iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: labor day...  (Read 3218 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
labor day...
« on: September 05, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »

hi all , wishing you a lazy labor day

labor  from the latin verb laborare : travailler , to work !
today is my 31st year back to school as a teacher
no desk fright , a word of encouragement for the newcomers, the usual preacher talk to the students : take it easy but the hard way,5 tests in the trimester,late arrivals mean out,rock culture welcome in the class...yoyo/spintop demo due to take place for all saints vacation.....
(you know with the so-called social networks,every student knows in advance a bit about their future teachers)

well that's it
wish me good luck if you dare .... 8) ;D

jim
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:30:18 PM by jim in paris »
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: labor day...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:20:17 PM »

Thanks Jim. It is difficult to be lazy, but I am trying  . . .  ;)

If you are feeling lazy and have 10 minutes to kill, here is a video of the proposal to his girlfriend of somebody I know from the Austin juggling club (although it takes place in San Jose, California). The iPad use reminded me Taka's AP routine at worlds.  The cane juggler is also from the Austin club. And yes, those are The Vova and Olga.

Jessica and Nathan's Epic iPad Proposal
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:05:34 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »

That is a pretty serious proposal.  They should have lots of fun looking back at that over the years!

Here is what I did last year on Labor Day at the Holiday at Home parade.  Our little group is at the seven minute mark.  We didn't even have enough to have a banner carrier last year.  Ugh!
2010 Holiday@Home Parade Pt. 2

The good news is that we had more people this year AND a banner carrier.  It was a great day to ride in a parade (about a mile long but I have to go about two miles since I am going from side to side) and it was cooler.....not like two days ago when it was nearly 100.  This morning we were riding in 60 degree temperatures.  Ohio is so crazy.

I am getting closer to a personal goal.  This was my 17th ride in this parade.  I am dreaming of making it to 20 on my six foot unicycle.  We will see.  I didn't fall last year and didn't fall this year so all seems to be going ok right now.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »

Oh, and on this fifth of September (Labor Day) I just finished a glorious hour with Nimbus.  He's a good spinner.  I've had him for a few days but never really felt like we were close friends until today.  I put on some Billy Joel and gave Nimbus one good throw.  Sixty-one minutes later my wife is asking me to take her out for some ice cream.  Sorry Nimbus, you are tops in so many ways but you are number two to my wife.  You will have to go back into the box for now.

silvertop

• ITSA
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:39:05 AM »

Mike - I want a picture - and a video maybe? - of somebody spinning Nimbus.  All the pictures on the web page were of Nimbus just lying around!  Send him back after you send me a picture!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »

Oh, and on this fifth of September (Labor Day) I just finished a glorious hour with Nimbus.  He's a good spinner.  I've had him for a few days but never really felt like we were close friends until today.  I put on some Billy Joel and gave Nimbus one good throw.  Sixty-one minutes later my wife is asking me to take her out for some ice cream.  Sorry Nimbus, you are tops in so many ways but you are number two to my wife.  You will have to go back into the box for now.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:49:33 AM »

Mike couldn't decide if he wanted to take a spin or a roll, so he did both.  Heroic.
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »

Three years later, I can now say I made it through my 20th ride at the Holiday at Home parade on Labor Day.  It felt good.  I feel like 61 in the mornings when I get up but on the unicycle I don't feel that old.  My next goal is to make it 21 in a row next year.

With the weather cooling, I am back to working on riding backwards.  The record is 68 miles (in 24 hours).  I just set my personal best earlier this week by going two miles (and was pretty dead).  It took me three years to get to this point.  Maybe I can get three miles sometime this fall? 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:14:10 AM »

You are something else Mike! Congratulations!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 01:04:25 PM »

I am doing my little celebrating thing on this Labor Day 2016.  Whew....I am happy to report I made it through our Labor Day parade without a fall, although I certainly felt tired toward the finish.  Maybe I am getting close to the end of this run.  Still, I will smile today and worry about next year tomorrow.  22 of these parades on my six foot unicycle is easily a dozen more than I ever dreamed I could do.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 11:43:37 PM »

I am doing my little celebrating thing on this Labor Day 2016.  Whew....I am happy to report I made it through our Labor Day parade without a fall, although I certainly felt tired toward the finish.  Maybe I am getting close to the end of this run.  Still, I will smile today and worry about next year tomorrow.  22 of these parades on my six foot unicycle is easily a dozen more than I ever dreamed I could do.

Oh, my! I saw again that giraffe unicycle at your house. It is so tall!
You make me feel old! How do you do it I don't know. But, congratulations!

jmadrigal

• ITSA
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 07:02:38 AM »

Nice to see another unicycle rider here. I haven't riden a giraffe but have a 36"er. Good job!
I was at a chess tournament with my kids this Labor day. I bet a bishop could spin :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:06:01 AM by jmadrigal »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 07:34:01 AM »

Ha ha!  Especially some of those more squatty like chess pieces.  Now you will make me start looking for spinable chess pieces.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 03:50:46 PM »

It was cool yesterday and it will be cool tomorrow but today it was hot in the Dayton, Ohio suburb of Kettering.  Labor Day 2017 was another big day with a well attended and very supportive crowd at the Holiday at Home parade.  I did not train as well as I would have liked because of three weeks in Europe and Iceland, then all the catch up work since returning but I am thankful for a safe ride on my trusty six foot unicycle and less trusty legs.  This is my 23rd ride on that one wheeler and I am celebrating an effort without a fall.  Once again, I do not know how long I can keep this up but I will go into training tomorrow for number 24.  I cannot gloat, though.  I had several close calls with hidden bumps and dips in the road.  Whew!!!  I was lucky to ride out of them.  Some comments along the route included the typical "how do you get up there" and "how do you get down" but there were some new ones like "are you the same guy from last year" and "you go, gramps."

We received a lot of pre-parade publicity with a nice picture in the paper and one on a couple of websites.  Thank you Dayton Daily News and WHIO TV.  I think you can see the picture if you type in Google "5 reasons to stay put for Holiday at Home in Kettering, Ohio."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:59:27 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »

You really stand tall!

I don't know how you do it, but well done!

PS: Is that Dawn riding the high wheeler in the center?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:35:18 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 05:22:15 PM »

Well, this response may be one year late but......yes, that is Dawn in the center on a high wheel bike.  This shot is from a couple years ago but it showed up on the parade website and was in the paper twice this past week!!!  How nice to be a part of the pre-parade publicity.

Thanks so much for this thread which chronicles my last few rides in this big parade.  I made it through 24 and now will start training for number 25.  I hope I can make it as I will be 66.

By the way, hope everyone had a great Labor Day 2018.
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up