did in my worlds 2004 freestyle (you can see it in the Over the Top video). But with a normal top coming at you upside down you have to be able to do a UD lasso and that it is much more difficult.

The way I throw UD is very weird (Jon Gate's words). But it works for me and as far as I know I am the only one doing UD boomerang and UD boomerang to UD lasso.  I created the throw with a Spintastics Sidewinder, but it has worked for me for every regular size top that I have tried, from the BK to the Giulia, from the Topdog to the Trompo Grande.  I have always suspected that there must be a more "natural" way of doing it, but until somebody else starts doing UD boomerangs using a different throw, I'll stick with mine.

I use the normal wrap and the normal string length. What I do differently is how I grab the top.  I hold it horizontally, palm up, but with the string coming on the opposite side of the hand:

This means the top doesn't just roll of the hand but it grinds out (it helps to hold the top close to the finger tips). The tip of the top points to your non-throwing hand.

The throw consists of two very distinct parts.  1) You want to launch the top very smoothly on the way out.  The hand is below, so it is a bowling-type throw. 2) At the end of the string you jerk it to come back. 
You can tell what part you are messing this way: If it comes standing up instead of UD, you threw too hard. If it comes horizontally, you did not jerk at the end of the string.

I try to get my tops to come back as straight as possible. A little slant of the crown towards you is ok, it doesn't mess up the landing or the lasso.

Practice with a double tip top. After you get it down you can try to UD lasso it, but that is a whole different ball game.

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 03:42:25 PM »

Thank's Ta0!!!  ;) It's a great explanation. Finally I've got few successful attemps  :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »

Thank's Ta0!!!  ;) It's a great explanation. Finally I've got few successful attemps  :)
Wonderful! I was betting you would be the first to do it!  ;)

SoCal topspin7

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »

Did it once but missed th
e lasso gonna practice later

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 06:10:49 PM »

I just need to get the top a bit more upright to keep my one handed lasso on the string.  I've connected the string to the tip a number of times but since the top is not quite upright enough it won't take the string far enough.  I notice that if I jerk back too hard, the top just unwinds on the floor.  Perhaps a lighter top will give me the extra loft i need.

bAd

• Gold Member
  • You spin my head right round, right round...
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »

Niiiiice! It works!! I still can't do anything with the top in UD except UD crazy 8, and then straightening it, but this is a much cooler start for UD tricks...

Thanks Ta0!  ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »

Well, this is cool because for the last 7 or 8 years I have been the only one doing UD boomerang!  But, if you are already successfully UD lassoing it out of the boomerang, I'll be very surprised (except for Hroch who is an expert with UD stuff) as it took me a long time to get any consistency on that!
Rock on!  8)

bAd

• Gold Member
  • You spin my head right round, right round...
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 04:02:24 AM »

Lol, consistency is a totally different matter.... I was able to do it once or twice out of all the times I've tried, but I'm still pretty satisfied! :)
Actually what I'm having the most trouble with is understanding the right revolution speed once the top is UD, to prevent it from straightening... Not just after the UD boomerang, but in any UD trick.

Hopefully I'll equip myself with filming gear soon, and then I'll be able to ask for advice on what I'm doing wrong!  ;D

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »

;D I don't think I'm expert with something... But now I like UD boomerang very much, so I'm thinking about variations like under the leg throw or behind the back catch...just idea

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »

;D I don't think I'm expert with something... But now I like UD boomerang very much, so I'm thinking about variations like under the leg throw or behind the back catch...just idea
:o I have not even tried those!

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 03:05:09 AM »

Is there any video? I do not quite understand, is about making a boomerang and the tip back up?
(I have to learn languages)
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up