iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Don Macizo  (Read 5566 times)

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
Don Macizo
« on: September 07, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »

Excuse me by my bad data. Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKd0vN33coE

Check the starting method at 2:50 and the top in the pole of Sergei Bubcka at 5:45.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:42:14 PM by ta0 »
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Don Macizo
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:48:22 PM »

Thanks Pulp for making me watch again "Don Macizo."  What a great documentary! He says he created "between 35 and 43 ways to make a top spin" (I think that means "tricks".) I like for example when he says that his future wife fell backwards when he first kissed her . . . so he was "wise" . . . and ended up in church ::)

I had forgotten about the pole spinning. He says the longest one measures one meter and in fact he is afraid the top may fall on his face when it loses spin.

I didn't remember the start on the hand. I just tried it and as a result I got several string burns: ouch!  But I finally could do some good ones using a wood pegtop. It is important to wrap from the tip up to avoid friction from the string around the crown.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:51:00 PM by ta0 »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:31:46 PM »

Yes, thanks Pulp.  I love the way he quickly turns that top down like it was as routine as cutting a piece of bread.  Im jealous of the ability to summon a spin top of any design you can immagine from a chunk of humble wood.  I'd like to try it.  I'll leave the pole spinning to those more qualified...
Erratic Wobbler

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 08:52:12 PM »

Wonderful video of Sergei Bubcka.
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »

His name is Jorge Ribadeneira, from Quito, Ecuador and he was 74 yrs old at the time of the documentary. He was once "world champion."

Bubka may be the king of pole vaulting but Mike has vaulted higher while holding a top spinning  :o

========

Update: I did a search by his name +trompo and found many articles (in Spanish). In the site for Quito's office of tourism it says  that he won the "world contest" (organized by the town of Cochasquí, north of Quito) in 1995.

Several of the articles mention names of tricks he does, like "el bolígrafo", "la maravilla", el "teleférico", "baile en la uña", "nace bailando", "los quiños", "cascaritas", "baile en la terraza (cabeza)" I wonder if "teleférico" is the same one as the Colombian trick (what we are calling cable car).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:26:09 PM by ta0 »

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »

Good search Ta0. The top into the spoon is a interesting trick to offer to the kids. Easy and expectacular.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:28:16 AM by ta0 »

killswitch

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 05:37:48 AM »

could someone make subtitles for that video? sounds interesting :)

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:57:28 PM »

Sometimes ta0 and pulp are very busy. If they don`t do it, give a little of time, and one of these days I`ll seek some time to translate to you the entire video. And, please, killswitch, explain more clearly to me, that mattern of the meaning of top in your tongue (czechk, slovac, moravian?) that means in english "wolf"
That thing is interesting to me.

killswitch

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »

ok in slovakia we use slovak (not slovack) language, in czech there is czech language, moravia as a part of czech republic which uses rather a dialect of something between czech and slovak (sound bit like slovak). i speak mainly slovak but have no problems with czech language which is quite similar. that's for the language part :).

can't really tell from where that word (vlk = wolf) came from, but for me it sound stupid :). you cant really use the word as a verb. and you know the word is quite unknown. even for me. but then whole spintops i have first time recognized in movie Titanic, where there were kids playing on board.

here are couple vlk toys that make some sound that looks like spin tops :D

cant really tell from were this word came from. i would like to change for something better heh :)

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »

This is the first part: listen the video and read this text, so, you can enjoy the words of Don Macizo in the original language:

"bueno, mis manos, un cliente tuve yo, que me calculò el decir que el tener manos chicas, era una persona bien hàbil, pensando èl, ¿`pus no? dijo, esto es una habilidad, no le ¿pirlo?  ----understand you, ta0 and pulp. this word ?----- al maestro, y tambièn un extranjero, tambièn me dijo asì.."uste`ser muy hàbil, muy hàbil, tù hacer mis cosas muy buenas, muy buenas" (((when Don macizo say these words, he imitates the accent that one non native spanish speakers produces when speak spanish)))    ....Street Rocafuerte and Bolìvar....

Yo me llamo Jorge Ribadeneira Granda, nacido aquì en Quito, en el barrio de San Roque, tengo setenta y cuatro (74) años, aquì en el taller, por ejemplo, lo màs importante creo que yo ¿no? , por cuanto yo manejo todo, yo  manejo las maquinarias, yo manejo las herramientas, eso ya es una cosa secundaria, se puede decir, a relación de mi persona, porque primeramente la persona es la màs importante para dar servicio a toda la humanidad.

`ora, hacer un trompo o cualquier trabajo, lo primerito que se hace es conseguir la madera,luego de ahì se le corta en pedazos, segùn la cantidad que vaya a ser el tronco; `tonces ahì se le va poniendo en el torno, hasta cuando ya sale el trompo, pues uno se le comprueba si es que baila o no baila.

Un trompo que sea infinitamente lindo y para siempre es tener un trompo como joya artesanal, es un trompo de cacho, de cacho de toro----I suppouse he refers to wood, or the style of the top, I don`t know the meaning of "cacho de toro", I guees is ecuatorian slang------ahora lo menos que han salido los trompos de plàstico,...¡no valen! --I understand by his way to emphasize like he`s saying, !don`t work!---  porque los mismos niños, los mismos papàs de los niños que les fastidian a los papàs, ¡que no vale este trompo, quiero un trompo de madera, vamos donde el macizo ahì.. ahì hay buenos trompos!

