iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SirBoot32  (Read 5095 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
SirBoot32
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »

The latest member of the board, SirBoot32 (Justin), visited me today. He is a grad student here in San Antonio and has been playing tops for a few months.  He is for real: he has already learned quite a bit by himself just by watching videos and he is now trying to learn regens. I may finally have somebody else in town to play tops with!  ;D

It seems he has been doing a lot of reading of past posts in the forum (but did not realize I was in town until recently.) I hope he is not too shy to present himself  :P

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
Re: SirBoot32
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:09:50 PM »

Jorge, thanks for the introduction! I started playing tops in early August after I bought a Duncan Imperial from a toy store in downtown San Francisco. When I did a web search for basic tricks, I was blown away by the amount of awesome that could be had with a spin top. I was also quite impressed at the tricks that were being called basic. For the first week, I was too scared to look up intermediate or advanced tricks.

I feel very lucky to live in the same city as Jorge. He has a beautiful home, a welcoming and kind family, and more fantastic tops than I could ever hope to afford (he even trusts me to play with the good ones  ;D. Although, I think it will be a while before I am in the Figaro Club...something to aspire to). Watching how smoothly he completes tricks is inspiring. He is a fantastic teacher who in one afternoon taught me more than I had taught myself in two months.

I look forward to meeting all of you (if only virtually) soon.

justin.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »

You scared me for a minute, Justin.  I thought you were going to say that he let you play with Figaro on the first visit to his home.  I was about to get very mad, especially since I have known him for a number of years and he still will not let me play with Figaro (unless I steal him from the carrying bag without ta0's knowledge).

Glad you are with us, Justin.  I am happy for Jorge to have someone to share spinning tops with in the San Antonio area.  You guys could make a big splash down in that area, especially with their nice children's museum!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »

You were lucky Mike: for the first time in ages it rained in San Antonio, so we could not throw Figaro outside  :P

Justin: you have the potential of becoming a world class player in little time!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 02:26:46 AM »

I tossed that little nugget in there about the children's museum because there was a terrific list of great places to see science in the works in the USA Today recently.

Ahh.....here it is, I found a link:
http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/10great/story/2011-10-06/10-great-places-to-see-science-in-the-works/50682736/1

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »

I will be doing 2 shows at the Washington DC Science event they listed in the article.
Practice hard and play safe.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »

Welcome to a fantastic web site SirBoot32.  You are among the world's best top players.   :D :D :D :D
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »

You are among the world's best top players.

Yes indeed, WELCOME SirBoot32!  :) :) :)
Not only are you among the World's Best Top Players but, you are among the nicest folks you would ever want to meet!  8)
Good to have you with us!  ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »

After meeting him I am sure SirBoot will fit perfectly in this community!

Great list Mike! If I am in a new city and I have some time off I often look for a science museum, even if it is geared towards kids.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

I knew you would love the list.  Now you have another person to bounce........err, whirl ideas with.  Great having you with us SirBoot32!!!

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 12:37:27 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Mr. Watts, I recently sent you an email about buying my very own 4-incher. Do you have any for sale currently?

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 05:16:24 AM »

Welcome to the forum SirBoot32, how lucky to have so close to Mr. TA0 to learn to enjoy your stay here.

bAd

• Gold Member
  • You spin my head right round, right round...
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 06:34:01 AM »

Welcome to the forum!!  ;D

phrawg2001

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 03:34:42 PM »

SirBoot32,
  I do and your 4 inch classic Watts' Top was mailed this afternoon.  Hopefully it will get there soon. :-X :-X