iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interesting page with different types of spins  (Read 13042 times)

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
Interesting page with different types of spins
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:02:38 PM »

bAd

• Gold Member
  • You spin my head right round, right round...
Re: Interesting page with different types of spins
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »

Extremely interesting!
 :)

I'd like to print the image with all the tops and hang it as a poster...

Thanks for posting this, trompillo!

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »

Extremely interesting!
 :)

I'd like to print the image with all the tops and hang it as a poster...

Thanks for posting this, trompillo!
Mi piace la tua idea  ;D ;D ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 07:17:30 PM »

Thanks to the French government the old issues of La Nature are available online.  Here is the page from 1896 with the poster:
http://cnum.cnam.fr/CGI/fpage.cgi?4KY28.46/29/100/536/0/0
The wonderful article appeared one year later in Scientific American, identical except for the translation to English (I have that one.)  The picture was reproduced in both Gould's and Lourens' books.  I asked Cyril if he had all the tops in the picture and he said: Oui!

You can do a search of the online index for "toupie" and you can find articles for other scientific or curious tops from the late 1800s.  For example, the fountain top can be found here: http://cnum.cnam.fr/CGI/sresrech.cgi?4KY28.33/0164  Cyril showed me the real thing, but I believe Jim actually saw it working.  I had found articles for the other tops pictured in that linked page, except for the "fish tank top."  But I doubt it is really a true top (I'll try to find it). Talking about "water tops", I recently got one from the 1930s designed to spin on water, but it seems difficult to repair.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:13:26 PM by ta0 »

bAd

• Gold Member
  • You spin my head right round, right round...
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 07:28:20 PM »

A fountain top that actually sprinkles water is way cool!!

I must try to make one, using the article you linked for directions, Ta0!

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:23:54 PM »

I just printed it out on nice heavy card stock to go on the sides of my new top cart!  Thanks Ta0!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »

Good ideas! 

I must try to make one, using the article you linked for directions

Erratic Wobbler

trompillo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 03:59:40 AM »

Thanks to the French government the old issues of La Nature are available online.  Here is the page with the poster:
http://cnum.cnam.fr/CGI/fpage.cgi?4KY28.46/29/100/536/0/0
The wonderful article appeared one year later in Scientific American, identical except for the translation to English (I have that one.)  The picture was reproduced in both Gould's and Lourens' books.  I asked Cyril if he had all the tops in the picture and he said: Oui!

You can do a search of the online index for "toupie" and you can find articles for other scientific or curious tops from the late 1800s.  For example, the fountain top can be found here: http://cnum.cnam.fr/CGI/sresrech.cgi?4KY28.33/0164  Cyril showed me the real thing, but I believe Jim actually saw it working.  I had found articles for the other tops pictured in that linked page, except for the "fish tank top."  But I doubt it is really a true top (I'll try to find it). Talking about "water tops", I recently got one from the 1930s designed to spin on water, but it seems difficult to repair.
Ta0 thank you very much,unaware that La Nature was the magazine online.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »

I could not find the fish bowl top on La Nature, but I found a spinning toy with a similar optical illusion of a fish swimming in water.  On the drawing it seems that the spinning part is on a solid base, so it would not be a true spinning top.

While looking around that online database I found a catalog (Ducretet, 1905) with the Maxwell / Ptolemy top we had discussed before.  It is credited a certain M. G. Sire (as several other gyroscope-type instruments in the catalog) who wrote a 1862 monograph about instruments for the study of rotations. So now we may know the real inventor.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:18:11 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 12:06:08 PM »

thanx for the additional info

http://cnum.cnam.fr/CGI/fpage.cgi?4KY28.46/3/100/536/0/0
what a wonderful reading , on any topic ...

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Lourens

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »

First of all, Trompillo: thank you very much for the link. Not only the tops are very intersting bust the total article looks very intersting to me. Unfortunately I do not understand spanish to translate is and understand it proper.
I also like the discussion Ta0 started about the Fountain Tops and I want to add something to it:
The fountain Top from 'La Nature' was made by William Britain in the 1880's. See page 143 of my book. I tried to let it spin but my fountain only rised 2 feet. I think that had to do with the very old thong inside. In the same time he made the 'Waltzing Couple', he was the owner of the patent and the maker as well. An he also made 'the Boomerang Top', also showed at the page of Trompillo next to the picture of La Nature.
I sent this reply not only because I really love all these kind of tops but I want to share the American version of the Fountain Top. In the catalogue (1891) of 'The Weeden Manufacturing' (they made steam toys), at page 26 you can see the fountain top which 'plays a jet of water'. It sounds remarkable but as the advertisement says this jet will only rise 3 feet high!
I enclose two pictures. I do not know it it is the one made by W. Britain or that this company had its own patent! Did anyone ever see this top by Weeden?
Lourens.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 04:47:01 PM »

Ha, the boy on the drawing must be well under 3 feet tall  :D
I don't think even in the best working condition it would have shoot water very high: even with a modest fountain it will loose energy very fast.

No, I have not seen that American version.  It may just be Britain's and they are reselling it, but the "very cheap" sounds suspicious.