.....Luisa Victoria Lascano (his wife)......

O sea, desde niños nos conocimos, yo le doy un beso, ¡pum! ella se cae muerta, `tos yo tuve que hacerme el vivo, entonces ahi fue la cosa que ya me pusò corbata y òra a casarse!..hha, ha, ha, ha..ha!!!

De, de los años de casado con mi esposa, adquirimos cuatro (4) hijos, dos varones, dos mujeres, de los cuales, de todos ellos, pues tengo once (11) nietos, un bisnieto....uno, dos tres ..(while he plays trompo and does a kind of rocket trick)....ahora por ejemplo, a comparaciòn con los niños actuales, solamente quieren aplastar un dedo y ya divertirse bastante, no les hacen desarrollar, ni les hacen descubrir la habilidad que tiene cada persona..ningùn juguete puede compararse con una cosa manual, la que uno tiene que tratar de hacerle bailar, porque ahì le hace desarrollar ¿còmo puedo hacerle bailar? ya le suelta...ya le sea la pua para abajo, sea la pua para arriba, tiene que darse modos como le hace bailar el trompo, y no sòlamente el trompo sirve como para
juguete, sirve para estudiar fìsica, es para estudiar la gravedad....

......Campeonato Mundial de trompo.....(a headtittle in the newspaper)

Ese campeonato mundial, por ejemplo, fue en Cochasquì, pero dentro de ese campeonato no hubo competidor para mì. Aparte de eso, todavìa yo mismo confecciono los...los trompos, `tons, de todas maneras, yo llevo las de ganar,
 no?

Ahora yo , por ejemplo, me he inventado unas treinta y cinco (35) a cuarenta y tres (43) formas de hacer bailar el trompo. Unos toman viada y le cogen asì, yo solamente vuelto abro los dedos y le empujo con el uno y ya sube a la mano

......Boys getting fun.....

El baile de la cuchara, le pongo en la cuchara, de ahì me pongo en mi boca, le tengo bailando ahì al trompo, entonces le hago el impulso para que suba a, a la gorra, bueno, ahora se llama a la azotea, ¿no? le hago bailar en el ---¿espereogràfico?-----asì mismo le mantengo bailando en mi boca al trompo, despuès ocupo una varita màgica de 50 centìmetros, la màs dificìl es la de un metro,`ntonces, sigue bailando el trompo ahì en la punta, hasta subir todo eso ya va terminando de bailar el trompo, entonces, es peligroso que me caiga en la cara, ...por ejemplo, esta tradiciòn del trompo macizo pues viene desde mi papà, en aquellos tiempos se habìa hecho un torno cuando no habìa luz elèctrica, con fuerza humana habìa que darle la vuelta, por medio de una manivela, èl hacìa, por ejemplo, en hilera, diez (10) trompos, pero habìa que cortarles uno por uno, habiìa que hacerles el hueco, ponerles la puà, despuès desbastar esto que quedò un poco grueso, y de ahì pasarle la escofina, despuès lija, y al final la puà, bueno, era un proceso bastante largo. Mi abuelo tambièn habìa sido carpinteria a mano, vuelta mi papà, ya habìa superado a mi abuelo, yo ya me mecanizè, agregàndole un motor, pues, sencillamente ya, se hace uno sòlo, ¿no? y me salen uno por uno los trompos, pero bien terminados, entonces, yo le superè a mi padre, el oficio que uno ha tenido le gusta, y tambièn, enamorado del oficio, entonces, todas las personas de aquì del barrio, todas las personas de las escuelas, colegios, todos ellos saben como se llama el trompo. Una vez viene un niño, pues.."buenos dìas señor macizo, dème un trompo"

Una de esas, le topè yo al, a mi amigo, el abuelito del niño, le digo " ve a tu nieto le has mandado a comprar, -Sì- ¿le diste un trompo?Si, le digo-pero venìa a decir, "buenos dìas señor macizo, dème un trompo" ¿No sabràs mi nombre?- No, hermano, disculpa, dice, ¿còmo te llamas? Yo le digo, Jorge Ribadeneira Granda, disculpame, mi hermano, de tantos años que nos conocemos ``¡uta!, sòlo por Macizo te conocemos todos, todos te conocemos por macizo, dice!
`tons ya, bueno, estàs disculpado, pero ya sabes el nombre..ya Jorgito, ya Jorgito...

Asì es la vida del arte.

----I reccomend you to listen the video and read this spanish text---
You `ll learn a liitle of spanish pronunciation.
Some days soon, I will write unto you the english translation..or if ta0 wants to do that action, I am not going to get angry at all!
Enjoy newly the video, the artisan from Ecuador says interestings things to everyboby.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 05:19:58 AM »

Thanks for the text with all the odd words included.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 07:20:22 AM »

Wow!!!  Thanks ARÀCNOCTAMBULO for all that hard work in listening and typing out the text.  That is terrific!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »

Wow!  ¡Te pasaste!  :o

That's a LOT of work you took. I don't know if I want to do the work . . .  :'(  Perhaps killswitch can start with a babelfish translation and then we can correct what is messed up?  Ideally, we would like to edit the video with the subtitles, but I have too many other projects . . .

killswitch

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »

babelfish is better then google translator?

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 09:26:56 PM »

ta0, please, a little favour,,can you edit the text..there is a couple of mistakes in the text, very easily to identify, by listening the audio in the video...is in the order of the words...I think next weekend I will translate into  english the text...
thaks..